Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

philip junior liberal.jpg
    Philip II, sestertius

Next: a coin whose find-spot is known

octavius, TuckHard, Sulla80 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ANCIENT SRI LANKA

[​IMG]
    Sri Lanka,
    excavated in Anuradhapura
    Anonymous, 1st C. BCE
    PB 1/8 Lakshmi
    1.1g, 14.1mm x 7.8mm
    RARE
    OBV: Hindu Goddess Lakshmi facing. She is the goddess of wealth, fortune, and prosperity. She was a beauty and the wife of Vishnu
    REV: (blank)
    Comment: "Lakshmi (Sanskrit: लक्ष्मी, lakṣmī,ˈləkʂmiː) is the Hindu goddess of wealth, fortune and prosperity. She is the wife and shakti(energy) of Vishnu, a major god in Hinduism.[2] Lakshmi is also an important deity in Jainism and found in Jain temples.[3] Lakshmi was also a goddess of abundance and fortune for Buddhists, and was represented on the oldest surviving stupas and cave temples of Buddhism.[4][5] In Buddhist sects of Tibet, Nepal and southeast Asia, goddess Vasudharamirrors the characteristics and attributes of the Hindu goddess Lakshmi with minor iconographic differences." -Wikipedia.org
    [​IMG]

Next: Non-Roman, Non-Greek, Non-Persian Non-Carthage God / Goddess

octavius, Ryro, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Baby Krishna dancing on an evil snake.
    krishna,.jpg
    Next, a god/goddess killing someone.

octavius, Edessa, TuckHard and 8 others like this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

==Clipboard01.jpg
    Gallienus 253-268 AD.
    Cilicia, Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Æ
    Obv: Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r.
    Rev: Athena advancing r., holding spear and shield, about to strike a serpent-legged giant.
    29mm, 8.42g, 6h
    SNG BnF 1066; SNGLevante 789.

Next: A battle scene.

octavius, Ryro, Edessa and 10 others like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’ve already posted my Paeonian tet to the thread so I’ll have to go with my Falling Horseman here.
    18109B8D-B8AD-4498-ADCF-E18465255512.jpeg

Next: An under-appreciated coin design.

Shea19, octavius, Ryro and 11 others like this.
  7. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

This is of course very subjective. I always considered the coinage of the "Gallic emperors" under-appreciated from an artistic point of view. Maybe it's because it is so common and has been so awkwardly imitated. Let's take just an example, this Tetricus II antoninianus, minted in Cologne or somewhere else in Southern Gaul :

Tetricus II 1.jpg Obv.: C PIV ESV TETRICVS CAES, draped and cuirassed radiate bust right
    Rev.: SPES AVGG, Spes walking left holding flower

The reverse type is a schematic reinterpretation of an extremely common reverse used by many emperors since Claudius I. It obviously depicts a statue which was in Rome. On first and second century sestertii (the most detailed depictions) we can see that this statue of Spes was probably of archaic style, like the terracotta monumental Apollo of Veii of the late 6th c. BC that was discovered in the workshop of an Etruscan sculptor at Veii. On this 3rd c. AD Gallic die, the traditional image is stylized in a way that reminds us of the older Celtic coinage: nothing but curves, S, spirals, the only straight line being the neck of the goddess. The result is very elegant.

NEXT : Spes

Shea19, octavius, Ryro and 12 others like this.
  8. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I really wanted this coin as I had no Spes or Carus in my collection
    upload_2022-1-19_11-15-7.png

Carus AD 282-283. Struck December AD 282 - February AD 283. Ticinium
    Antoninianus Æ
    22 mm, 3,36 g
    IMP CARVS P F AVG, bust of Carus, radiate, cuirassed, right / SPES PVBLICA, Spes, draped, walking left, holding flower in right hand and raising robe with left hand
    Mintmark: /-//SXXI
    RIC V Carus 82
    Next - Carus

Shea19, octavius, Ryro and 12 others like this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

carus500.jpg CARUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.54g, 22.6mm. Rome mint, AD 283. RIC 47; Cohen 15. O: DIVO CARO, radiate bust right. R: Eagle with spread wings facing front, head left; KAA in exergue.
    Ex Old Sable Collection; ex Rauch 87 (2010), lot 816

Next: Another bald/balding portrait

Shea19, octavius, Ryro and 13 others like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Toward the end of Severus' reign and in the early part of Caracalla's stint on the throne, Julia Domna adopted a different hairstyle, perhaps necessitated by a form of hair loss (see video, below). The bun is reduced in size and she has begun to incorporate a braided border of hair to frame the sides and bottom of the coiffure, which foreshadows her later "helmet-style" hairdo. Typically, a ringlet of hair peeks out from the helmet to adorn her cheek.

Domna HILARITAS palm and cornucopiae denarius Rome later hairstyle.jpg

Next: Hilaritas.

Shea19, Curtisimo, octavius and 11 others like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Tetricus I 4.jpg
    TETRICUS I
    Antoninianus
    OBVERSE:IMP TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: HILARITAS AVGG, Hilaritas standing left, holding long branch and cornucopiae
    Struck at Cologne, 273-4 AD
    3.8g, 19mm
    RIC 80

Next: Tetricus II

Shea19, Curtisimo, Spaniard and 10 others like this.
  12. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Tetricus II 3.jpg
    Tetricus II, antoninianus, Cologne or Southern Gaul.
    ev.: PIETAS AVGVSTOR

Next : Wahballath

Curtisimo, Spaniard, octavius and 9 others like this.
  13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

vabalathus1.jpg

vabalathus2.jpg

Next: Oriens AVG reverse (in commemoration of Aurelian's victory over Palmyra).

14. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Aur SOL.jpg
    Next, Aurelian denarius.

15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

JayAg47 likes this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Aurelian Denarius.

[​IMG]
    Aurelian, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon denarius, 1.66 g, 15.7 mm, 11 h.
    Rome mint, officina 5, issue 11, early – September AD 275.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm; at feet to left, a bound and seated captive; –/–//∈.
    Refs: RIC 73 var.; MER/RIC temp 1680; Cohen 255 var.; RCV 11643; CBN 283-84; La Venera 1508-9.

Next: Your favorite Aurelian.

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Aurilion
    rs2270b02077lg.JPG

Next: another lion thatis NOT the major type (smaller the better)

Edessa, Shea19, Curtisimo and 13 others like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Spot the lion:

Poppaea - PHRYGIA Acmoneia AE16 Artemis 3640.jpg
    POPPAEA
    AE17. 3.3g, 16.7mm. PHRYGIA, Acmoneia, circa AD 62. Lucius Servenius Capito, archon, with his wife Julia Severa. RPC I 3175. O: ΠOΠΠAIA CEBACTH, Draped bust of Poppaea to right, wearing wreath of grain ears; before, forepart of lion to right. R: CEPOYHNIOY KAΠITΩNOC - KAI IOYΛIAC / CEOYHPAC – AKMONEΩN, Artemis advancing right, holding bow in her left hand and drawing arrow from quiver with her right; to left, monogram; to right, monogram above lyre.

Next: Another coin bearing the name of a woman who was not a deity or member of the royal family

19. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

12 hr. rule. Next: Bust of Helios, not from Rhodes/Islands off Caria. Like this one, the first of my NYINC acquisitions I've had a chance to write up:

Hadrian, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 14 (129/130 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ - ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ ϹƐΒ / Rev. Radiate and draped bust of Helios right, L - ΙΔ (Year 14) across fields. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 5737 (2015); RPC III Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/5737 ; Emmett 852.14 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; Milne 1280 [Milne, J.G., Catalogue of Alexandrian Coins (Oxford 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay, 1971)]; BMC 16 Alexandria 584 at p. 71 [Poole, Reginald Stuart, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 16, Alexandria (London, 1892)] (see https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_CR-1075); Sear RCV II 3735; K&G 32.478 (ill. p. 136) [Kampmann, Ursula & Ganschow, Thomas, Die Münzen der römischen Münzstätte Alexandria (2008)]. Purchased Jan. 14, 2022 from Pars Coins at 2022 NYINC; ex. Pegasus Numismatics (Nick Economopoulos). 26x23 mm., 10.51 g.

New Hadrian Sol combined 1.jpg

20. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Gallien Alexandrie.jpg
    Gallienus, BI tetradrachm of Alexandria.

Next : Valerian

21. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Valerian I AR Antoninianus.Rome AD 255-256 ...2.93g
    Obverse..IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
    Reverse..FELICITAS AVGG, Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
    RIC 87, Cohen 55; Sear 9936.
    VALERIAN.jpg

Next...One of his grandsons.

Edessa, Alegandron, Curtisimo and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted