For Sale: Rare Charlotte Gold Half Eagle - 1860-C NGC AU-55

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by charlottedude, May 17, 2015.

1. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

FSH is a rare, low montage 1860-C $5 in NGC AU-55. This coin has been locked up in an SDP for over 12 years, having purchased it from a Colorado dealer in 2003. A recent Heritage NGC AU-58 example sold for a total of $7,050, although it appears to have two noticeable scratches on the reverse. The coin I offer here has attractive green-gold color, is a solid AU-55 coin (keeping in mind that all 1859-C and 1860-C HEs have rather peculiar, very weak-looking reverse strikes due to improperly annealed dies), and more importantly, does not have the distractions like the one that recently crossed the Heritage auction block. The '60-C is a rather special coin, being the 2nd to last emission from the Charlotte mint before ceasing operations in 1861. With a mintage of only 14K, it's much tougher to locate than many of the other dates in the series. It's only somewhat more available than the '61-C, and is popular with Southern mint Civil War gold buffs who can't afford the prohibitively expensive '61-C date.

I'm asking $4750.00, which is a very fair price, considering recent sales for properly graded, unscrubbed examples, and will entertain offers from serious buyers - shipped registered/insured USPS.

[​IMG]

Pls PM Or email me at sdstanl@excite.com if interested or wish to make an offer - willing to trade for PCGS/NGC graded common date $20 Libs/Saints, $10 Libs/Indians, or 1 OZ AGE/Buffalos.

Thanks for looking -

C'dude