Found 1992 close AM penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kendgreat, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...I can’t see the pics. Tried both logged in and logged out as a guest. Can the OP or forum member repost? Please and TY...Spark

Hookman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

The OP never posted a picture, we're waiting. icon_smile_popcorn.gif

Hookman likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In July 2012 a very special Lincoln Penny minted in 1992 sold for over $20,000 at a Heritage Auction Galleries sale. As common as 1992 pennies are, this was no ordinary penny to say the least. This specimen was the rare "Close AM" variety in uncirculated condition and was graded as MS-64 by Professional Coin Grading Service.

What Makes This Penny so Special?
    In the 1990s and early 2000's, the United States Mint used different dies for producing coins for circulation and proof coins for collectors.

Due to a mix-up at the mint back in 1992, a proof die was used for the reverse of the coin before it was supposed to be used starting in 1993. The distance between the feet of the AM in AMERICA is a distinguishing factor, as is the distance between the FG initials and the base of the Lincoln Memorial. This variety was produced at both the Philadelphia and Denver mints.

Why Aren't There More?
    There are probably many more still circulating with other Lincoln cents today. But unlike other mint errors that are quite obvious even to the non-coin collector, this one is very subtle. The average life of a one cent die in one of the coining presses at the US Mint can produce hundreds of thousands of coins. Therefore, it is almost certain that there are many left to be found.

Since this variety is difficult to spot in your pocket change not many have been found. Currently, PCGS has only certified 22 1992 Close AM out of the total mintage of almost 4.6 billion coins from the Philadelphia mint and certified only five coins out of the entire population of almost 4.5 billion 1992-D Lincoln cents from the Denver mint.

if you were to find one in circulation today it is most likely to be classified as a circulated coin. But even in circulated condition, it is still worth several thousand dollars!

How Can I Tell If Mine Is a Valuable 1992-D Lincoln Penny?
    The obverse of all 1992 and 1992-D Lincoln pennies are the same.

The difference is on the reverse. Look closely on the back of the coin at the AM in AMERICA. If the AM are touching at the bottom this is the rare variety. If there is a little space between the letters, then it is a common coin that is worth only face value.

Although it is impossible to know the exact quantity of coins that escaped into circulation, we are certain that a limited quantity of these coins are still waiting to be found. Be sure to check your pocket change and see if you have this or any other Lincoln cent key dates, rarities, and varieties in your possession.

Stevearino, Hookman and Spark1951 like this.
  5. Spark1951

...as a guest, posts #5 and #17 display from the OP as if he tried to post pictures.

...logged in, these 2 posts are not displayed. But posts #18 and #19 are responses from forum members to apparent posts including pics...strange and confusing...Spark

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nah I think they are just pretending.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. Spark1951

...they did a good job...they pretended me out of my long johns!…Spark

8. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I say, if he can trade it for a cup of coffee, then odds are...it was real o_O

9. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I've been looking for those for some time, with no luck. It's good to know there are still possibilities out there.
    Thanks

Michael K likes this.
  10. Islander80-83

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.36.11 PM.png

11. Spark1951

@Kendgreat ...pictures of your 92 CAM?...Spark

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'll try to remember that

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Islander80-83

I told you, the OP is done.

14. Kendgreat

Kendgreat New Member

Sorry for the late response but here are the photos ..

Attached Files:

15. Kendgreat

Kendgreat New Member

Here's the photos

Attached Files:

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks for actually pulling through and posting pictures. Unfortunately, the resolution is not high enough for me to make an accurate assessment.
    Let's see if the other guys have better eyesight than me

17. Spark1951

...a clear, non-pixelated close-up is needed.

If it holds up, a quick google shows USA Coinbook valuing a 92-D in MS @ $518...enough to justify a TPG look, imo...Spark

18. Islander80-83

Never mind.

MontCollector likes this.
  19. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well it's not a D though.

Bad pictures. "TAT" looks right with the A slightly shifted to the right, the "AME" Spacing looks good and the "FG" is off the building base enough.
    Looks legit enough from these pics, which aren't the greatest though, I wouldn't spend the money on it unless it was graded, or I could see it in person though.

If it is, it's not in Mint state I don't think based on the pictures, again would need to see it in hand.

I can't also tell from the pictures if someone crafty didn't mate two coins together to create this in a machine shop.

As far as I can go with it off these pictures. excuse me if I'm skeptical, theres like 17 total graded by PCGS, maybe 30 examples over all grading companies so it being manipulated is a high possibility, but there's got to be more out there somewhere than just 30 or so of them.....good luck

Stevearino likes this.
  20. Spark1951

...I agree, not MS...and has a blotchy look to it. I was holding off on offering an analysis until better pics...and I couldn’t find a listing for a 92 Philly CAM...Spark

21. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Welcome back!!

As stated this looks to be a Philly coin not a Denver.

I agree. Looks like it could be a 1992P CAM. I would bring this to a local coin shop to have them verify it in hand.

Stevearino and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted