Found 1999 Wide AM Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kasia, Aug 26, 2011.

1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Here's what I found on the ANACS report

1988 RDV 006 (reverse 89) 25 Not currently authenticated by NGC or PCGS
    1988 D RDV 006 4

1992 CAM 0
    1992 D CAM 7

1998 WAM 275
    1998 WAM 129
    2000 WAM 525

The '92 CAM is believed to be only a single die discovered to date
    The 88 D RDV006 fewer than 12 believed found to date

For more information about the coins http://www.lincolncentresource.com/

gary

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Here is a larger picture of the coin. If anyone can help me with grading this, feel free (please!)

Attached Files:

4. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Better pictures! MS-63RD.....it's a nice find!!

5. Kasia

I'm shocked! I think I might put it through PCGS at some point when I get a number of coins to do, and go through a dealer to do that.

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

You have to check first with the grader, because PCGS does not authenticate a lot of the varieties and NGC doesn't either. I know they don't authenticate the 88 RDV-006 cent, because I checked. My local dealer was the one who pointed that out to me. I also know someone who sent a 1988 D reverse 89 and it came back graded and slabbed without the variety authenticated or certified. Big Whoop ! So he had to send it to ANACS. Say what you will, ANACS is on top of the new game of varieties VAMs, errors, etc. They get all the cents I submit.

gary

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

I agree with BADTHAD, MS63 Red.
    Gary has got it right too. ANACS did two varieties for me three years ago. I do not know if they'll authenticate, grade, and slab the 1988 reverse 1989 though.
    zeke

8. Kasia

Regardless of what service I go through, when it asks for the owner's value, how is that determined?

9. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

The 2012 Red Book lists the 1999 WAM with its own line and a value of $500 in MS65. There is no mention of 1988 and 1989 varieties. They are interesting, but I don't expect they will ever catch on in a big way.

Being in the Red Book, I would expect PCGS to recognize it and perhaps not even charge a variety fee. A 1972 Philly Ike type 2 has no variety attribution charge there.

10. BadThad

PCGS atrributes these, just make sure it's on the submission form. The value is just approximate, I'd put it at $300.

ANACS is definately the #1 variety attributer IMHO. They do an excellent job! However, I'd put this in a PCGS slab for increased value.....these are rare in MS grade. With PCGS the grade will be highly dependent on luster. Does it cartwheel? There's a chance they could 62 it.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

They did my 1988 D reverse 89. It is one of the 3-AU55s. The other 3 coins (1-AU40, 2-AU55) are owned by a collector in NC . The latest info on this variety is that it will be featured in the next edition of the Cherrypicker's Guide.

I had mine authenticated by CONECA, then certified, graded and slabbed by ANACS.

For varieties I don't think I would even mess with the other TPGs. I mean ANACS is the oldest and probably the most knowledgable. I kinda think PCGS & NGC have commercialized the industry a lot. I mean I read that they have marketed themselves in a manner that is to increase dealer profits through their grading.

Just sayin'

gary
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

If thee 88 cent with the reverse of 89 makes the CPG, it has reached the big time and PCGS might authenticate them then.
    Any idea when the the new edition will be out?
    How about Vol II of the fifth edition? It was supposed to be announced with a date in this year, but I haven't seen anything on it lately?

13. Kasia

Thanks for the info...yes, it cartwheels. I will probably PCGS this just for the increased value, since they generally can get the highest values for the grading, but for some of my other coins I will probably go ANACS.

14. BadThad

Let us know the grade when you get it back Kasia!

15. Kasia

Definitely will, but it may be a couple months. I guess I have to find a dealer I'm comfortable with to have submit for me, as I don't "belong" to PCGS, and may not have too many coins to submit at one time. Or I guess I could "join" at some point. ??? I missed turning it into them at the Long Beach show by about an hour, they had closed for submissions by the time I committed to myself that I would get it slabbed, and went to their table.

16. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "88 cent with the reverse of 89" and also what do you mean by cartwheel? Thanks

17. Kasia

check out this page and you should have good idea of cartwheel http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/f/shiny_coins.htm

t
    he 88 with reverse of 89 is a transitional error, where the reverse intended for only 1989 (6th memorial reverse change) was used on some cents in 1988. Primarily is found through looking at the FG (designer's initials) because the G on the 1989 has a serif at the left upward stroke (like this G) and the 1988 reverse does not have that, it is sans serif.

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Since the Cherrypickers' guide is now listing the 88 reverse 89 in the new edition, it now has a FS # and is thought to be picked up by Redbook soon after. However, since there are fewer than a dozen 1988 D RDV006 that have been found, there are none for sale. A year and a half ago, one sold on eBay for the $500 range, but it was returned to the seller. It was a PCGS coin and thought NOT to be the variety. I kinda spent time to contact as many of the other owners of these as I could. One collector has all the authenticated ANACS coins except mine. He said that he wasn't interested in selling in his lifetime. Period. Another owner (unauthenticated, raw coin) told me he might consider $10k. So, if you want to complete a LMC set, I guess you kinda need the transition coins. You can get a P for $40-80, but the D's aren't for sale anyplace. What's the value ? I guess it all depends on how much a buyer and seller can agree to. Certainly, not all collectors can complete their LMC collections because the 1992 CAM and the 1988 D reverse 89 are all but impossible to obtain. A big deal ? Nah, unless of course you WANT to complete the series. Most people aren't that serious about collecting this series, although there are some that are. IMHO

It is almost like the VAM's.........really, only the people who collect them even care. As well as the type B and type C Washingtons. They are out there, but only a few people actually are interested enough to collect them

gary

19. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

The transitional varieties, imho, are absolutely not necessary to complete the set. A full lincoln cent set would be 1909 to present, all business strike coins, not varieties. Now, if you're going for a major variety set, you might include the '88 RDV-006 as well as the CAM's/WAM's and a couple of the major DDO's and '22 no D, but that's a Variety set, not the core set.

20. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Sure, you can collect a set any way you want to. People even collect year sets without the mints. Some collect Roosevelt dimes without the proofs. And most people just collect what the folders have holes for. Ya know, I've seen them without slots for the 60 & 60 D sm date nor the 70 S sm date even. ALL I am saying is that when collecting the Lincoln Memorial series, the transition coins are a part of it. But kinda like with the 1943 copper cent (if it ever existed), not everyone will be able to get one. There are those who do want the rare ones though. I mean I find the transitions more desirable that die varieties, because with the transitions, the mint made a mistake. They didn't get the dies done at the same time and sent some mules out. But it's kinda like the recent sale of the 1992 CAM on eBay for $12,000. Nobody needs it for a set. But with only a single known die and with more than 33,000 ANA members, an estimated 2,000,000 + collectors, some people are attracted by the rarity alone. I don't care as much about the 98-00 WAMs, because having the proof die used for a business strike isn't that interesting. Like the type B Washingtons. I mean, I do save them, mount them, etc. but would LOVE to get a 92 D & 92 CAM. And I hope to eventually. I would like to be the first person to register a Lincoln Memorial Set COMPLETE with the 4 transition coins! Just sayin', I mean how cool would that be ? Right now there might only be 1 person in the whole US that could say that, and I don't think he has the 92 CAM. So there is still a chance to be the first. lol I been looking like crazy for those 92s too !

gary

21. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Thank You.

Draft saved Draft deleted