Found a cool serial number on a $1 note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Cazkaboom, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Found a cool serial number on a $1 bill: L6222232D D Series 2009. Circulated, Is it worth anything? I think it is cool. Should I keep it or spend it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

I say spend it.

4. Scotto

Scotto I collect what I like

Me? I'd spend it. But its cool to you, so keep it until you don't think its cool anymore.

5. phdunay

phdunay Member

I'd keep it, it's a cool number and only a dollar.

6. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I'd keep it. It's a trinary. I have lots of notes with very similar serial numbers that I just keep for fun.

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is an unlisted error variety. The serial number only has 7 digits.

Harry Brown, saltysam-1 and Facevalue like this.
  8. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I noticed that as well but I assumed the 'D' at the end meant something to go along with a fancy serial number. What is the 'D' supposed to be?

9. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I've seen the term "trinary" before but I'm not sure what it means. Three repeating numerals? How much value would this add to a note?

10. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

A Binary note is a serial number that only consists of 2 digits. For an example: L 11221122 D. The numbers of this could be mixed in different ways too such as L 12112112 D. Similarly, a Trinary note is where the serial number consists of 3 digits. L 12323123 D is an example of a trinary. While binaries are obviously far more desirable, some people, like myself, collect both.

-tbud

11. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I'd keep it since it is only on a $1 and not on a $20 or $50

12. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

What do you guys think about XF+ $20 IG 30383830 E? I don't really have the $ to keep it but is it something I should go out of my way for to keep? I could possibly find a way to keep it... Maybe. Please help me soon though as I need to get this $ deposited into my bank account like now. Thanks in advance for any help on the issue. Would you trade a F-VF 2006 $20 * from a high print run?: IF 04479395 *? I already have 2 other Atlanta '06 $20 stars but they are fromthe first run of 320k...

-tbud

13. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Spend — Other than a trinary serial number, what's special about the note?

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Repeater: 30383830.

15. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

A repeater is "3038 3038" — I don't think "3038 3830" is a repeater.

Facevalue likes this.
  16. MichealFlether

MichealFlether New Member

repeater or no-repeater I would keep such numbers just because I think they are cool.

17. jlg1130

jlg1130 New Member

It's a spender.
    The serial number isn't so spectacular, that it would warrant being saved. Especially, if you need the money. If it were a small denom note, yeah, sure, hang onto it, but not a $20.

Let it go, and don't give it a second thought. :)

18. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

To each his own but a "trinary" having any additional value is a reach.

19. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

People are attracted to all kinds of serial number variations, and I wouldn't disagree about keeping a note that you like! Collecting paper money is part technical and part aesthetics — If you like a note, then keep it!

20. AlanFromRoc

AlanFromRoc Member

sometimes sort-of-repeater numbers have aesthetic appeal to me. like 28606060 and 48482424

21. ForTHEkids

ForTHEkids Member

Picture.jpg
    I found this one today. Do you still consider this a RADAR with the 2 preceding Zeros and only one at the end?

Draft saved Draft deleted