Found 1999 Wide AM Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kasia, Aug 26, 2011.

1. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

pennsteve has been here 4 days. Come on folks, be kind and welcome him.

For the record I would consider the AM of AMERICA on the 2010-2011 coins as more of a wide AM than a close AM. But in the absence of a second variation, hardly anyone at all cares.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

People like you are the reason most forums fail. Just because you think you know it all doesn't mean that everyone else does too. I've seen posters like you on many forums. Usually they are moderators on a power trip who ban you for speaking up.

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Pennsteve, really sorry. I in no way meant to be snotty. Welcome to this forum, and I hope you stick around. There are a lot of guys/gals here with a lot of good information. I'm relatively new to this forum myself (but not new to the hobby). Best in your pursuits, and hope to see you here lots.

Cheers. :welcome:

5. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It's a totally different design. Heck, it's 5 different designs if you count '09. Maybe if you did some research on why a WAM could exist (It's essentially a proof reverse die) you'd realize that when the design was changed, the entire concept of a WAM would change with it.

By the way, I don't know it all, not by a long shot, but I sure do know my stuff about WAM's/CAM's.

6. pennsteve

Asking a question here IS research. If someone here knows the answer then I won't have to go searching through 100 websites to find my answer.

7. Merc Crazy

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

He's just giving a little tough love, relax, grow some skin. :)

9. Merc Crazy

This.

It's the whole give a man a fish vs teach him how to fish analogy here.

10. I am new here and know what ill ask is far from what you guys are talking.I have a 1995 half dollar that is printed the same way on coin front and back.If you hold it with the head up and flip it over the back is down same as the head on other side.Anyone have any information on this coin.

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Are you asking about a two-headed half? If so you may have a coin that someone made into that.

12. falsestier

falsestier New Member

I think Woody is saying his half dollar isnt minted like a coin, but a medal. So hes saying if he flips it and the obv. is upside down, so is the reverse.

13. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

NO NO NO ! Nearly EVERY 1992 Cent is a Wide A-M. The die with the CLOSE A_M (CAM) is the rare one.

For rarity the LMCs are likely 1992 CAM 1988 D RDV 006 / 1992 D CAM / 1988 RDV 006/ These are "Transition cents" where the dies were mixed with those of the following year creating a "Mule" coin. Half one year and half another.

The 97-00 Wide A-M (WAM) are NIFC (Not Intended For Circulation) Proof dies used on the reverse. Much the same as the Type B Washington Quarters.

14. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Typically, these are magician's coins. You can buy them from various sites on-line for about $25.

15. pennsteve

What he means is, if you flip it from side to side, the reverse should be upside down as compared to the obverse, but they are both right side up.

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I don't know what he means, which is why I asked him a question. Until he answers, we can assume what he means, which different people will see different ways. But if he's flipping it over (a coin turn) and it is US made, it should be heads up/tails down, so that you have to then "right" it to see it properly. If he's flipping it over from top to bottom, then both sides will remain "right side up" if US made, unless they have die rotation. Then again, it may be a magician's coin (a gaffed coin) or just an altered coin.

17. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I spent about $60 on the last one I had authenticated, certified, graded and slabbed when you included all the shipping charges, insurance, etc. If I remember correctly. It's not cost effective for yours. IMHO
    Thad, you think it would grade as high as a AU40 ?

18. soory so long responding but i work odd hours and am up late at night most times.The coin i told you about is i think a real coin as its size and weight seem to be those of a half dollar.It is made of the same metals copper and silver and when held side by side by another half all the marks are the same as the others. I found it in a box i had saved for years.Do you have any idea where i can look to see if such a coin could have made it through the mint.Also i have a 1955 i think double die wheat that the 5 is missing because of where the double happened.Would this make this coin worthless.Thanks for any help.

19. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

1959-1992 and 1994-2008 but not all cents have it after 1991.

20. no its a real half dollar as far as my eyes can tell.It looks feels like the right weight and looking at the coin edge its mde from copper or clad and silver.Ihas every feature as a half dollar and i found it in my coins that id been through many times.Until last week i had a hundred and fifty of them that i had saved over the years.This one i kept because of the back and front being turned in the same direction no matter how the coin is held.Thanks for your reply and outhers as well.

21. Merc Crazy

180 degree reverse rotation. Cool error.

Draft saved Draft deleted