Foreign Vending Machine Query...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

The times they are a changing

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

That's the magnetic nickel, right? I have found them in circulation in the US.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There are more of them circulating in the USA than in Canada these days because the RCM is actively removing them from circulation. The only people in the USA pulling them from circulation are fools like me.

Kentucky and bugo like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Include me in the fools list. Canadian cents and all the 1983D Lincolns, especially since that last copper one found.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I only keep the pre-1979 Canadians. I really really like GV and GVI and YH cents.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

As a young boy with a paper route I made one cent per newspaper. The daily paper cost a nickel and Sunday was 25 cents, of which a nickel was mine. At the time a cent was worth something. All of the neighborhood stores had penny candy and candy bars sold for a nickel. Now it is tough to find one for less than a buck. Sad.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I save every foreign coin I find.

onecenter likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can relate to that. I sold the "Grit" newspaper, a weekly out of Pa. I had 35 customers and kept 3 cents per paper back in the 60's. It would buy me five 12 cent comic books and rest was for penny candy. I thought I was king of the hill!

Gilbert likes this.
  10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Still getting a penny per paper?

11. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

It's been quite a few decades since I was a young boy, and I have no idea what paper boys earn today, but certainly more than a cent.

12. onecenter

onecenter Member

Same here.

bugo likes this.
  13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

But if I pay with cash, the costs for everybody else using plastic still get passed on to me.

14. -jeffB

I think we've missed the window for that.

Image processing, sensors and machine learning have progressed a lot faster than the technologies for electronic implants. Why require people to get a chip, when your systems can just recognize them -- from their face, from their fingerprints, from their walk, from the patterns of warmth under their skin, from the sound of their voice, from the smell of their breath, or the taste of the DNA in their stray skin flakes.

15. rickmp

No one said life was fair.
    It's like insurance, where the risk is spread over all policy holders.

16. -jeffB

You're missing my point.

If I pay with a credit card, the store gets socked with a transaction fee plus a percentage off the top; for a very small purchase, they may actually lose money. But the credit-card cartel prevents them from passing that cost directly through to the customer, or even setting a lower limit on the size of credit-card transactions. (Yes, some merchants do it, but they're non-compliant and could be busted for it.)

So: do I pay cash, selflessly helping to keep costs down for my fellow man (maybe -- still not sure about the marginal cost of handling cash)? Or do I use my charge card, which gives me 1% back plus a bunch of price and warranty protections (at a 2% or so cost to the merchant)?

17. rickmp

The merchant cannot add the cost as a separate surcharge, so they just raise the price to cover the card company's charge.

usmc60 and tommyc03 like this.
  18. -jeffB

But not on a per-transaction basis. For any given transaction, I pay the same price whether I use the card or cash.

19. rickmp

Yes, you do. Like I said, life is not fair.
    Most people pay with cards. Cash payers are a minority. Majority rules. Live with it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. -jeffB

I don't know what point you think I'm trying to argue, but it doesn't seem to me that we disagree.

21. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The store's prices are set to cover all costs and fees for each product, including your "very small purchase." They don't lose if a card is used, and they actually make money on your cash purchase.

usmc60 and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted