Formative Years Lincoln cents

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cash4coin, May 10, 2018.

1. cash4coin

cash4coin ran 20 redlights

I inherited about a hundred pounds or more of the various formative years, birthplace, shield, early years etc. Lincoln cents all in mint wrappers and some with 47 cent postage, uncancelled, stamps attached to the paper rolls. He purchased a lot of the 50 roll crates from the US mint. Should I try to sell these over face value, or unload them at a bank. I don't have spare time or the desire to push these on ebay. Are any of the dates, mints etc worth keeping or have any value over face? I don't do cents and I know nothing of their collectability.

JoeFromMass likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Take some photo .
    Let see what you have ..

JoeFromMass likes this.
  4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Yes let's see them.

JoeFromMass likes this.
  5. JoeFromMass

JoeFromMass Active Member

Id be on my hands and knes going through all those.

You just never know....

Show us :-]

6. cash4coin

I've already taken two cardboard boxes full to the bank.I am still unpacking boxes. so many,

32332358_10213797869955691_4362863577829212160_n.jpg 32207841_10213797870675709_586703493390139392_n.jpg

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Oh dear heavens...... The Lincoln cent guys are drooling in their keyboards right about now.

8. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Wasn’t this the version that had lots of DDR? Might wanna take a look through for those.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No disrespect, but this seems rather odd coming from a guy calling himself "cash4coin". One would think you'd know what to do if profit is the end goal.

My guess is that things have cooled down substantially from the height of popularity for such coins, but I'm also quite sure that you could sell the OBWs at some sort of premium instead of taking them to the back. Certain boxes (rolls) can be quite fruitful and profitable if you happen to have them, but others mostly duds. A little research may be in order.

cash4coin likes this.
  10. cash4coin

Cash4coin is in love with Morgans, Mercs, Halves, stacking and anything golden. Dear old dad was a hoarder for cents of all sorts, mercs, buffalos, and seated libertys. I never did get the fever for cents.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Hey, I understand even though I never caught the fever for any of it on a personal level.

Still, if maximizing potential is your goal, I suggest doing a little more homework before returning to the bank. Who knows... doing so could possibly help you to acquire the types you are in love with. It's worth a shot....

cash4coin likes this.
  12. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

It's not that much money. Put them aside.

There are well over 100 double die types.

If you ever get bored they will be fun to go through.

Those original boxes (with the wddr-006) use to sell for over $100.

The stamped rolls were taken to the city where each of the four new coins were to be released in a big ceremony attended by the US Mint Director. The local post office would use a special stamp to cancel the stamp on the roll, indicating it was a first day of issue roll, and thus bringing a premium.

cash4coin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted