Foreign Coins Manufactured at US Mints

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, May 4, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

4. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

I really like the Congo issue, both because it's attractive and because of the unusual history. (Belgium's surrender to Germany technically included transferring control of the Congo, but the governor sided with the government-in-exile and supported the Allies.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

That coin is also interesting because the mint involved (Philadelphia, I think) did not spell the name "Belgisch Congo" properly. ;)

Christian

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you are interested, this file shows all the coins made by the US Mint for other countries by date, mint, and denomination including mintages, compositions, sizes etc.

Attached Files:

onecenter and Paul M. like this.
  7. onecenter

onecenter Member

Very interesting and helpful information. I forgot about the most recent foreign coin issued by the US Mint was for Iceland in 2000. Its a great proof set with the silver dollar. We should have more joint coin issues!

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

According to the article in the first post, the US Mint stopped producing coins for other countries in 1984 - the 2000 Leif Ericson collector coin was the only exception in the past 30 years. And yes, such joint issues, no matter where the pieces are minted, are a nice concept. I have a few of those "mini-collections". :)

Christian

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Interesting thing about the Lief Ericson coin. Iceland was going to strike it themselves but the US Mint insisted that if the ASE was going to be in the set that they had to strike the 1000 Kr piece as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted