Found 1999 Wide AM Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kasia, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I am excited: I just found a 1999 Wide AM Cent in a CRW.:hail:What is this coins approx grade? Value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Conratulations! great find. I don't have one yet. :(

4. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

Please inlighten me on what this is. Im curious. I mainly do paper currency, but it never hurts to look out for one of these, as I do anyways for weats. :)

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

In the word "America" there is a space between the A and the M. Usually they are touching or close to it. So this one is called the wide AM as opposed to the close AM.

6. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

I fail to see a space in the first two pics but then the last pic has like a white space which doesn't look like an error at all. Sorry Im confused, I am still learning coins :).

7. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

The wide AM occured in the 1997,1998,1999, and 2000. 1999 is the rarest and hardest to come by. It occured when the proof dies for those dates were used to strike buiseness coins intended for circulation such as the one you found. I've ben looking for those in a while and STILL havent found one yet. Were you coin roll hunting? As for value, you should expect ATLEAST 50 dollars. CONGRATS

8. sorry, but the 1999 Wide AM is no where near the rarest; it's actually the fifth rarest. The rarest is the 1992 close AM

9. kdizzler

kdizzler Junior Member

Yes the 1992 close am is the rarest, then the 1998 wide am I believe.

Still a good find, have yet to come across one.

10. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Damn, I had no idea there was a 1992 WAM. Can someone tell me every year this occured because I was told it was only from 1997-2000

11. tbudwiser

tbudwiser Active Member

So what are all the minting years of this unique error?

12. Kasia

Yes - I have been experiencing a lot of skunk boxes and loose coins, but the other day I went into my bank to turn in a bunch of rolled quarters, and the teller said "I have a box of pennies, I think you will want it." Which was weird in that what would single out that box? So I asked, and he said that a customer brought them in rolled. So I said yes and made the comment that probably it was already searched, and my time would be wasted, and the teller said he didn't think so, because the guy that brought them in was a waiter or something, so he didn't think the coins were anything more than someone having a bunch over time and finally bringing them in.

I have also found an 1952-S in this box so far. I have only gone through 9 rolls of the 50 so far, so I am hoping for continued good luck.

Guess I will have to give the teller a small value starbucks card or something.

Also today, I found a 1979-S SBA from loose coins at the bank.

13. Kasia

The last pic is only as a confirmation of this variety/error. The designers initials were "close" to the monument in the wide AM and "far" from the monument in the close AM. So that doesn't show the error, but confirms it.

The third pic is the defining one. The A and M are not "connected" (or nearly so) at the bottom of those letters in the wide AM. In the close AM they are nearly touching each other.

The Close AM for the 1993-2008 was standard for the Business Strikes (Circulation coins) and Wide was the Standard for the Proofs (I think all those years on proofs, but could be wrong). So any mixing up of the reverse dies is a error. 1992 has some Close AM's that are very rare. Then it's been known for some other years, particularly 1998-2000 (Philadelphia) to have the wide AM, and of those 3 years, 1999 is the hardest to find. I don't get too many (comparatively) Philly mints on the west coast here, but when I have, NOTHING. Until now. Also If you have any proof coins for these years, check to see if they have used the Business Strike (opposite from what I told you for the circulating coins) on the reverse. If they have that is also worth a bit.

14. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

I have some 2000 cents with a wide AM that are not the variety. Because of this, my favorite PUP is FG. This is closer to the memorial on the true wide AM varieties.
    The G has a couple of serifs on it that are not on the narrow AM variety.

15. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

All 1993 cents including proofs are the wide AM version.

16. Kasia

I think you mean they are all the CLOSE AM version.

17. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Here is a link which will fill you in on Wide A M 's.http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

A
    s you can see there is no 1997 WAM. From 1993 tp 2008 the word AMERICA has the A and the M touching. Through die wear a very small space may occur.

Your 1999 WAM has som wear to it so its value might be about $25 dollars. They are tremendously hard to find. Here's the best of my two 99 WAM's:

Attached Files:

18. dpfeifer

dpfeifer New Member

1999 W AM Capped die obverse

I found a 1999 wide AM that has a capped die on the obverse. You can just barely see Lincoln and you have to look very close to see the date. (the light has to be shining on it just right). I will try to get some pictures of it that show enough detail. It is very clean and shows no wear. Anybody know what it is worth or how to have it graded and verified?

Thanks

19. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

WAM/CAM varieties by rarity;

1992 CAM
    1992-D CAM
    1999 WAM
    1998 WAM
    2000 WAM

1993 and later are all close AM's unless a special variety, which are only known to exist in '98-'00.

Sincerely,
    Guy who has found about 30 WAM's.

20. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Merc, you must be the King in Waiting. Doesn't BadThad hold the throne?

Thirty, Holy Cow, that puts my 17 to shame bigtime! lol

21. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

NICE FIND! AU-50

I have to disagree with Zekeguzz, the 1999 WAM's are scarce, I'd put it closer to $100+....no way I'd sell it for less. These are tough coins. I sold a 65 for $550 a few months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted