Found in Circulation

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by joesmom, Sep 6, 2005.

1. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

The fact that your bill has the PO stamp to prove it's first day of issue, it only brings the value up, like, 25 cents. However, the star makes it (if it's 1976, which it probably is) $3.50 - $4.75.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Bringing this thread back to the front page ;)

Nothing major, but got a 2001 series $1 * in change yesterday which are always fun to find.

4. crispy1995

Found a 2003 $1 star last Wednesday.

5. thebest07

thebest07 New Member

i just recently checked my collection and found that i have a star 2 dollar bill. the serial number is L 00483974. it is a 1976 series, with some creases but other wise pretty good condition.. is it worth anything?

6. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

You can call this a find. Last Sunday I looked in my friends wallet and noticed he had a 1957A silver cert. in his wallet, so I traded a new bill for his. Closer examination showed it to be a STAR note. Not bad for a buck!!!

7. coins844

coins844 New Member

Hey all! I know I've been gone for a while but I came across a great find today at work! (im a cashier)
    -> A whole stack of dollar bills (100 of them to be exact) straight from the bank - 100 crisp star notes! in number order!
    No one seemed as amazed as I was. . their loss! I was only able to grab 5 of them for myself because I didn't have enough money on me to claim anymore. 5 crisp bills (in order) i wish i couldve grabbed them all!
    It was a good day! a very lucky day! (ugg - just saw pete p's post from 2005. im sad to see that i couldve turned the whole stack over for more than double its value :( ) you live and learn! im still happy with my set of 5 :)

on another note - i still havent gotten a chane to go through all of the old bills we just inherited from my grandfather. the one that got me most excited so far is a $500 bill from 1934! i need to keep looking and get back to you for some input. .

8. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

A nice crisp $5 star note series 2004, almost spent it .

9. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Added this one to my collection. Nice but has been folded.

Attached Files:

10. silver surfer

Nice ,where did you come across it?

11. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

Got it from a family member as a gift.

12. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

From what I understand, star notes are used to replace damaged/defective new bills, because it would be too difficult to recopy the exact serial number for each defective bill, due to the equipment used to print the serial numbers. The star just designates it as a replacement, and makes accounting easier.

13. silver surfer

Thats true,but they are rather rare and sell for a significant premium

14. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

I do not know if this would be considered from circulation, since I pulled it before it was circulated. I got my first RADAR note a few days ago. It was a Canadian $20, I pulled it from a bundle of twenties that came straight from the Bank of Canada.

15. Borgy

Borgy Member

Went to the bank today looking for the older style $5 notes, the teller had 2 stacks of 5's he went through for me, found 1- 1995 in XF condition half way through, as he was nearing the end he pulled another. Couldn't believe this one. 1934G FRN, fine condition. It's was my lucky day today.:rolleyes:

16. jackeen

jackeen Senior Member

Series 1934 FRNs make it to 1934D. After that, Series 1950 is current.

17. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

18. crispy1995

Both of these in a 3-day period: 1963-A $1 FRN (Granahan-Fowler), and a 1963-B $1 FRN (Granahan-Barr)!! I could sell it to some boob on eBay because it has a super low SN: 0036-----

19. BuffaloNickel86

BuffaloNickel86 Spare Change Hunter

I've got a Series 1995 $1 * with serial # A10616606 (in thoroughly circulated condition and with a Betty Boop stamp on the back), and a Series 1993 $5 * with serial # G00074443 (lowest i've seen). Used to have a lot more, but decided to keep just these two.

Also have a series 1988 $1 and a series 1934 $5 Federal Reserve Note, both received in change just a few weeks ago (and only days apart).

Attached Files:

20. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

A month or two ago I bought 2 separate lots of 5 1957-B $1.00 Silver Certificate STAR NOTES on ebay from the same seller. This seller had a bunch of consecutive STAR notes closing within a minute or two...
    The 2 auctions I won just happened to be for the same 5+5 consecutive notes. A total of 10 consecutive STAR notes. Absolutly GEM Centered consecutive STAR notes.

These 1957-B STAR Notes had a printing of a little over 49 Million notes. This seems a lot unless you conside theser 2 factors.

Factor#1
    Over 718 MILLION regular 1957-B notes were printed. Only 49 Million+ were STAR NOTES

Factor#2
    80-90% of all Silver Certificates were redeemed and destroyed in the mid to late 1960`s during the Silver Certificate VS the price of silver CASH IN REDEMPTION.

All consecutively numbered CU 1935G , 1935H, 1957, 1957A, and 1957B (all printed in the early 1960`s) $1.00 Silver Certificates are way rarer than their prices indicate. MOST were destroyed upon redemption in the 60`s

The so-called common 1935 G and H, and the 1957,1957A and 1957B STAR NOTES are REALLY REALLY Rare. Most were destroyed. Really.

I save the odd $1, $5, Ten and Twenty modern STAR NOTES if they are in AU or better. At least they are worth face value.

A cheap investment in STAR NOTES are any $1.00 Silver Certificates (CU) in the $8-$15 dollar range (EACH), and any RED SEAL $2 or $5 US NOTES in the $10 to $50 range from any Series 1953-1963 in CU.

Of course this is just my opinion.........

21. sumorada

sumorada Senior Member

star notes

HOWDY, i'm a fairly new member and have a couple of questions about some star notes that i have.
    i have a pack of 100 star notes in series, they are 2003 green seal (fw) they are from# K01585101* THRU K01585200* still stacked and unc. I have a book on small notes that list these at 10.00 each? could that be possible,i doubt it,one other interesting thing is the guy at the mint must have touched the plate or something because every bill has a fingerprint actually
    printed on each bill! need opinions please and thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted