Found a strange 1888 Indian head cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ValpoBeginner, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

At first I was I elated at the fact that I might have just bought an 1888 MPD, but then i got home and looked it up, its not the 88 over 88, unless there is another way that they created them. And definitely not the 88/87

Here is my pic of the date:

magnifier_20180621_063949-01.jpeg

Also suspicious mark around the nose... a die gouge or pmd. All that I remembered about the 88/88 was that it had a die mark somewhere on it.
    *** Another weird thing Ive been noticing in some of the less reputable pawn and coin shops is that my phone suddenly loses signal. I suppose they want you to do your cherry picking from memory. The books were also wrapped in plastic at this shop.

HERE IS ONE MORE.

Photo Editor-20180621_063828.jpg

tmeyer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Looks like damage to me. Cool looking damage, though!

4. ValpoBeginner

Thanks. Kinda reminded me of the peace dollar variety, I think the 1923, known as the mustache.

The thing that made me think of the 88/88 was not actually the nose mark but the marks inside the loops of the last 8. But the marks inside the loop on the valuable 88/88 are much different.

But alas I needed that date anyhow and I did get it for a fair price of $15.00.

5. mbogoman

mbogoman Active Member

Definitely PMD. The metal movement from the gouge is clear.

6. RickO

RickO Active Member

PMD.... Good album coin...

7. ValpoBeginner

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT. I'm sincerely grateful for the consensus.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This one I first put up several software upgrades ago, so don't know if the thread is still around. I had this on several forums, and some said Yes, and more said NO, so I put it aside until I got more time. That was about 8-10 years ago, so I dug up my photos. I thought their was enough markers on the date and the front bead of the necklace ( spike) for a 88/88, but just put it into the vault. I will have to search for it and reconsider with the additional knowledge and experience I've gain since then. Jim

1888rpd.JPG
    1888s2b.JPG

1888s2a.JPG

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  9. ValpoBeginner

I think I'll be doing the same. Theres nothing like time, to shift the doors of perception towards more clearly discerning either the mistakes you make in jumping to conclusions and the clarity that comes with
    Wisdom and sleeping on it. Thanks for sharing.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted