FOSSILS--- An Ancient Alternative

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Recently, I noticed a well-known eBay coin dealer branching off into fossils and I was immediately enthralled and started to browse what was available by other reputable sellers. I thought it might be fun to start a thread posting fossils or any other ancient 'collectibles' that the CT gang has managed to acquire. I've added quite a few 'teeth' and even bone fragments and samples of raptor eggshells. Probably the most interesting (and disgusting LOL) is a variety of coprolite 'specimens'----thankfully, the odor has long since dissipated:vomit: ;)

So, among the following posts will be examples of fossilized teeth of a T-Rex, Triceratops, Spinosaurus, Megalodon (a HUGE shark that fed on the ancestors of whales) and a Mosasaurus!!! Not to mention a two pound mass of Dino Dung!!:stop: Most of these are 'starter' specimens---the teeth ranging in length from fragments of 1/2 to 2 inches----- but the Megalodon, Mosasaur and Spinosaurus teeth are 4-6 inches in length!!

While I intend to keep some of these (I have several more than posted), I'm planning to present a few to the grandkids when they arrive here again this Summer.:D

Please have fun and feel free to post any fossil, artifact or gemstone etc that you would like to share:)

Spinosaurus------Larger than a T-Rex....
    Spinosaurus photo.jpg megalodon-jaws.jpg mosasaurus-size photo.jpg
    megalodon 2.jpg masasaur.jpg spinosaurus.jpg t rex 3.jpg

This is a T-Rex tooth....the one above is a Spinosaurus---even larger than a T-Rex in body size

And here' a Great White tooth for comparison with the Megalodon tooth:
    great white 'huge' tooth.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    old49er, Deacon Ray, Okidoki and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i can't see most of your pictures MZ, is it just me or is something up?

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Heh, I got a fly from that said dealer.

Also ordered a wasp but he mixed up his inventory # and I got stuck with a fungas gnat.

Here is my fly:
    [​IMG]

Crappy gnat I didn't order.
    [​IMG]

JBGood, old49er, Okidoki and 16 others like this.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Me neither.

I love fossils and minerals as well.

6. Mikey Zee

I tried to fix it... For some reason some of the photos wouldn't post due to an error message.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  7. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

i always wanted to collect amber with bugs inside

Curtisimo likes this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Well, here's a few of the missing photos:

A mass of Dino Dung, another fossil kit showing the raptor egg-shells and a sole triceratop tooth coprolite.jpg fossil dino egg shells.jpg triceratops packet.jpg

JBGood, Parthicus, Okidoki and 12 others like this.
  9. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I have a very small collection of perhaps a dozen fossils (along with a few meteorites), I found that a few of each satisfied my need for REALLY old. With ancient coins on the other hand I want them all!

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, @Mikey Zee , GREAT fossils, and a super digression from Ancient coins! Ok, you are pardoned for your absence! :)

Mikey Zee and Curtisimo like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i can see everything now....that's a nice pile of poop!

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I really like your fossils.

All I have is a couple of brachiopods, a few crinoid stems and a trilobite. All of them were dug and collected by myself in a nearby quarry.

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Please don't use these to clone dinosaurs and creat a dangerous theme park with laughably lax safety and security measures.

Because I think that's already been done ;)

14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I used to have fossils, but I donated all my specimens to my old state university because I thought the samples they used in their earth science class were too bland and could use spicing up. I was certainly not impressed as a student by their mediocre collection. Not that mine was that much better, but I had a few things they didn't have.Not a bad gift from an alumni.

However, recently I have been getting the itch to start another fossil collection. Can you guys PM me some good and reliable sources? Its been a good while since I last bought one and I could use some new dealers' names.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I was very into fossils in my teens and early 20s (collected at various sites in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania/ Maryland area) and have never entirely lost that interest, even though all of my fossils since then have been purchases. Here's some shark teeth that I found in New Jersey, from Cretaceous-era deposits (same age as Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, and mosasaurs):
    Cretaceous shark teeth.jpg
    A broken but still impressive Tyrannosaurus tooth (that I bought):
    Tyrannosaurus rex.jpg

And on the other end of the size scale, some teeth from the mammals that were scurrying out of the way of the dinosaurs (the smallest tooth is 4 mm):
    mammal.jpg

And of course everyone loves a good trilobite:
    trilobite.jpg

JBGood, old49er, Okidoki and 15 others like this.
  16. Sallent

Nice, now all you need are some horn corals, trilobites, and brachiopods to start building that ancient seabed fauna from 250+ million years ago.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here are some of my Mazon Creek Coal Pit 11 finds from back in the 1960s. These babies are over 200 million years older than the dinosaurs. Always loved fossils. :)

mazon.jpg

18. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Fabulous. Coins and fossils are like peas and carrots.

I heard the only really great Sponosaurus skeleton was destroyed in the Berlin Museum during WWII. Not 100% that's true.

SapphireSilver and Mikey Zee like this.
  19. Sallent

Thanks to a tip from one of you guys about a dealer, I got back into the fossil game with a modest trilobite fossil. Now all I need to get next are a horn coral fossil, a brachiopod, and a carboniferous crinoid fossil, and maybe a Blastoid fossil, and I'll be well on my way to creating my own pre-triasic seabed fauna collection. I don't know why, but I've always been drawn to seabed fossils pre-250 million years ago, rather than dinosaur fossils, which is what most people like.

Anyway, only 1.2 inches long, but original media and no restoration (which is what matters to me). I hate fossils with restoration. I prefer the original imperfections in the freshly dug up fossils over stuff that has been "touched up" by a "restorer" to make it "look better."

36842-30.jpg 36842-27.jpg 36842-29.jpg 36842-26.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    JBGood, old49er, stevex6 and 14 others like this.
  20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome stuff!

Heres a few of mine 121 028.JPG 021~0.JPG IMG_1678.JPG 13615013_1203556869678361_7887007215588851315_n.jpg 13606595_1203556873011694_6754980873492181531_n.jpg 11720744_992209734146410_946409748_n.jpg

JBGood, old49er, Okidoki and 15 others like this.
  21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted