Found fun stuff

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Craigescape, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

Talking with some coworkers and picked up two new coins. Just wondering what the group thought they would be worth,

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Sally Ride is a medal, not a coin. I can't read the COA when it is so small and laying on its side. Is the medal 90% silver? .999 silver? What does it weigh? It's probably only worth melt value or $10, whichever is greater.

I'm not sure about the other "coin" from the Marshall Islands. I don't even know if it is silver. We need more details.

Chris

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The COA says .999 silver, "slightly over one ounce". Silver is silver, and moon stuff is cool.

The Marshall Islands coin is cupronickel, and probably worth less than its face value.

5. Marshall Islands commeratives are a bit interesting from a legal perspective.
    They are theoretically worth the Marshall Islands exchange rate and redeemable there. Some time ago, a group of Germans bought a few hundred thousand face value of them (at collector value, which is generally below exchange rate) and tried to redeem them in person. The officials there said no, the Germans sued, and now the Marshall Islands limits you to exchanging one coin per day and charges Marshall Islands $5 per coin. Basically, they are a Franklin mint collectible.

They did issue some in silver, and those are worth at least their silver content.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted