Found a Wheat Penny in change today

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Got lunch at Wendy's and got a Wheat Cent back in change. I know its only a wheat penny but it's still cool to get one. Penny 1.jpg Penny 2.jpg

SmokinJoe, wxcoin, tmeyer and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I love it when that happens. I get just as excited as I do when I receive an expensive coin that I purchased.

SmokinJoe, ripple and Rushmore like this.
  4. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Just imagine what that little guy must have been doing these past 63 years and whose hands he may have been in.

LuckyCoin, SmokinJoe, ripple and 2 others like this.
  5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Haha I got a euro in my change at wendys a few weeks ago.

LuckyCoin and Rushmore like this.
  6. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Never gotten a Euro in change except for when I was in Europe this past summer but I have gotten a Mexican peso, Switzerland 10 rappen, and a Somali coin in change during my collecting career. Of course Canada as well.

LuckyCoin and YoloBagels like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes, it is nice to get something like that back in change.

LuckyCoin and Rushmore like this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I always love finding a wheat cent. The design of the coin is elegant.

I am not sure, because I am not an expert, but does this coin look like an off center strike?

SmokinJoe and Rushmore like this.
  9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I always get excited but can't read the date until I get home and put on my cheater glasses. They are always common dates but they keep me hoping.

LuckyCoin and ripple like this.
  10. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I'm very glad that this can still happen. It's been about 20 years for me.

LuckyCoin and SmokinJoe like this.
  11. JTL

JTL Member

I still find wheats in my change a few times per year. I’m always torn as to whether to keep them, or whether to return them to circulation so someone else can share in the fun of discovering it in their change or searching through a roll

12. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Cool! They are still around.

13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I still receive them in circulation on a regular basis. I do save every one of them.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you can find them Roll searching you can find them in change.

15. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure when I last got a wheat cent in change, but my wife got a 1957 Canadian cent in change yesterday. What is so unusual about this is that Canadian coins are so unusual in southern Louisiana that they are a really rare find. I found a Canadian quarter in a Coin Star machine last year, but, to date this latest cent is only the second one found here in the past 40 years.

16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

One thing that is better than finding a wheatie in change is finding junk silver in change.:smuggrin:

ripple, Hookman and Rushmore like this.
  17. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Getting Canadian coins in change here in northern Wisconsin isn't unusual. I'm stockpiling all of it in case I have to flee north in the middle of the night.

18. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I, as well, really like the wheat-back cent design & not a big fan of the Gasparro
    Lincoln memorial reverse. It has always struck me as being too busy, when compared to the elegance of the understated earlier design.
    Finding silver in change:
    Can't remember having that experience, but when I took up metal detecting many years ago, no one told me that when you dug up a silver coin from soil it comes to light as shiny as the day it was lost. (99% of the times, anyway)
    I still remember the thrill of pulling my 1st silver 'find', a 1944-D 'Mercury' dime XF from the local park's gumbo soil... small value but what a Great Thrill..
    & so it goes.
    Best Wishes to all, these holiday,
    J.T.

ripple likes this.
  19. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

Yup, but only coin collectors search their pocket change for them.

ripple likes this.
  20. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Amen to that! Been at least 10 years since I last found a silver coin in change and that was an FDR dime.

21. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I always scan the free customer change dishes that are found at many convenience store counters. When I come across one thats loaded to the gills with copper and I need time to rummage through it, I'll tell the clerk that I also want a pack of "Imperial Royale" cigarettes. Now of course, no such brand exists, but it does buy me the time that I need to do my hunting. I once found a dandy rb 15-D wheat that I should get graded one day. Anyway, at the risk of being ridiculed by the "but copper pennies are only an alloy" dude, I must reveal that I do extract all of the copper. Lastly, if I take 8 pennies, I always toss a dime back in, along with any zincons that I may have.

LuckyCoin and ripple like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted