Forum tell me more - AFRICAN History IN ENGLAND

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SwK, Jan 28, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

AFRICAN History IN ENGLAND goes as far back as the Roman emperor Septimius Severus, who WAS buried in York (211AD)
    Septimus Severus.jpg
    Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, was the first African emperor of the Romans. (Born. April 11, 145/146, Leptis Magna, Tripolitania [now in Libya] - died Feb. 4, 211, York, England after reigning for 18 years as Emperor of Rome.

He was seen as a very important figure in the historical timeline of Roman emperors. This sestertius coin is a magnificent cameo portrait striking of a third century A.D. Bronze Sestertius, I find extremely difficult to find in great condition showing all his features so clearly. This is a 100% natural coin still showing the earth.

Severus shows the features and had the looks of a North African.

Septimius Severus was the first Roman Emperor born in Africa. He ruled between AD 193 and 211. His family was of Phoenician rather than black African descent, ancient literary sources refer to the dark colour of his skin and relate that he kept his African accent into old age. He was an accomplished general who, having defeated his internal enemies in a series of civil wars, went on to victories at the furthest frontiers of the Empire, from Mesopotamia to Britain.

Septimius Severus is shown with his characteristic beard and tight curled hair. The reverse AFRICA wearing the elephant trunk

The reputation of Septimius Severus, some consider him responsible for the descent of Rome. Did Severus lead Rome to turmoil and ultimate decay in Rome? The "De Imperator bus Romanis" by giving greater pay and benefits to soldiers that brought increasing financial and military burdens to Rome's government. His reign was bloody according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, he may have been involved in the murder of his predecessor, Pertinax. It was written he persecuted the Christians and forbade conversion to Judaism and to Christianity. Septimius Severus did restore stability to the Roman Empire. He improved performance and increased morale by making (expensive) changes in the military and Praetorian Guard. He restored Hadrian's Wall and was involved in other construction projects. He also played the part of the traditional emperor. He reformed the grain supply for the city of Rome.... He put on games for the people to keep them diverted and on his side. He freed his friends from debt and gave donatives to the soldiers and people. He also heard lawsuits.... Severus also began appointing his own men to the senate, one the emperor's traditional prerogatives.

Severus' two sons Caracalla and Geta were instructed by their father on his death-bed to 'pay the troops, get on with each other and ignore everyone else'. Within a year, however, Caracalla had murdered his brother and reigned alone, with all vestiges of Geta's image and name removed from buildings, a process known as 'Damnatio Memoriae'.

Johndakerftw, FitzNigel, NOS and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice. I do not have a sestertius of his, but how about a couple of denarii
    Septimius Severus 8.jpg Septimius Severus 7.jpg Septimius Severus 4.jpg

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'll toss in a couple...

The coin below is one of two coins I purchased that turned ancient coins into a serious passion.
    [​IMG]
    Septimius Severus , AD 193-211
    AR Denarius, 3.3g, 20mm; 1h; Rome, AD 209
    Obv.: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev.: PM TRP XVII COS III P P; Neptune standing left, holding a trident, foot on globe

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, Nikopolis ad Istrum, AD 139-211
    AE, 3.11g, 16.5mm; 2h
    Obv.: AV KAI [CE] CEVHPOC, laureate head right
    Rev.: NIKOΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟCICT; crescent and one star
    Ref.: AMNG 1436v; Nikopolis BMC 17
    Unsure why Wildwinds does not include the final C on the obv even though all the pictures they have include it. My coin includes it so the C is mentioned in the obv legend. Also, the [CE] is off flan.

Please excuse the poor photo. I just took it and here at the academy and I have no lights or tripod to stabilize my camera. It was very challenging to get this.
    [​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    AE, 2.9g, 16.5mm; 8h; Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Obv.: [AV KAI CE] - CEVHPOC; laureate head right
    Rev.: [NIK]OΠOΛI - T. ΠPOC [IC]; Hermes nude, chlamys over left arm, holding kerykeion in left arm and purse in extended right hand

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Don't believe anything written in the opening post until you have researched the matter and decide for yourself the facts of the case. A place to start is
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Athena
    which mentions the 1990's revisionists or attempts to correct centuries of error depending on which side you believe. I had my fill of that argument decades ago when it was fresh. Believe what you wish.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's my favorite SS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stevex6, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  7. SwK

SwK Junior Member

Dougsmit you are great - tell me more, what is your bottom line. I come from the YORK area and like your take even if painfull

r
    Jeff

Draft saved Draft deleted