For ALL OF YOU ALL THAT DONT BELIEVE IN ME!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin_man_95, Jan 24, 2010.

1. coin_man_95

coin_man_95 Senior Member

well for one, when i googled 1889 Morgan Dollar thats what kept showing up... and im still learning.. where would you find the mint on it if there was one? once again im sorry.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_man_95

and i didnt know that it was such a big deal. I was just showing an example of my coin.

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

The mintmark would be right under the bow/ribbon in the wreath, right above where it says "Dollar"
    Just look at your picture that you posted in your original thread! It has the CC mintmark and is rather clear to see

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

All coins are different. They differ in value by condition.
    Coins can differ by the amount of marks, where the marks are, the level of circulation, if it has been cleaned, the luster, etc...
    You have much to learn, but stick around here, and I bet you could learn a thing or two ;)

6. NotSure

NotSure I'm sure I'm NotSure

Buy a Red Book, start reading, and go from there. You would have been able to answer a few of the questions you already asked. Just a little more homework for you!!

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Well - it is not a problem for me. The cc(or mint mark) is on the reverse between the wreath and one dollar. Usually around the DO in dollar. I would recommend getting a red book and then maybe a book on morgans if you want to collect them. And if you stick with this site you will learn a lot. You just have to have a willingness to listen and learn from some of the experts on this site. And yes better pictures will help us determine grades better and yes at times they are tough on the pictures of the coins. So if you have a nice dealer locally that you could work with you can learn a lot.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Coinman95 I wasnt one that was giving you a hard time but I dont see the CC on the coin you posted the pictures on. Are you sure it's a CC?

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Ah sorry my post was late :(
    It's still a Morgan. Yes keep it!
    Great start to a new collection for you.

10. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

If I offended you I'm sorry. I've been experiencing a lot of troll activity on the sites I visit. Don't ask T$ how old he is. Knowledge wise he's an old man.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I agree with Raider.

That is a Philly.

No mintmark = Philadelphia.

The CC would have a CC beneath the wreath.

Buy a Red Book.

12. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

Hey Buddy, Your the Kid they tore up yesterday.. For Posting pictures of YOUR coin..
    The Pictures your Took.. Reverse in a Slab ( Pic From Ebay ) and Obverse a Picture from Google.. Right??
    Sorry, We are glad to have you.. but the Coin you have is NOT a CC.. It has NO cc on Reverse .. Bottom.. What you seem to have is a "P" mint.. you will see NO mint mark on your coin.. That is a Philadelphia.
    Be careful.. Be Precise.. Post YOUR items,, Welcome

Sorry I just saw Page Two.. POSTED LATE

13. Exchequer

Exchequer Buffalo Hunter

Coin man, just a bit of advise...when you make a new thread, people may criticize it. Don't take it personnally. Most everyone in this hobby is willing to teach/mentor the younger generation. I taught kids your age for many years (not related to numismatics) and really enjoyed the times.

But, it will be a very slow and hurtful learning process for you if your only way to learn is by posting in the manner you have before. You need to take some time away from the computer and read The Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Then, read lots of threads here that have interesting topics to you and digest it all. When you have a question about something that was posted in a thread, then ask the question within the thread.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.. I'm pretty new too, but I have read the Red Book ;)

Nobody's perfect, and we all have different levels of experience...but lying will turn everybody off. So, again, start off by doing lots of reading, not posting. I'm glad you are here! Have fun, be honest, and realize it takes a long time to get the experience.

Scott

On edit: In fact, I have a book about coin collecting on a budget that I think you would like. I'll mail it to you for free if you PM me.

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Very Nice!!

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is correct. Your coin is an 1889 Morgan Dollar minted in Philadelphia...and like all Philadelphia Morgan's there is no mint mark under the wreath on the reverse. The reason the CC kept coming up when you googled the 1889 Morgan is that is one of the key coins in the whole series and thus is very popular and valuable. 1889 Morgan's were minted in 4 different cities: Philadelphia (like yours with no mint mark), New Orleans (with an O mint mark), Carson City (CC) and San Francisco (S). The Morgan Dollar is among the most popular US coins and it was minted from 1878-1904 and then again in 1921. The 1889-CC is among the top 3 or 4 coins issued in the series...this is why it kept coming up in your 1889 search. You did nothing wrong, you just didn't know what it was and the information you were able to find was incomplete. The problem is, we have had people in the past come here and make claims about valuable coins and most of the time it turned out they were just trying to cause a problem.

Now, back to your coin. The 1889 Morgan Dollar is a common issue. They produced 21,726,000. It is 90% silver and 10% copper. Because of it's condition and the fact that it is a common date, it is worth it's melt value...which today is $13.13. That said, it was given to you by your grandfather and thus has more sentimental value than anything else. I think it is a nice coin and one worth hanging onto to pass onto your kids.

Finally, welcome to CT!

16. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

17. coin_man_95

Thank you all. Im looking forward to the future coin collecting. and I WILL ONLY POST MY COINS!!!!! from now on!

18. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

yeah nothing there but a blank space.

19. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm glad to hear that you plan to continue coin collecting. If you haven't already, I recommend purchasing a copy of the Red Book...it's the first thing you should have with your collection. The prices in it aren't very useful...but there is basic information about all types of US coins and it is an excellent book for this information.

21. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Welcome to CoinTalk. You'll learn a lot here.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted