For Capped Bust Lovers: Guess the NGC results

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jaelus, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I got a submission of 7 small capped bust quarters back from NGC last week, and I just took some pics with my new coin photography setup.

Let's see if you can guess the grades.

Coin 1: 1832 B-2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 2: 1833 B-1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 3
    : 1834 B-1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 4
    : 1834 B-3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 5: 1834 B-4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 6: 1835 B-2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin 7: 1838 B-1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whipps and rev1774 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

XF and AU with some nice die clashes.

Jaelus likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not my strong suit, but here goes . . .

1. 45
    2. 55
    3. 55
    4. 58
    5. 58
    6. 45
    7. Cleaned

Jaelus likes this.
  5. Jaelus

I try to get the latest die state of each variety that I can find, unless the last die state just had weaker details from a lapping.

Really good guesses. I'll post up the actual grades tomorrow if anyone else wants to have a go before then.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

MY guess are below. Only coin 5 did I not like based off the pictures - if I had to pick just one to be cleaned it would be it. I think NGC full graded all of them, but I think I would have details on coin 5 and 7. No matter what it is a nice batch of bust coins.

Coin 1
    : 1832 B-2 XF-45
    Coin 2: 1833 B-1 AU-55
    Coin 3: 1834 B-1 AU-50
    Coin 4: 1834 B-3 AU-55
    Coin 5: 1834 B-4 AU -53
    Coin 6: 1835 B-2 XF-40 (waffled on this so banged up)
    Coin 7: 1838 B-1 XF-45

Jaelus likes this.
  7. Jaelus

Ok here are what my guesses were when I submitted and what they came back as:

Coin 1: 1832 B-2
    Some of the normal markers like the hair and the left wing are never found with full detail on this variety. I consider this coin to be a PQ XF45 or a low end AU50. My guess was that it would probably go XF45 with a small chance to go AU50 (the stars on the obverse are typically more worn than this on an XF).

NGC: XF-45

Coin 2: 1833 B-1
    Weakness in the lower drapery as seen on this coin is common for this variety in die state b. I consider this coin to be an AU58. My guess was that it would come back AU55 with a good chance to go AU58 (the obverse is a borderline 55/58 but the reverse is a solid 58). The toning is very attractive but there is also a sizable bag mark (for a quarter) in the right field on the obverse and a planchet flaw on the reverse below the eagle's head.

NGC: AU55

Coin 3: 1834 B-1
    I consider this coin to be a PQ AU50 borderline AU53. My guess was that it would come back AU50. The toning is very attractive, especially on the obverse; more so than I've been able to capture in my photographs. The coin has nice clash marks on both faces and no major distractions.

NGC: AU53

Coin 4: 1834 B-3
    This is a tough one. In terms of wear I think the coin is an AU55. The skin is fully original with great luster evident under the toning, but there are a couple distractions. On the obverse, look on the cap over the E. There is a mark there, likely a minor strikethrough of some small piece of debris. On the reverse in the left field under the wing there are some light scratches. Overall a very attractive coin and I think NGC did the right thing by net grading here, but I would have said AU53.

NGC: AU50

Coin 5: 1834 B-4
    In terms of wear this is a solid AU58. The luster is impaired around the devices from old toning that was dipped off, but the rest of the coin has nice luster and it looks MA in hand. I thought this would come back AU58 or be net graded to AU55 and was surprised that they gave it details.

NGC: AU Details

Coin 6: 1835 B-2
    Rather straightforward on this one. XF45 in terms of wear, with some distractions and a pleasing reverse. I figured it would go XF40/45.

NGC: XF40

Coin 7: 1838 B-1
    Another straightforward coin. XF45 in terms of wear. An attractive coin with an old cleaning that has retoned. I thought this one might have a chance to come back as an XF40.

NGC: XF Details

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Dang - if I just went with my gut on those two I would have been really close. Still nice batch of coins.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1. 40
    2. 53
    3. 50
    4. 45
    5. 58
    6. 40
    7. au details

Jaelus likes this.
  10. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

1. 53
    2. 55
    3. 50
    4. 53
    5. 55
    6. 45
    7. 45

Jaelus likes this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I guess I'm a little late on this - but I'll say I was about 5 points lower than NGC on almost all of them.

Jaelus likes this.
  13. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Very helpful breakdown! Never collected the series, but it's interesting to see your thought process behind the grading estimates.

Jaelus likes this.
  14. Jaelus

Thanks. I think I was fairly close to NGC on this one. I think they are slightly conservative and very consistent with their grading for this series. PCGS is quite literally all over the place with the small capped bust quarters though. They do get it right sometimes, but way too many are graded 2-4 steps off in either direction, especially on the varieties that have strike peculiarities.

Draft saved Draft deleted