Follow the lead picture post (Mexican coins only)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ripley, Jun 30, 2013.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

A 2010 5 oz. Silver Libertad next to a common 1957 1 Peso (10% silver):

[​IMG]

sonlarson and Ripley like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Another silver 5 peso -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Lucky Cuss

Lucky Cuss Cobrador de Plata

I'll play along within the confines of this theme. Here's one of my favorites, an 1879 Ho (Hermosillo, Sonora mint) Ocho Reales that's perhaps the only example I have that's indisputably uncirculated (albeit uncertified as such). If you look closely, you'll see the obverse is interesting for the snake being depicted as having distinct segments. 1879 Ho rev.jpg 1879 Ho obv.jpg

BRandM and Ripley like this.
  5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Here is one from Alamos

6. Lucky Cuss

That's a very nice one. I have an 1891 As that to judge from the lack of any high point wear may well be uncirculated, but "brilliant" it ain't, as it's turned quite dark and unphotogenic (as many of these seem to).

Ripley likes this.
  7. Lucky Cuss

Here's a look at "la moneda de plata deslustrada" to which I referred in my most recent post -

1891 As rev.jpg 1891 As obv.jpg

Ripley likes this.
  8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

An early Peso 1899, Mexico City mint.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

11. krispy

krispy krispy

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Here is the 1947 variety. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

krispy likes this.
  13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

14. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

15. krispy

krispy krispy

16. petronius

petronius Duke

Nobody likes bi-metallic coins?

100 pesos 2005 for Aguas Calientes

aguas calientes1.jpg aguas calientes2.jpg

petronius :)

Ripley likes this.
  17. krispy

krispy krispy

Is your 2005 10o Pesos coin one the numismatic versions in actual gold and silver, or the version in sterling silver with aluminum-bronze composition? Thanks for posting an example. Looks liker there may be a trace of a finger print over the date. And on the other side, over "canos" in Mexicanos.

FWIW: Most coins are an alloy of some sort, silver coins contain copper and gold coins silver and copper in composition, bi and tri-metallic, no? Modern issues in Cu-Ni are by nature, bimetallic, too, two! ;)

18. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Your 1948 5-Pesos is beautiful Chris. Almost makes me want to start collecting them. I've actually always liked a lot of the older Mexican coins but never bought any.

Bruce

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Bruce, the 5 Pesos "Cuauhtemoc" pieces are a really nice big coin. You can find them for decent prices in really stunning BU quality with nice luster, plus there are just a couple of years worth of them but they're not scarce. I most definitely recommend getting one and seeing what you think about it, in-hand. (1947-48 in silver, the design was simplified and reused later in clad coinage.)

Since you are into counter-stamped coins, you may also keep your eyes peeled for Mexican coins with counter-stamps. The ones I've seen carry decent premiums, too. In fact, I recently was outbid on this one on eBay as I underestimated the interest in the coin. I thought it was really interesting, a 1921 silver 1 Peso Mexican coin, "assayed" by the State of Nevada.

20. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I followed that counterstamp for a bit too Chris. I almost bid on it but changed my mind as I saw something else that interested me more. I do have some counterstamps on Mexican coins but they're all U.S. issues. One that comes to mind is from the Chicago Coin Club celebrating their 400th meeting on May 14, 1952. It's on a 1944 Mexican 1 Peso. The dies used are very well executed and make for a really nice contemporary issue. Thanks for the info Chris.

Bruce

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Hah! Should of known you'd know all about those! I wasn't sure if you watched many counterstamp coins on non-US coins or not. Feel free to post a pic of your Mexican coin with counterstamps, or fire up a new thread. I'd enjoy seeing those.

Draft saved Draft deleted