For what it's worth!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by OnEWB, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Dude I've been over it :stop::vomit::hilarious::hilarious::brb: iPad now sukkas << just saved that spelling.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

You should change your name to " 2 cents "

Heater and Insider like this.
  4. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Here's some advice I got on here years ago when I tried to beat a dead horse. GOOGLE is your friend. Just try asking GOOGLE first and if you don't get an answer then ask here and you'll get an answer even if it isn't what you want to hear.

5. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

To be clear I did a Google search first. It tells you in detail what to look for. It shows images. But I am inexperienced and they looked old to me. I was informed a little while ago they are not older versions.

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

OP, I gotta say, I have a couple thoughts.

First off, it's generally bad form to post private messages to a public space. The moderators response at worst was trite, but it don't confuse that for rude, they are busy people, this is a online forum.

Second, you are in a general way correct about this not being an easy place for beginners to come. You have to understand that there is a culture, language, and generally understood ideas in any culture, and coin collecting has a culture. Just like going to any new culture for the first time, it can be uncomfortable and difficult to understand. It's important any time you get involved with a new culture to have an open mind, try to drop your 'normal' way of thinking, and give people the benefit of the doubt. I could tell a couple funny stories about my first trip to Africa...

Third, I read the thread about Hobos nickels and I can't honestly tell which post made you frustrated. You liked insiders post, and the next post asked the exact same question that I bet 90% of the people who read your original question asked, 'What does original mean in regards to Hobo nickels, there is nothing original about a carved coin?'. You have to understand, 'original' has a meaning to coin collectors and is genuinely confusing when talking about something like a Hobo nickel. This is the part about you being new to our culture, and while I understand how that is off putting to beginners, there is literally no way to have a culture and have it not be a little confusing to outsiders.

Lastly, I genuinely hope you stay. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here who are more than willing to help and answer questions, even beginner ones. But keep in mind, this is an anonymous internet forum and not everyone is kind.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Brilliant response! Perhaps you should get in line with the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd [edited - language].

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've had my share of posts that I considered rude or unnecessary. I think it is often the guys who have been around a while trying to make light of a situation. The problem is, often the joke feels it is at your expense. I am a complete novice at coin collecting but I have learned so much just by reading posts from these guys and gals. If I can make any recommendation it would be to shrug of the completely unnecessary remarks and see if you learn a thing or two. I get much more out of this forum than it does from me.

Coinlover67 and MKent like this.
  9. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

I agree with everything you just said but one thing. About mods being busy. I completely understand they are busy. I work 65 hours a week and I have a 4 month old. I am very busy too. But as an admin on another group, regardless of what I have going on I try to manage the situation in a polite manner. But that's just me. With that being said I really appreciate you taking the time out to explain your side. And you are right, some of the inside jokes mean nothing about the original post could cause someone to think they are being mocked.

10. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Give me one second....:bookworm::bookworm:... I'll get in line

Insider likes this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Let's derail this train to "silly town. PLEASE, post at least one story or start a new thread!

12. smarch

smarch Active Member

Thanks for the entertaining comments, I'll miss the witty remarks. Smarch

13. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Several.....................

Edited: You should know about threadjacking, repost on paartisanlines.com , our sister site for politics, world events and religion topics. Also if a spelling combination sounds like an obscene word, it will be treated as one. Mods are always around, but complaints are triaged. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  14. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

I came here to cointalk as a complete novice and i could never repay the knowledge and insight into coin collecting I have received here. This Guy thinks were mean and rude he should hang around the PCGS forum for awhile. LOL

Kentucky and Insider like this.
  15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm new to the hobby, and this site. I've gotten solid advice and questions answered. Zero complaints here.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  16. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

:droid::facepalm::facepalm::eggface::eggface::droid::doctor::banhappy::banghead::beaver::blackalien::blackeye::bookworm::bookworm::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bigtears::blackalien:Coins

17. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Bump

[Offensive posts removed.]

18. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Obviously I'm watching

19. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Just like you

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@OnEWB

Are you posting to yourself and commenting? This thread is getting wacky. I thought you posted that you were an administrator or Mod somewhere else. Why not act the part?

21. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Because I'm being attacked. Why not have fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.