Found 1830 Half Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Cannonball, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

So I dug up this 1830 half dime yesterday. Could anyone here attribute/value it. It looks a little bit like LM3 but I really don't know. It's a ground pounder so it's got the environmental damage and still dirty. Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

longshot, chascat, Muzyck and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

St
    It still looks very nice for a ground find. Try an acetone soak to remove anything you can and that would give everyone a better look to give a reasonable valuation.

Cannonball, Inspector43 and GH#75 like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I call that dirt "pay dirt." :) Where you been digging, anyway?

Cannonball likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There is a lot of detail left on her. Try soaking in acetone.

Cannonball likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice, the only half dimes that I have ever dug were seated ones.

Cannonball likes this.
  7. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

I make that to be LM-7, Rarity 2. Obverse 4 has stars 6 and 7 distant, with the 830 of the date successively higher. Reverse K has the ICA of America level, and the O directly over the first U in Unum. LM-3 is really close in a lot of ways - but the distance between S6 and S7 is not as vast in Obverse 2 as it is in Obverse 4, and Reverse H of LM-3 doesn't have the same straightness in ICA, and the O over Unum is a tiny bit left of center. VERY similar coins, though!

Regarding value, it's not a scarce item and it's got environmental damage, so I don't think you are gonna be able to vacation off the find. But it's super cool to find in the wild like that!

Anthony Mazza and Cannonball like this.
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

THANK YOU bikergeek. I guess that you really know your H-10's. Are you that good with Liberty Cap Half Cents??? I found a 1794 a couple of weeks ago in a different site. It's another ground pounder. Do think that you can attribute it?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

THANK YOU bikergeek. I guess that you really know your H-10's. Are you that good with Liberty Cap Half Cents??? I found a 1794 a couple of weeks ago in a different site. It's another ground pounder. Do think that you can attribute it?

10. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

I have the excellent Logan-McCloskey book handy and I'll give it a shot! Please post images (and if you decide to start a new thread, please tag me). Depending on the state of the coin (and your camera) we'll see what we can do.

But I will say: finding a 1794 half dime in the earth is AWESOME.

Mainebill likes this.
  11. bikergeek

bikergeek Active Member

Oops, I just reread that more closely! Not at all good with half cents; I thought we were still on half dimes. Teach me to multitask. Sorry @Cannonball

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Start a new thread on your cap cent. There are plenty here that can identify it.
    There are plenty here that would just like to see it.

bikergeek and SensibleSal66 like this.
  13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very nice to dig up

15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

@Vertigo, you called? I've been in Augusta, GA for the last week; Family; Friends; Golf; Rich Food & Drink. Six rounds in six days - the old geezer still has some life left in him! Am just now catching up on CT.

No comments on the half dime attribution but I am stunned that this was a ground find.

Can help with a 1794 half cent, like many others here, if decent photos are posted.

16. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I figured it would be something you'd like

Draft saved Draft deleted