"Follow The Leader" coin thread BY THEME (for ALL types of coins, tokens, and medals)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 6, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hibiscus, it looks like.

Edit- no, not quite. Bet it's an orchid. Isn't there a Hong Kong orchid?

Update: yep! That's it!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1941 GB florin with a thistle flower on the reverse, and some other kind of flower as well. 1941 GB florin obv (2).JPG 1941 GB florin rev (2).JPG

PaddyB, Muzyck and chrsmat71 like this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I got a crowned Scottish thistle...

[​IMG]

Charles II (1649-1685), Copper Bawbee or Sixpence, 1677

Obv: CAR•II•D•G•SCO•AN•FR•ET•HIB• ; Rev: draped and laureate bust left, R: crowned thistle, NEMO•ME•IMPUNE•LACESSET•1677•

PaddyB and Muzyck like this.
  6. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Japan, one of the clay/porcelain types that were not officially released. This type has both a cherry blossom and a chrysanthemum. combo small.jpg

7. coin_nut

1975 Japan 100 yen - Flowers 1975 JP 100 y obv.JPG 1975 JP 100 y rev.JPG

8. lordmarcovan

Thistle for Scotland, Tudor rose for England, and shamrock for Ireland.

9. lordmarcovan

Neato! Despite being of Scots-Irish ancestry, I have yet to own a Scottish coin. I've come close a few times, but they've always just slipped out of my grasp.

I have my eye on this 1702 William III Scottish 5-shilling piece and might just bid on it. So it's not my coin (yet), but we'll see... ;)

[​IMG]

10. lordmarcovan

@Stork- those clay coins are cool! I like the early 20th century German porcelain coins, too. Nonmetallic coins can be interesting, and maybe I should add one to my Eclectic Box someday, if I can find a type that PCGS will certify.

@Aethelred told me he just acquired a Keeling Cocos Island plastic coin, and was excited to get it, since those had fascinated him since he was a kid and saw them listed in Krause. I think he said PCGS certified it, too, though how one grades a plastic coin I have no idea.

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Tibet. A flower in a vase.

Tibet 1 & Half Srang obverse.jpg
    Tibet 1 & Half Srang reverse.jpg

Stork, chrsmat71, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  12. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Rose of Sharon, national flower of Korea

South Korea 1 Won 1967 obverse A.jpg
    South Korea 1 Won 1967 reverse A.jpg

Stork, chrsmat71, coin_nut and 2 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

14. coin_nut

I think I see a chrysanthemum on this 1909 Japan 50 sen. I should see that Stork gets it... 1909 JP 50 s obv.JPG 1909 JP 50 s rev.JPG

15. lordmarcovan

16. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@lordmarcovan I do believe PCGS has taken to slabbing the clay coins. Here is one of the much less common patterns I randomly found, but the common fuji one is slabbed now too. This is a link to the PCGS census, but if you do a search on eBay for PCGS Japan Clay periodically one can be found.
    https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/1-sen-1869-1958/1945-h20-p1-sen-km-pn74/4834?sn=418415&h=pop

@coin_nut LordM is being optimistic. It does indeed have the chrysanthemum crest, but I do NOT have a 68 (in that year... ;) ).

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

We are still on flowers? Been there for a while so I will post some flowers and change the theme to shields

Greenland 1 Krone 1964 obv A.jpg
    Greenland 1 Krone 1964 rev A.jpg

Stork likes this.
  18. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I bought this because I was drawn to the dragon. A closer look and it looks more like a cross between a dragon and a chicken. A bunch of shields too.

Switzerland Basel 5 Francs 1879 OBV B.jpg
    Switzerland Basel 5 Francs 1879 REV G.jpg

Stork, coin_nut and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

I count 18 shields on this one!

I thought it might get snatched up in my recent selloff, when I put all my stuff up for sale, but it's still here with me, and I'm happy about that.

[​IMG]

Stork, coin_nut and BRandM like this.
  21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, chicken is right. After all, "a basilisk is a legendary reptile reputed to be a serpent king, which was hybrid from a rooster and a serpent, who can cause death with a single glance. (...) The basilisk is also the guardian creature and traditional symbol of the Swiss city Basel." (Source) :)

Christian

Muzyck and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted