Found an unusual penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ButItsSoShiny, Feb 14, 2011.

1. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

I came across a penny while digging through my change thats a little off from a normal penny.

Its a 1966 penny but the lincoln side is pressed in a little deeper, and slightly off. This means that theres a crater type feel to it and the letters "GOD WE TRUST" are now on the curve part of the crater. Its also off slightly left so that theres more of a lip on the right hand side and next to no lip on the left hand side.

Anything special about this coin?

I would post pics, but my camera cannot zoom in and pick up the detai :(

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Believe it or not, photos would help.

4. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

I do believe it, but as i mentioned at the bottom of my post my camera will not take close up shots of the coin. The damn thing goes out of focus and all i will get is a blur.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Without good photos it will be difficult for anyone here to help you. With only a description we can only guess.

6. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

ok, after reading up on my camera (its actually suppose to be pretty good for this sort of thing) and playing around with it for a few mins i got a few shots which will hopefully work. With the description in the 1st post, it should give you some idea as to what to look for in the pic. Its 5.15am here so i will try and play around with taking better pics later.

IMG_1017 (Large).JPG IMG_1019 (Large).JPG IMG_1018 (Large).JPG IMG_1021 (Large).JPG
    [​IMG]

7. EvilKidsMeal

EvilKidsMeal New Member

Maybe it's the pictures but it looks normal to me. I don't see anything off. It may very well be a little deeper struck than usual though.

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

What you're describing is a normal 1966 cent.

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Yes, the dies were cut much deeper for some reason during that decade (Up until '69, then they switched back) and it resulted in this deep dish look. I love them, I think they really give a nice quality to the cent. Shame the details on Lincoln were so degraded on the master dies by then. This one probably caught your eye because of it's color, it looks AU-ish to me. I keep the RD uncirculated ones. :)

10. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I LOVE the 60s cents (thru 68). The higher relief/deeper strike really makes for a nice looking coin. I keep all I can find that are in good shape......don't know why other than I really like them.

11. Merc Crazy

I have the lot of what I've found roll searching in 2x2's. Maybe I'll post a pic of 'em later.

12. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

It was actually how it felt. the edge of the coin sits higher than on a regular penny. That caused me to look closer at it and i also noticed it was stamped slightly off. If you look at the first pic, you will see the lip of the coin is wider on the right and very thin on the left.

13. Merc Crazy

Very minor mis-aligned die. Not worth anything until it's beginning to affect the letters and design of the coin.

14. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

Thanks for the info. I was bit by the coin bug a few weeks ago so this is all new to me.

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Well keep askin!!!! and welcome to the obsession!

Draft saved Draft deleted