"Follow The Leader" coin thread BY THEME (for ALL types of coins, tokens, and medals)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 6, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I had one of those, too. Cyprus Vickies can be tough to find, especially decent ones. I'd call this NGC XF40 example just acceptable. Not particularly good looking.

[​IMG]

New theme: Queen Victoria!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

The lovely Queen Victoria, good choice 1891 GB 1-2 p obv.JPG 1891 GB 1-2 p rev.JPG

alurid, dirty_brian, Stork and 3 others like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

5. coin_nut

I have a lot of different Victoria coins, and I reckon that before I drop dead, I will have a lot more. 1840 India 1 r obv.JPG 1840 India 1 r rev.JPG 1859 CA 1 c obv.JPG 1859 CA 1 c rev.JPG 1862 India 1 r obv.JPG 1862 India 1 r rev.JPG 1871 PEI 1 c obv.JPG 1871 PEI 1 c rev.JPG

alurid, lordmarcovan, Steve66 and 4 others like this.
  6. coin_nut

A few more, trying to make them all real pretty and different. 1854 GB half p obv.JPG 1854 GB half p rev.JPG 1861 GB half p obv.JPG 1861 GB half p rev.JPG 1890 Cey 1-2 c obv.JPG 1890 Cey 1-2 c rev.JPG 1890 GB sovereign obv.JPG 1890 GB sovereign rev.JPG

7. semibovinian

semibovinian Well-Known Member

Straits Settlements, 1/2 cent, 1845:

1845_MY_Straits_Settlements_1`2cent_1o_DPP_2017_06_20__0064.jpg 1845_MY_Straits_Settlements_1`2cent_1r_DPP_2017_06_20__0066.jpg

8. coin_nut

Double florin, "The barmaid's ruin". Easy to confuse with a crown. 1887 GB 2 florin obv.JPG 1887 GB 2 florin rev.JPG

alurid, PaddyB, Stork and 2 others like this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

10. coin_nut

Wish I could like that one about 5 or 10 times...

alurid and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  11. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

[​IMG]
    Young to old...the color came from the original box.

alurid, Steve66, semibovinian and 2 others like this.
  12. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

13. lordmarcovan

14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I have been searching for a different portrait in my collection and come up with this one from her coronation. White metal and about 51mm diameter.
    Victoria Coronation Medal 1.JPG Victoria Coronation Medal 2.JPG

15. lordmarcovan

As I discovered when doing the 1901 type set, there was a surprising variety in her portraiture across the empire in just that one year, her last. She was a veiled widow in England, still young in Canada and elsewhere, vaguely "Gothic" in India, and so on.

[​IMG]

16. lordmarcovan

That Hong Kong 50c is very handsome!

Ditto that 1840 rupee! Both with the look I like in circulated silver! (Note my Cyprus 18P above, which, though much lower grade, has the same sort of nice grey antique patina goin' on.)

17. coin_nut

This is a rather unusual commemorative token I just remembered having. Must be one of the last images of Queen Victoria. 1901 GB Comem obv (2).JPG 1901 GB Comem rev (2).JPG

18. lordmarcovan

19. lordmarcovan

20. coin_nut

Still doing Victoria, huh? We could go for weeks on this theme...I think this token has something to do with "temperance"? 1850 GB Token obv.JPG 1850 GB Token rev.JPG

21. lordmarcovan

Yep, I'm aboard with Victoria until somebody changes the theme. QE2 could have a very long run as well, and might be a good future theme. But I don't have as many with her.

(I think that is indeed a temperance medal, BTW. Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. Never seen that type.)

[​IMG]
    (NGC MS64; ex-NGC MS65)

Draft saved Draft deleted