Found a 1909-S VDB!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin Farley, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Send it in, if you are right, the value will be increased!

4. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I am glad to see your enthusiasm in sharing your find. It is quite a rare occurrence to come across a valuable specimen "hiding in plain sight". I personally have come across a rather worn 1912-* Liberty nickel that I have been tossing around in the mind whether it be a D or an S. I'll probably throw it out to the forum at some point myself simply for honest non-biased opinions.

Authentication may not be the easiest area of numismatics, but it is prerequisite to even determining a proper grade (and thus market value). There are many aspects that go hand-in-hand when it comes to authentication. There are a number of considerations to be made such as markers, mint mark styles, mint mark placements, date placement, tooling marks, weights and measures, die stages, die pairs, etc, etc.

However, the very first thing that anybody should do in authenticating is make sure that the design variety matches. If the design variety does not fit the coin, then it is 99.9% suspect already. There are those few occasions of transitional varieties.

In 1909 (for all three mints that produced them) there was a unique obverse design variety that was used. This variety depicted a triangle within a triangle on your right side of the vest. The closure of the vest was also very close to the bottom end of the bust design. in 1910, the vest closure was slightly higher with only one large triangle on the vest.

By 1919 (another year with a unique obverse design variety), the vest had been redesigned where there was a trench following from the tie to the bottom end of the bust along your right on the vest. In 1909, the shirt "puffed out" and crossed into the right vest design.

I have quickly compiled some pictures for you to consider including the vest area of your own coin. As you will be able to see, the design variety on your specimen is ODV-008 which corresponds to the 1919 design from all mints. Sorry for the low quality, but I've other things to do at the moment and these pictures are clear enough to see the differences.

1909SVDB-low_qual.jpg 1919S-low_qual.jpg 1919S-mid_qual-low_res.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  5. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

I'm sorry Mr. B, not to knock you on this, but the design variety makes it plain. That is how I myself am so sure. I hope my previous post helps you to sharpen your authentication skills. As a resource, you can always use Dr. Wiles' www.varietyvista.com site for modern design varieties.

Robert Ransom and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

You sound like a smart farmer to me. You remind me of the joke about the project manager and the farmer.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  7. Wintry Mix

Wintry Mix Member

I don't see V.D.B. but I do see the 0 that you've circled in one of your photos, but it appears too small and high - and actually appears to be attached to the 9.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LOL. You know, we have been reading your posts, so we know better. ;)

9. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

If the OP would just show a pic of the bottom of the bust, the initials may or may not appear. And we mean a CLEAR pic.

Beefer518 and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But what "fun" would that be?

Kentucky and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Whoa, slow your roll, you have received advice from some of the best in the business. Everyone here including me would be ecstatic if you found a genuine 1909 S VBD. Unfortunately I too do not think that is a 1909. Hang around here. Read, follow advice. We will not steer you wrong. Peace and happy CRH!

12. Dynoking

+1

13. Dynoking

Your reply made me have to look up the joke;

A sheep farmer is tending his flock when a city slicker rolls up in his BMW, hops out and asks, "Hey, if I tell you exactly how many sheep you have, can I take one?" The farmer nods, so the city slicker opens his laptop, calls up some satellite photos, runs some algorithms, and announces, "You have 1,432 sheep."

Impressed, the farmer says, "You're right. Go ahead and take one." So the city slicker loads one of the animals into the backseat of the car. "Now," says the farmer, "I'll bet all my sheep against your car that I can tell you what you do for a living."

A gaming sort, the city slicker says, "Sure."

"You're a consultant," says the farmer.

"Wow!" says the consultant. "How'd you know?"

"Well," says the farmer, "you come from nowhere even though I never asked you to. You drive a flash car, and waer a smart suit. You told me something I already knew. And you don't know anything about my business. Now give me back my dog."

Thanks for the chuckle, silly grin, and a short diversion from today’s problems.

14. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Yeap, that's the one. That final punchline never stops being hilarious.

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  15. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Things like this are always hard but it many hundreds of times more likely to be a 1919 and I agree it appear there is a 1 there . It’s nice to dream and if the original poster feels confident send it to PCGS or NGC and see what they say. I side on its likely a waste of money

16. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

looks a 19-s to me, as well

17. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

This line exactly by Dynoking..

Capture.PNG

Dynoking and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  18. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

Crystal clear? Really? If it were, there wouldn't be a debate. I sure don't see it. I don't see a 0 either. I guess your eyes are better than mine. Or maybe your computer monitor is much better.

19. Rick B

Rick B Well-Known Member

I will study your post again. Thanks.

20. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

OP put this coin up on ebay as a 1909S VDB. Talk about scammer.

In fact, there are several coins for sale that have been posted on the forums and subsequently debunked as not being what OP said they were.

OP is definitely NOT worth wasting time on in the future.

21. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Starting bid of price of $300 lulz

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted