Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Goat Sacrifice

[​IMG]
    RR AR Denarius 3.88g L Pomponius Molo 97 BCE Rome Apollo Numa Pompilius stdng Lituus alter sacrifice goat Cr 334-1 Syd 607

Next: Cow- Heifer. NOT a bull

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Roman Republic, A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus (Aulus Postumius Albinus, son of Aulus [mint magistrate ca. 96 BCE], and grandson of Spurius [Consul 110 BCE]), AR Serrate Denarius, 81 BCE. Obv. Draped bust of Diana right, with bow and quiver over shoulder, figure of stag’s head at end of bow (horns to left), bucranium above [off flan] / Rev. Roman priest standing facing on rocky ground (on Aventine Hill), head left, with right arm extended holding aspergillum, sprinkling heifer [Harlan, RRM I*], bull [Crawford & Sear], or ox [RSC] which he is about to sacrifice, a lighted altar between them, A POST - AF - SN • ALBIN [AL in monogram] around. RSC I Postumia 7, Crawford 372/1, Sydenham 745, Sear RCV I 296 (ill.), Harlan, RRM I Ch. 1 at pp. 1-7, BMCRR 2836. 18.54 mm., 3.85 g. Ex. Spink & Sons Ltd. (before 2000 because of address on Spink coin tag; probably before 1974 given citation to Sydenham but not Crawford.)

Postumius (Diana-Sacrifice of Heifer) COMBINED 2.jpg

* See Michael Harlan, Roman Republican Moneyers and their Coins, 81 BCE-64 BCE (2012) (“RRM I”) (using this coin-type as the cover illustration for his book). At pp. 3-4, Harlan argues that in the legend which, as Crawford acknowledges, is the basis for the reverse of this coin -- namely, the sacrifice to Diana on the Aventine Hill founding her temple there ca. 500 BCE, establishing Rome as the caput rerum for all of Italy [and symbolizing the victory of Sulla over the rebel Italians in 82 BCE] -- the sacrificed animal was a heifer with wondrous horns, not a bull or an ox. (Citing Livy, The History of Rome, Book 1, ch. 45 [available at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0145:book=1:chapter=45].)

Next: another Roman coin depicting an animal sacrifice. (There have to be some, right?)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. DonnaML

If nobody has another animal sacrifice coin, an ordinary sacrificial scene sans animal will do!

5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

This piggy is going to meet a sticky end.

Moneyer: Ti. Veturius
    Obv.: X TI VET - Draped bust of Mars right
    Rev.: ROMA - Youth kneeling left, between two warriors who touch with their swords a pig which he holds
    Mint: Rome (137 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.80g / 19mm / 11h
    References:
    • RSC 1 (Veturia)
    • Sydenham 527
    • Crawford 234/1
    Acquisition: Numismatik Lanz eBay 6-May-2011

[​IMG]

Next - a pig on a coin

6. DonnaML

Titus Caesar (son of Vespasian). AR Denarius 77=78 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, T CAESAR VESPASIANVS (counterclockwise from lower right) / Rev. Sow standing left with three piglets, two standing below her and one behind; in exergue, IMP XIII. RIC II.1 986 (Vespasian) (2007 ed.), RSC II 104, Sear RCV I 2443, BMCRE 227. 18.5 mm., 3.17 g.

Titus - Sow & Piglets.jpg

Next: another sow.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Despite the over cleaning I enjoy this coin and I still giggle every time I see this it as the swine appears to be roasting via electrocution!
    IMG_0396.PNG
    Next up: left facing Zeus

TIF, TuckHard, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  8. I guess this qualifies as left facing, albeit a bit small :p

My little posthumous drachm of Alexander from Sardes, Lydia, with a torch monogram.

[​IMG]

Next up: Depictions of fire.

Attached Files:

9. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Hope this is fire enough:
    1930320_1621371241.jpg

Next: satrapal or Sasanian.

10. DonnaML

But how do you know it's a sow?

11. Ryro

Maybe I'm too drunk, but the request was for a pig, you responded with a pig and requested another sow. I assumed this just meant pig as you'd said, another.
    What is the difference between pig and sow?

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Human is a man or woman, girl or boy.

Pig is a sow or boar.

:)

13. DonnaML

I meant another sow like the one I had posted. In other words, a female -- which you can usually tell on coins the same way you can tell a wolf from a she-wolf! The piglets on mine were also a clue. I honestly can't see on your coin which it is.

Ryro likes this.
  14. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I have trouble distinguishing male or female pigs on ancient coins. And that's the udder truth!

TIF, DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  15. Ryro

I see. Good call out. Mine sure looks male and sans piglets.
    Next up: sow

DonnaML likes this.
  16. Ignoramus Maximus

Nope. Still on satrapal or Sasanian!:D

17. robinjojo

Here's an imitation issued by Sabakes of an Athenian type tetradrachm, circa 333 BC.

16.65 grams

D-Camera Athens Egypt imit tet Sabakes Persian satrap aramaic rev c 333BC 16.65g CNG  4-10-21.jpg

Next: Another satrap of your choice, any metal.

18. DonnaML

Nope. Mine takes precedence, because it was never answered. Next is still a sow!

19. Ignoramus Maximus

Let's compromise: how about a Sasanian sow?

Cucumbor, DonnaML and robinjojo like this.
  20. robinjojo

I defer -

Next: a sow. And don't go hog wild!

DonnaML likes this.
  21. DonnaML

I guess it's up to me!

Roman Republic, C. Sulpicius C.f. Galba, AR Serrate Denarius, 106 BCE, Rome Mint. Obv. Jugate heads of Dei Penates left, D•P•P [Dei Penates Publici] beneath heads / Rev. Two soldiers facing each other, holding spears and pointing at sow lying down between them; S above; in exergue: C•SVL•ICI•C•F. [Indication of undertype on right of reverse, causing loss of detail.] RSC I Sulpicia 1, Crawford 312/1, Sydenham 572, BMCRR Rome 1324, Sear RCV I 189 (ill.) 18.12 mm., 3.83 g. [See Sear RCV I at p. 108: “Crawford’s interpretation of this interesting type seems the most convincing: it refers to Aeneas’ [landing at and founding of] Lavinium (home of the Sulpicia gens) with the Penates, and the subsequent miracle of the great white sow [giving birth to 30 piglets], which foretold the founding of Alba Longa,” where the soil was more fertile, 30 years later.] (Ex. Madroosi Collection [Joe Blazick])

Sulpicius Galba - Sow 2.jpg

Next: two or more soldiers on the same side of a Roman coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted