Found a 1909-S VDB!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin Farley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

In addition to all the experts writing about diagnostics and yearly design modifications (which were great and very informative) I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that a 1909 s VDB would survive long enough in circulation to have that much wear before being plucked by a collector of some type. From what I've read about the history of the coin, they (along with most of the other first year Lincolns) were snatched up pretty quick by the public. Remember, up till that point, there had never been a historical subject on any U.S. coin. At the urging of President Roosevelt, that began to change the look of coinage and voila, we have beautiful coins like St Gaudens double eagle, Indian gold, buffalo nickel, SLQ, WLH and the list goes on. So, while it's possible a a coin like that may have been passed around for 40-50 years. I kinda doubt it.

Dynoking and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Ah, so there is the motivation. I looked at it on ebay and the photo is better for me for some reason. Looks like a "1" on ebay ironically.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Got to be kidding:eek:
    So he was trolling like some had mentioned but it didn't work out like he wanted.

Looks like he has a few scam penny's listed. I can't believe the evil in some people:(
    It's kinda funny that on the 4th pic in his ad, that you can clearly see the 1919 plus he's circling imaginary vdb's:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  5. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Does that look like a "V"?

Stevearino likes this.
  6. goossen

goossen Senior Member

what a disappointing outcome...
    Also, I’m no expert but for sure it is a 1919.

7. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I wish you could put arrows to show what you are describing. It's hard to follow exactly for me.
    These do look different to me:
    1909:
    https://tinyurl.com/y58u2mkp
    1919:
    https://tinyurl.com/y685qmb2

But I kind of do see a "V" in the photo I posted above.

8. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

is there a VDB on the reverse? !919 S on the VDB obv shoulder of our 16th President

9. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I find it amazing that a troll places a thread at 10:14 then posts his last comment 38 minutes. All constructive comments continue without word from the troll. Next, we find the coin on eBay @$300 starting bid. What's up with that?

Stevearino and Peter Economakis like this.
  10. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Not exactly sure why people are calling him a troll. Just because his opinion differs?
    He may be wrong, but I believe he is convinced he is right. He is considering getting it slabbed. That would be interesting!

Robert Ransom likes this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have a 1922 no D Put it under a high resolution microscope there is absolutely no D, look at it through your eyes and there appears to be a weak D... Which is it. I would rather not guess so I took it to our local numismatist his remark "Wow, that is a anomaly, you should get a second opinion." I went home placed it in a slab with a tab saying 1922 D or No D? Your guess is as good as mine end of story!

12. Robert Ransom

Slabbed? Really? I do not think he will because that would only confirm what he was told. What does it take to convince someone they are wrong? How many members have tried to educate him? I do not recall him accepting any help.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  13. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

I also think the slab comment was never going to happen.
    He also has a few other so called error coins listed on ebay.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  14. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

True, however, at least anyone that comes across this thread that may not already have the knowledge disseminated here may be able to glean some good honest information on the subject. So, at least his trolling may be constructive and beneficial for others to learn. Especially, another eBay seller to be wary of.

15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

No he isn't considering that. You've been around long enough to know that would never happen. Also, the fact that he already listed it on ebay is just more proof.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I hope everyone will report the listing, although I doubt it'll do much good. Search on "WORN BUT BACK HAS VDB INITIALS".

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Robert Ransom

The benefit provided by the members is positive in that regard and I agree.

18. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Sorry, I have been busy with a few other projects with the kids the past few days. The ability to see some of the differences in design varieties on photos is really dependent on lighting mostly. Especially for coins with a lot of luster, it can sometiimes be more difficult to tell. I have taken the referred coins at Apmex and marked some of the general differences I previously referenced. I also included another lower grade brown coin that allows you to see the significant differences in the 1909 Licoln cents more clearly.

I marked the differences in the closure of the vest in red. Green shows where the two triangles would generally be on the 1909. And cyan shows the trench on the 1919, or how Lincoln just came from the inaugural party for the new cent design as his shirt is all ruffled and puffed out all over the place. Once you know where these differences are, you will be able to tell quite easily the design variety, even on well many well worn coins.

1909S-delineate_DV.jpg 1909SVDB-DV_clear.jpg 1919S-delineate_DV.jpg

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I reported it. I don't have much faith that anything will happen. Hopefully a "biddiot" doesn't buy this scammer's coin. Then again, a fool and his money...

bradgator2 and Robert Ransom like this.
  20. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I wrote to him via ebay saying it looked like a 1919 and he wrote back saying he was considering getting it slabbed. Who cares any more? Not me. But this thread was indeed instructive so I'm glad it happened.

furryfrog02 and Robert Ransom like this.
  21. Robert Ransom

Yes and only a novice would bid on a coin of this magnitude that is not slabbed. :banghead:

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted