Found a bunch of Japanese Ten Centavos

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by lincoln, Mar 27, 2016.

1. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

We're moving so I need to go through a few things.
    In a long-forgotten envelope I found 39 Japanese Ten Centavos notes, all in crisp, looks-like-they've-never-been-touched condition. I see them trying to be sold for anything from a couple bucks to $20, and they're average (or worse) looking. However, I don't see anyone buying them. I have inserted a picture of the front and back of one. Anyone got a ball-park on a value?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

MontCollector and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

5. paddyman98

I'm sure they are worth something to a collector of WWII history memorabilia. But nothing major in my book. Thanks for sharing.

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I don't think the Japanese Gov. used the centavo's denomination. Could the PR on the bill indicate Puerto Rico ?

Dave

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

These were from the Phlippines under Japanese occupation in World War II. They are uncirculated because no one wanted them. The failure of the Japanese invasion and conquest was clearly temporary. Also, the low value (cents to the hundred per peso) made them worthless.

They are memorabilia from World War II, nothing more. Unless they are known to have some uncommon signatures, they are worth 20 cents, not 20 dollars. Sellers on eBay ask whatever a stupid person will pay, and eventually they get their price, as P. T. Barnum predicted.

8. kaparthy

Nope. You need to research your history, not make assertions. They are from the Philippines.

CaptainMK likes this.
  9. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I've bought large amounts of them for just a few dollars. I like them for the historic value but that's it.

10. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

You are so right about the assertions Kaparthy, I apologize. I was only thinking that this occupation money was used in other regions besides the Philippines.

11. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I knew they were for the Philippines, and I had a feeling they were (nearly) worthless. Retirement postponed, again.
    Thanks all.

George Bryan Sparlin likes this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

My Dad brought a few home from his time in the Philippines . Still a cool thing to have . Mine are in used condition and some are quite fancy .

13. paddyman98

PR in this case stands for Philippines Republic.. I don't think Japan was anywhere near Puerto Rico during WWII. See the link I provided in post #2

The Philippines have many spanish words in there language. Centavos and Pesos originated from when they were under control of Spain. I am Puerto Rican and use the word pantalon which is how they say it in the Philippines. Pantalon means pants. ;)

14. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The PR does not stand for Philippine Republic. It is simply a block letter. While the P does designate the Philippines (M was used on Malaya, O for Oceania, B for Burma), the R is simply a letter in the sequence of block letters. They start at PA and go through PZ, then they are a divided block with P/AA, etc.

15. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I was thinking you were Irish from your sign in name.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. paddyman98

Oh.. OK thanks for the info

17. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

No assertions here. Everybody just please calm down! Just questions or passing on what I was told, which comes from a family's verbal history . . .

I got three of these today! A colleague's dad got them while in the US Army; he was a soldier assigned to General Mark W. Clark's units that went (per the story) from the Philippines to Ceylon to Italy to France . . . My colleague's understanding is that this script was issued by the Japanese in the Philippines to prisoners of war (the "PW"?). Sound reasonable?

side-_0001.jpg

18. kaparthy

Nice-looking notes. Not Prisoner of War. PW is just a serial letter. The Japanese issued tons of these for their occupied territories in the Philippines, Indonesia, etc. We call them "JIMs" for Japanese Invasion Money.

As for Gen. Mark Clark, distinguished though he was, Wikipedia places him nowhere near the Philippines.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_W._Clark

Others can chime in, but largely, no Americans from the Philippines went anywhere else except to Japanese prison camps where they were not issued money of any kind.

That all being as it may, the notes are artifacts of the Pacific War. If you like the history, the numismatic collectibles open a lot doors.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  19. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Good post and a nice reply.

20. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

These were in the bargain bin at the CS, 3 for $1

21. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Very cool thread with some interesting history.

I did not know these notes existed and will have to see if my LCS has some. Thank you @paddyman98 and @kaparthy for some great info!

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted