Foolish question...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evorlor, May 15, 2010.

1. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

That's not any better. From what little I can see in your first picture, it looks like normal wear that filled in the D, which is common for heavily circulated coins, which it looks like this one is.

I have several with the same filled in D from circulation wear. Still a nice quarter for an album though.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

That is normal for Washington quarters from the seventies showing that degree of circulation. I just filled an album (60's-90's) from a 5 gallon bucket full of circulated Washington quarters and nearly all of the D mint marks looked filled like yours. Nothing to get excited about its worth 25 cents.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It does happen from time to time. The small raised point of the die that creates the hole in the mintmark of the coin breaks off and the center becomes filled. It doesn't really add much to value. Just makes it interesting.

Chris

5. Evorlor

Evorlor Member

good to know. appreciate it :)

just making sure i wasnt the newest millionaire. maybe tomorrow

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The dies often got filled with a little debris and this was especially a problem on small parts that were angular like the mint mark. It wasn't considered much of a problem in the late-'70's because there was almost no collecting of these coins and no one complained about the abysmal quality. Additionally they didn't use any mintmarks at all on circulating quarters until 1980 except for Denver so if there was a blob you knew it was a "D". This became much more noticeable in 1980 when they started using a "P" blob as well. So they started increasing the size of the mint marks until in 1984 they simply threw in the towel and made them huge. These were less prone to filling and easy enough to read even when they filled.

The clads have undergone a relatively steady improvement in quality since 1965 even as the relief (the depth of the design) has been steadily lowered.

For some dates this filling of the mint mark is actually typical. The worst is the 1980-P.

Draft saved Draft deleted