Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Another Palladium:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.10 g, 17.9 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 196.
    Obv: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII, laureate head, right.
    Rev: P M TR P IIII COS II P P, Minerva standing left, holding transverse spear in right hand and round shield in left hand (i.e., the Palladium).
    Refs: RIC 83; BMCRE 139; Cohen 417; Hill 216; RCV --.

Next: die-axis 180° (6 h).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's one with a 6h die axis.

Moneyers: L. Aemilius Lepidus Paullus and L. Scribonius Libo
    Coin: Silver Denarius
    Obv.: PAVLLVS·LEPIDVS CONCORD - Veiled and diademed head of Concordia right
    Rev.: PVTEAL·SCRIBON LIBO - Puteal Scribonianum (Scribonian well), decorated with garland and two lyres; hammer at base
    Mint: Rome (62 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.81g / 20mm / 6h
    References:
    • RSC 11 (Aemilia)
    • Sydenham 927
    • Crawford 417/1a
    • RBW 1503
    Acquisition/Sale: CNG Online auction E-auction 485 #400 10-Feb-2021

[​IMG]

Next - Concordia

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Balbinus. AD 238.

Æ Sestertius, 33mm, 22.9g, 12h; Rome mint. 1st emission.

Obv
    .: IMP CAES D CAEL BALBINVS AVG; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.

Rev
    .: CONCORDIA AVGG; Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopia; S C in exergue.

Reference
    : RIC IVb 22, p. 171.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next: Pupienus

5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's the Pupienus equivalent of ACH's coin.

Obv.: IMP CAES M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: CONCORDIA AVGG - Concordia, draped, seated left, holding patera and double cornucopiae
    Exergue:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Mint: Rome (238 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 16.97g / 30mm / 12h
    Rarity: R2
    References:
    • RIC 20
    • BMC 43
    • Cohen 7
    • Sear 8530
    Acquisition: CGB Online Auction E-auction 26 #8008 14-Oct-2013
    [​IMG]

Next - another sestertius

Alegandron, Bing, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Sestertius:

[​IMG]
    Agrippina I, wife of Germanicus, 14 BC - AD 33
    Roman AE Sestertius 27.92 gm, 34.8 mm, 7 h
    Rome mint. Struck under Claudius, 42-54 AD
    Obv: AGRIPPINA M F GERMANICI CAESARIS, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP P P around large SC.
    Refs: RIC I 102 (Claudius); BMCRE 219 (Claudius); Cohen 3.

Next: 1st century woman.

Alegandron, Bing, DonnaML and 8 others like this.
  7. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Agrippina Sr.
    AE Sestertius
    Agrippina Sr sestertius.jpg
    Next: Agrippina Jr.

Alegandron, Andres2, Bing and 9 others like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

share9160503073803503605.png
    Next up: Messalina

9. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

12 hours

1206-1215 AD AE Jital Tay al-Din Yildiz Kurraman Mint Tye 200 2.93g 14mm S3 Combined.jpg
    Ghurid Dynasty
    1206 - 1215 AD | Tay al-Din Yildiz
    AE Jital | 2.93 grams | 14mm
    Kurraman Mint
    Ref: Tye 200

Next: Another bull

10. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

HI All,

upload_2021-4-26_13-50-23.png

NEXT: Another Egyptian Nome Coin

- Broucheion

Ryro, TuckHard, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Augustus Denarius 15=13 BC Lugdunum mint Obv Head right bare. Rv, Bull butting right. RIC 167a 3.69 grms 18 mm I guess this coin has something to do with his nickname of Thurinus. Photo by W. Hansen augustusd44.jpeg Out of order Next Another Egyptian Nome coin

Ryro, TuckHard, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  12. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

OOOPS !!!!

Seems we had a collision here. Either next coin is ok with me.
    upload_2021-4-26_14-0-36.png
    - Broucheion

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's a Nomes Obol. In case anyone doesn't want to read the whole thing to learn what's next -- even though I've shortened my footnote! -- next is: A Roman Alexandrian coin depicting a theme from traditional "old" Egyptian religion or iconography (e.g., Isis, Osiris, another traditional Egyptian deity, a Canopus jar, a mummy, etc.), rather than one of the syncretistic Greco-Roman/Egyptian deities.

Hadrian, AE Nome Obol, Year 11 (136/127 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint (for Arsinoite Nome). Obv. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder, AΥΤ ΚΑΙ - ΤΡΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ ϹΕΒ / Rev. Head of Egyptian Pharaoh right, no beard [identified with Amenemhat III, under Greco-Roman name of Pramarres], wearing nemes [royal striped headdress] with uraeus [sacred cobra, worn by deities and pharaohs] at forehead; APCI (= Arsi[noites]) to left, date L IA (Year 11) to right. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. III 6296 (2015); RPC III Online at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/6296 ; Emmett 1211.11 [Emmett, Keith, Alexandrian Coins (Lodi, WI, 2001)]; BMC 16 Alexandria, Nomes 72-73 at p. 357 [Pool, Reginald Stuart, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 16, Alexandria (London, 1892)]; Sear RCV II 3831 (ill.); Köln 3381/82 [Geissen, A., Katalog alexandrinischer Kaisermünzen, Köln, Band II (Hadrian-Antoninus Pius) (Cologne, 1978, corrected reprint 1987)]; K&G N6.6; Milne 1229 [Milne, J., A Catalogue of the Alexandrian Coins in the Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, 1933, reprint with supplement by Colin M. Kraay). 19.4 mm., 5.32 g. (Purchased from Zuzim Inc., Brooklyn, NY Jan 2021; ex. Fontanille Coins, Auction 96, July 2017, Lot 7, sold as “the finest example [that dealer] ha[d] seen.”)*

Fontanille coins Auction 96 July 2017 No. 7 (Hadrian-Pharaoh, Alexandria Yr 11).jpg

*The Nomes (from Greek: Νομός, "district") were the 60-70 administrative divisions of Egypt under the Ptolemies and Romans; the Egyptian term for a nome was “sepat.” See https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Nomes. The Arsinoite Nome (known as “Arsinoites”), the capital of which was the city of Arsinoe, corresponded to the area of the Fayum Oasis or Basin, Lake Moeris, etc., west of the Nile and southwest of Cairo. See https://www.trismegistos.org/fayum/fayum2/gen_intro.php. It encompassed, among other things, the pyramid of Amenemhet III near the town of Hawara, north of the lake (the site of the famous necropolis where the Fayum mummy portraits were discovered). See id., see also the discussion, with photos including one of the Hawara pyramid, by “@jochen1” at https://www.cointalk.com/threads/amenemhet-iii.370249/#post-5138482.

The Nomes coins were small bronze issues minted in Alexandria, each with the head of the reigning emperor on the obverse, and the name (in full or abbreviated, as with this coin) of a different Nome written in Greek on the reverse, together with an image ostensibly bearing some relationship to a deity or to cult worship associated with that Nome. They were issued under Domitian, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelius Caesar. See Numiswiki, supra. See also Emmett at p. xv for a discussion of the Nomes coinage, noting that Hadrian issued “the most nome coins in terms of numbers of coins issued, numbers of different reverse types and numbers of nomes.” Indeed, Emmett specifically singles out this type from among Hadrian’s extensive series of bronze Nome obols and dichalkons issued in Year 11, as one of “only two interesting reverse types that appear on Hadrian’s obols: that of a bust of an Egyptian King on his Arsinoite nome obol”; it is the only Nomes type bearing such an image. Id. Emmett makes no attempt to identify which “King.” However, RPC III 1749 expressly identifies the reverse image as “head of Premarres (Amenemhet III),” who reigned in the 12th Dynasty, from 1842-1797 BC. (The more common spellings seem to be “Pramarres” and “Amenenhat.”). The evidence available online appears to support that identification.

Thus, Emmett states that “[t]hese coins depict the local cult-worship of each nome,” with “Horus and Isis . . . the god and goddess most often represented in their various forms on the reverses of the nome coins.” Id. [Lengthy portion of footnote omitted.] . . . .

See https://www.trismegistos.org/fayum/fayum2/747.php?geo_id=747 -- trismegistos is “a platform aiming to surmount barriers of language and discipline in the study of texts from the ancient world, particularly late period Egypt” -- for a lengthy discussion of the archaeological excavations at Hawara, including at the pyramid of Amenemhat III. The discussion specifically notes that “the fullest topographical description [of the location] in the Graeco-Roman period is found in P.Hawara Lüdd. XIX (85 BC): ‘the necropolis, which is in the Souchos village Hawara in the exo topoi in the area on the north side of the Moeris canal in the meris of Herakleides in the Arsinoite nome.’" (Emphasis added.) Thus, the location of the tomb of Amenemhat III within the Arsinoite Nome is not in question.

The website states as follows:

“Hawara owed its fame to Pramarres, the 12th Dynasty pharaoh Amenemhat III, who built his funerary complex at Hawara around 1800 BC. The Labyrinth, south of the pyramid, was evidently the main cult centre of the deified pharaoh (photo). The cult is attested by Ptolemaic dedications, such as I.Fayum I 34 and 35 (both 1st cent. BC) and the demotic stele Stewart 1983 Nr. 81 (Ptolemaic period).”

The website also discusses how well-known the necropolis near the pyramid was, as far away as Alexandria (where this coin was minted), specifically because of its connection with the deified Amenemhat III. Note the reference to a will executed between 117 and 138 AD, i.e., during the reign of Hadrian:

“Hawara, ideally located at the desert edge and easily accessible from the metropolis by the Bahr Yussuf, was a logical choice as necropolis for the nome capital. For some it was a privilege to be buried in the sacred area near the tomb and temple of the deified Amenemhat. Thus an anonymous metropolite, who lived at Tebtynis, explicitly mentioned in his last will that he wanted to be buried 'near the Labyrinth' (SB VIII 9642 l.4; 117-138 AD). At least part of the Hellenized elite buried at Hawara must have lived in the metropolis, e.g. the gymnasiarchs Tiberius Iulius Asklepiades and Dios and their wives. The specification ᾿Αρσινοείτης added to the occupation of the wool merchant Apollinarios (SB I 3965/III 7084; 2nd century AD) and the mention of the agora; τῶν ἱματοπωλῶν on the mummy label of Diodoros (SB XVIII 13654; Roman period) suggest that these too were inhabitants of Arsinoe.

Hawara also attracted persons from other places in the Arsinoite nome. Thus the body of an undertaker of Alexandrou Nesos had to be placed in a family tomb at Hawara (P.Hawara Lüdd. IV; 220 BC). The unpublished account P.Ashm. I 30 lists deceased from the village Mendes, from Ptolemais Hormou and even from Meidoum in the Memphite nome. There may even be a relation between the place of origin of the dead and the cult places of Pramarres in the Fayum (e.g. Alexandrou Nesos and Tebtynis).

Indeed, even people from outside the Fayum found their last resting place at Hawara, as is attested by the correspondence between the undertakers of Alexandria with those of Hawara (SB I 5216; 101, 68 or 39 BC) and by the mummy label of Pantagathos, sent "to the Arsinoite nome" (SB I 3967).”

(Emphasis added.)

The conclusion that the image of a pharaoh on the reverse of this coin of the Arsinoite Nome was intended to represent the deified pharaoh Pramarres, i.e. Amenemhat III -- regardless of the fact that the coinage was minted in Alexandria -- appears inescapable. The type is historically significant, given that there is no other Egyptian pharaoh represented on Roman Alexandrian coinage.

14. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I have a Hadrian tetradrachm with Sarapis, but I would like to see something more interesting here :)

Roman Collector and DonnaML like this.
  15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Serapis would definitely not meet my request!

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Would a man headed snake do? It might seem to bring back that old time religion but the head of Agathodaimon does look like Serapis so this one is disqualified, too. Someone who is awake in four hours be ready.
    pa0250bb0458.jpg

17. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

IMG_4377(1).PNG
    Next up: scary snake

18. Roman Collector

I guess this one is scary. Would be to some people.

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman provincial Æ 27.1 mm, 12.33 g, 9 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Sabinius Modestus, legatus consularis, AD 241-244.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ΥΠ CΑΒ ΜΟΔЄCΤΟV ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛЄΙΤ | ΩN ΠPOC ICTP, Nimbate figure of snake-god Glycon, coiled in two coils, rising up, head right.
    Refs: Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2018) 8.36.22.4 (same dies); Varbanov 4146; Moushmov 1488; Mionnet Suppl. 2, 708; AMNG --; BMC --; Lindgren --; Sear --.

Next: Nicopolis ad Istrum.

19. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

upload_2021-4-28_9-50-24.png

Moesia Inferior. Nikopolis ad Istrum. Septimius Severus AD 193-211.
    Bronze Æ 17 mm., 2,46 g. Obv. A K CE - [CEVHROC] Laureate head r. ;rev. NIKo - PROC IC Bearded head of Herakles r. Ref. a) not in AMNG b) not in Varbanov c) Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2020) 8.14.14.44 corr.

Next - bearded Herakles

20. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Thunderbolt Hercules (2).jpg
    next: Antonia(daughter of Marc Antony & Octavia)

21. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Dupondius of Antonia...

next, one of her famous children...

88001220.jpg

Spaniard, Alegandron, Ryro and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted