Forum-worthy photo my coins...How-To?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KeyHunter, Nov 29, 2021.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Proofs and reverse proofs can be somewhat challenging.
    1974 BVI Dollar.jpg 2019 Korean Tiger 1oz Ag.jpg 2019S ERPASE.jpg

Marsden and Razz like this.
  4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

If you ever decide to get into it more it's another enjoyable side hobby.
    I was strictly showing the color tone difference. The focus was not the greatest on that one because I captured both of them at the same time. They weren't individual photos like the first pics. It's set up for one at a time. And I use a laptop with it now with live view mode to help with focusing.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I re-shot my 400th anniversary Mayflower medals/commemoratives this weekend with latest setup. Sometimes the light plays tricks on your eyes with Rev proofs. I like trying to capture some of the surface lit up on proofs so it's viewable when I can. So it isn't all just a black cameo appearance:

Mayflower gold pair.jpg
    RM Mayflower pair.jpg
    Mayflower PF pair1.jpg
    Mayflower RP pair.jpg

Marsden likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Get a decent copy stand or tri-pod, and some Jansjo (Ikea) lights. Set your white balance to 'tungsten', employ a black felt background (any craft store has it), and place the lights at 10'oclock &2 o'clock. Fire away. You may have to change the position of the lights to get the best shot (sans glare). Don't mater what shooting camera you use, it's all in the lighting and white balance. Oh, don't forget to 'focus'......:)

1837feucht.jpg

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Don't use auto white balance with coins that aren't white. On whatever device you have, calibrate the white balance to something neutral (gray card, WhiBal card, piece of white paper) before adding the subject.

8. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Thanks to the OP for this thread. I have a long way to go but this is a good start.

Meaning more distance is better? Or less distance?

20211130_220514.jpg

I have a digicam but I'd really like to use my tablet camera for the sake of convenience. So far I haven't found any way to ramp up the resolution. Maybe a new app?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Well, @Marsden ,I set mine like this (Approx. 3 inches) and it does just fine. cointakingdiagram.jpg

Marsden likes this.
  10. green18

All is well, but you need to improve the 'focus'. Higher f-stop might help......

Marsden likes this.
  11. green18

Post processing software.......

12. Marsden

Yeah, I don't even see that setting on my tablet (Galaxy Tab A7). So I'm off to find better software and will report back :hungry:

13. Marsden

New app didn't help. Apparently the Galaxy Tab has a crappy camera and there's no fixing it. This (below) was taken by my cheap LG phone and shows vastly greater detail (same coin). However the coin actually looks better in hand than in this photo. Hmm.

20211201_003057.jpg

Every coin for sale online should probably include multiple pics, with different angles, lighting, etc. But you guys know this already, don't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted