For which 70s Pennies should I Be Looking?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robin Gray, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Wow, you really are lucky. As for lack of time, I get it. I'm 61 and retired, that's why I started this new hobby. So I really need help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

And proofs, do find them from time to time. Sad that people will break open a proof set to blow at a convenience store.

4. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

You are in a perfect place to collect coins. You're right, people go into their money for unnecessary things. What proofs have you found, surely they ate worth more than face value?

5. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

6. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

So, I have spent the day researching. The following 70s pennies have people searching for them. Does anything stand out?

1970 S small date
    1977 D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1977-D is nothing.
    The 1970-S small date is rare. I can tell you right now all of the 1970-S that you get are going to be large dates.

Robin Gray likes this.
  8. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Sadly, you are correct. I thought I had it for a day until I joined Coin Talk. Someone helped me see what I had missed before. Was that you ? Well, now I know! Thanks.

9. Michael K

Robin Gray likes this.
  10. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Will do, thanks!

11. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Just took a look at the website. Exactly what I need to learn "the basics" of coin identification and worth. Thanks a million. Hope those who are new collectors will see this thread.

12. NickJersey

These are some of the pennies I collected over the last couple of days

Wheat Pennies:

IMG_20181101_191212.jpg

Memorial pennies

IMG_20181101_191154.jpg

a couple of 1956 wheat pennies

IMG_20181101_192345222.jpg

And this 1960 that has such a mirror finish it looks like a proof

IMG_20181101_191127.jpg

Robin Gray likes this.
  13. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Beautiful! What are memorial pennies? Also, looking at your last pic, it's funny because I was going thru my pennies just now. I found a 1966 copper penny, with the same date looking fatter with closed in 6s, just like yours. Does that mean something? I've been staring at it under the magnifying glass for awhile. Comparing it to another penny just like it, it definitely looks different. My daughter is coming over tomorrow to show me how to use my zoom on my phone camera. Then I'll post a pic. In looking at my penny from 1960, yours has that fatter closed in look, too. Definitely different.

14. NickJersey

It has the Lincoln Memorial on the back, 1959 and newer

15. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

Careful with the 70s smalls. I just had a guy show up to sell me some. All had strong liberties not weak like they should. I really think he was just trying to get $30 for a coin worth 2 cents.

Robin Gray likes this.
  16. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Thanks for the warning!

17. Michael K

Surface on the 1960 seems unnatural.

18. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

And the LIBERTY looks fatter or even raised. Maybe you should open a new thread with just that coin and someone would weigh in. Then that would answer my question, too.

19. NickJersey

Here is 2 more pics, still doesn't show that proof like luster. Need to work on my coin picture skills.

PB040539-crop.jpg

PB040542-crop.jpg

20. Robin Gray

Robin Gray Active Member

Well, I keep the shiny ones from that time period just because they look good for their ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted