Forgotten in a box for six years

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Supporter! Supporter

From the dawn of my collecting, before my preferences were crystallizing... just found this coin, that I bought from a Viennese Ebay shop exactly six years ago. It looks nice enough to me, with its graceful cow and foal.

1603 co.jpg

Illyria, Apollonia, AR Drachm, c. 200-80 BC. Magistrates Asklapiadas and Philistonos. Obv. Cow standing left suckling calf. AΣKΛAΠIAΔAΣ/ A over delta monogram below. Rev. / AΠOΛ ΦIΛIΣTIΩNOΣ around double stellate pattern. 18.5 mm, 3.08 gr.

I wonder if it is possible to apply a more precise date to this coin.

Theodosius, randygeki, Ryro and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coin - I really like these.

There is a wonderful site that provides a full range of information, including dating. I think there is still a lot of competing opinions about these, but when I attribute mine, I generally use this site.

http://asklapiadas.ancients.info/05cDrCl.html

While I was typing this, SeptimusT posted - I had not seen that article - thanks Sept.T. Not sure what level of agreement there is between my link and his, but that's what makes it fun.

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 one coin at a time Supporter

@Pellinore, I have one that has also been long ignored - a $23 purchase years ago. Thanks, @SeptimusT & @Marsyas Mike for the useful links.
    Illyria Apollonia Drachm.jpg
    Illyria, Apollonia, AR Drachm
    Obv:
    Cow l., with head turned back towards suckling calf; above, moneyer’s name NIKANΔPOΣ (Nikandros); border of dots
    Rev: Curved, double-stellate pattern, vertical single device line, drumstick rays, triple dots, line border; AΠΟΛ (Apollonia) with magistrate’s name AN ΔPIΣ KOY (Andriskou)
    Type: Class A6Lc2a 59-54 BC Drumstick-shape ray

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I have several of these - I think they were faked a lot in antiquity - there are certainly a lot of them of low weight and iffy-looking metal. Production quality control wasn't always top-notch either.

The idea that they were cranking these out for the Pompey-Caesar Civil Wars is a compelling one - the later ones were roughly denarius size.

Here is my favorite - it is awful, but I am very fond of it:

Illyria offcenter drachm (2).JPG

Illyria - Apollonia Drachm - Class A7ALc2b
    (52 B.C.)
    (Niken and Autoboulos)

NIKHN above cow standing left suckling calf / APOL AU[TO BOU LOU]
    around double stellate pattern.
    Ceka 88
    (3.08 grams / 20 mm)

Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

In addition to the Masters thesis and the Asklapiadas sites posted above, this PDF is very helpful and informative. I consider it the best analysis of the relationship between those persons named in the nominative case on the obverse and in the genitive case on the reverse.

I have only one example of these:

Dyrrhachium Zopyros Drachm.jpg
    Illyria, Dyrrhachium.
    AR drachm, 2.95 g, 17.4 mm, 11 h.
    Moneyer Philotas, Mintmaster Zopyros, ca. 80-70 BC.
    Obv: Cow suckling calf, owl in right field before cow; ΦΙΛΩΤΑΣ above, head of Helios facing right, top.
    Rev: Square with double stellate pattern, ΔΥΡ/ΖΩ/ΠΥ/ΡΟΥ around.
    Refs: Ceka 451; Maier 221; SNG Cop 469; SNG Evelpides 1744; SNG Leipzig 715. Cf. BMC 7.70, 70-73.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Marsyas Mike, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted