Found a 1923s SLQ in a cull bag! A cool (and kinda sad) story!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TylerH, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

So update if anyone is interested.

ICG notifies me its on its way back and is a “90” which I assume means it is 20 points better than perfect so, WINNING!!!!!!!

Actually I think 90 is their code for “damaged” which was expected. The authentication was all I wanted and that seems good to go.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Well - update. I guess 90 means “unable to grade my coin” sooooo...... there is that.

Damn it.

4. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

@Insider i would love your thoughts on why this would not grade.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Without the Slab # I cannot be specific. "90" covers lots of options. Usually it means we cannot be 100% positive that the coin is genuine. That chemical bath must have really etched the surface enough to make is look suspicious (if that was the reason for the 90).

Of course, you know the coin is 100% genuine. If I were you, I'd send it back in to ICG or any TPGS with a link to this site. It will be worth more in a slab.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ah, just found my way back to this thread after someone revived another "restoring silver dates" thread. I somehow missed the resolution from the TPG.

I wonder if the TPGs are concerned that an unscrupulous chemist could "raise" any arbitrary date on a coin this way? I can think of ways to do that -- but they would apply equally to Buffalo nickels, and those do get certified even after acid "restoration".

7. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

I decided not to resubmit the coin, and threw it on ebay as-is, with explanation and photos. Sold for about what a poor details level graded coin would have.

TypeCoin971793, -jeffB and serafino like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If it's the one I'm looking at, you put it at true auction (good move), and 24 bids later, it went for... considerably more than melt. :) So, now I'm back to wondering why we don't see them (restored-date SLQs) more frequently...

9. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

The makers of NIc-a-Date might want to invest in bringing back their old product Nic-a-Silver. I know I would buy it.

10. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

That's probably the one! I was very much "let the market" decide mode. I think I started it at 99 cents! I was very happy with the final price, and I think the buyer was happy as well. I like it when everyone ends up happy.

Ironically, the guy who eventually won it private messaged me on ebay offering me MORE than it sold for to end the auction early. So in the end he saved a bit of cash too :)

serafino and -jeffB like this.
  11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it sell for ?

Draft saved Draft deleted