"Follow The Leader" coin thread BY THEME (for ALL types of coins, tokens, and medals)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 6, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Domitian was also deposed the old Roman way, with a pointy implement or two.

TC12-Domitian-019600--frame.jpg

Continue with deposed monarchs, whether they were deposed violently or actually survived to live in exile.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

... and Charles I was deposed on the wrong end of an axe:
    Charles I 1.JPG Charles I 2.JPG

4. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Licinius was taken out by Constantine the Great. licinius 004-tile.jpg And Napoleon III lived in exile in Great Britain after losing the war with Germany. nap3-horz.jpg

5. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Did you say Deposed Monarchs???? Self declared King Zog. Deposed by the Italians in 1939 about a day after his heir was born. The Queen got to make a getaway in a car going over mountains...could not have been an easy journey.

[​IMG]

I bought this in a PCGS slab with entirely too much PVC on it (eyeroll). I know better than to send it back (even if it was visible on the trueview) so I cracked it, acetoned it, and sent it to NGC. Any guesses on the grades?

Please continue The Deposed....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Tough call for me on that GTG. 64? 65? Dunno. Handsome coin, regardless.

7. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

65-66

8. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I see several of the leaders who were "deposed" were actually assassinated or murdered. I guess we could post a Lincoln cent or a Kennedy half. George III was sort of "removed" from his rule over the American colonies by our revolution. I think Louis Napoleon was removed from power in some fashion. His monogram LN appears on these old Java duits 1810 JAVA LN 1 d obv (2).JPG 1810 JAVA LN 1 d rev (2).JPG 1809 JAVA LN 1 d obv.JPG 1809 JAVA LN 1 d rev.JPG .

old49er, Stork, MontCollector and 4 others like this.
  9. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

s-l300 (1).jpg Ouch!

Somebody deposed this poor trime o_O

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  10. Stork

I think the coin is closer to 65, a bit of roughness on the cheek. PCGS had it in a 67 slab, including the green shmutz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

washed it off/flicked with a thorn too come to think of it as some was stubborn. My lighting set up changed, and here it is in the 66 NGC slab, the photo from above. I thought that a bit generous, but perhaps the lighting overemphasizes what I'm looking at on the cheek/neck. The luster is to die for.

[​IMG]

And, after invading Albania, the Italians were removed not so long after. King Vittorio Emanuele III, was then removed as well, both from Albania, and from Italy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super fun (for us) theme--keep it going, or perhaps show the same person on two different countries. A bit more complicated as more than one coin required to fulfill the requirements.

old49er, Muzyck, Steve66 and 3 others like this.
  11. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Who could forget this guy? image.jpg image.jpg

12. coin_nut

"Off with their heads!"

Milesofwho likes this.
  13. coin_nut

Paul Kruger. It seems he went into voluntary exile rather than being murdered or jailed. Part of his story from Wikipedia:

"Following the influx of thousands of predominantly British settlers with the Witwatersrand Gold Rush of 1886, "uitlanders" (out-landers) provided almost all of the South African Republic's tax revenues but lacked civic representation; Boer burghers retained control of the government. The uitlander problem and the associated tensions with Britain dominated Kruger's attention for the rest of his presidency, to which he was re-elected in 1888, 1893 and 1898, and led to the Jameson Raid of 1895–96 and ultimately the Second Boer War. Kruger left for Europe as the war turned against the Boers in 1900 and spent the rest of his life in exile, refusing to return home following the British victory. After he died in Switzerland at the age of 78 in 1904, his body was returned to South Africa for a state funeral, and buried in the Heroes' Acre in Pretoria." 1894 ZAR 3 p obv.JPG 1894 ZAR 3 p rev.JPG

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Time to revive this thread. About three days since a post so let's change the theme to.... cats.

Isle Of Man One Crown 1970 obverse 50pct.jpg
    Isle Of Man One Crown 1970 reverse 50pct.jpg

15. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

16. coin_nut

Cat, OK. A great cat with an almost human looking face. 2002 CD 1 f obv.JPG 2002 CD 1 f rev.JPG

17. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

so many coins with cats. this could go on for awhile
    [​IMG]

18. coin_nut

19. Stork

20. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

21. coin_nut

That Czech lion is a dandy! More cats 2009 CZ 50 k obv.JPG 2009 CZ 50 k rev.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted