Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow. If that's what worn dies look like, all my coins should have them. (Paraphrasing A. Lincoln.)

Curtis, JayAg47 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Ryro, Um, I don't think those are sacks!
    (...Trying for one of @Alegandron's, Um, rhetorical flourishes. --@Alegandron, how'd I do?)

Alegandron likes this.
  4. DonnaML

I think @Ryro already knows that!

+VGO.DVCKS and Curtis like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, good boy.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

EDIT: OOPS! Minor cheat -- this is Rome's DIANA of Ephesus, not her Greek version, Artemis of Ephesus! I better start paying better attention, should've been a Greek one!

"The Dreadlocked Gallia"

CONSERVATORI-Hostilius Saserna AR Denarius Dreadlocked Gallia.png

Roman Republic. L. Hostilius Saserna. AR Denarius (4,03g; 19mm; 8h). Rome, 48 BC.
    Obverse: Head of Gallia (as Pallor), right; Gallic trumpet (carnyx) behind.
    Reverse: L•HOSTILIVS (right) / SASERNA (left). Diana of Ephesus standing facing, holding spear and stag by its antler.
    References: Crawford 448/3; Hostilia 4; Syd 953.
    Pedigree: Bertolami Fine Arts Web Auction 92, Lot 987 (3 Oct 2020).
    Notes: Very rare obverse die and of the finest realism; in my opinion the single most artistic obverse die in the series. Strongly suggestive of having been based on an actual living Gallic woman as the model. Struck on a broader than usual flan, but with an unfortunate flat strike to edge (see also the CNG [2003] example).

NEXT: More Wild hair!

7. Alegandron

Wild Hair

[​IMG]
    Celtic Britain Iceni Boudicca 61 CE 1.03g Celt Hd r Celtic horse galloping Seaby 434 Scarce

Next: More Wild Hair

8. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

I love that one!

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

LOL, thank you. I was going to say “I love the Celts!”

10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Screenshot_20200929-090554_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Next up: more Celtic stuff for Gandy

11. +VGO.DVCKS

(With a shout to @DonnaML: ) To further symptomize your corrupting influence on my rhetoric, LOL!

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

LOL
    Think: Sparta.
    Brevity. Dry wit. Impact.
    :)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

...Well, except, to get technical, those are looking a Lot like $60 hair-salon (aka 'Babylon') dreadlocks. In some circles --to shamelessly mix connotations-- that's not cricket!!! :<}}}

14. +VGO.DVCKS

...The combination of brevity and dry wit is something I still need to work on. Glad you're here!

Alegandron likes this.
  15. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Celts in Eastern Europe AR Tetradrachm. B-reiter Type.
    Transylvania, circa 2nd century BC.
    Celticised, laureate and bearded head of Zeus to right / Rider on horseback to left, wearing helmet with long crest terminating in a B. Göbl, OTA pl. 27, 308/2; Kent/Mays, BMC I pl. 5, 72; Lanz 656 (this coin). 12.23g, 25mm, 1h. Good Very Fine. Rare.
    From the Hermann Lanz Collection; this coin published in M. Kostial, Kelten im Osten - Gold und Silber der Kelten in Mittel- und Osteuropa - Sammlung Lanz (Staatlichen Münzsammlung München, 1997);
    This coin exhibited by the Staatlichen Münzsammlung München at the 1997 International Numismatic Congress in Berlin; at the Berliner Bank also in 1997;
    Berlin; at the Berliner Bank also in 1997; also exhibited at the Luitpoldblock Palmengarten, Munich in 2003 (exhibition #106[obverse]);
    Ex Numismatik Lanz München, Auction 60, 11 June 1992, lot 23.

D-Camera Eastern Celts Transylvania, c 2nd cen BC Lanz 656 this coin 12.23g 2-15-21.jpg

Next: A modern medal with an ancient theme.

16. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Lupa Capitolina, 55g, made by the Unione Italiana Di Riassicurazione, a reinsurance company.
    a6y0iox232f61.jpg
    Next, same theme

17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Just purchased yesterday....

THE SOCIETY OF MEDALISTS / MEDALLIC ART CO.
    ISSUE #61
    "ROMULUS AND REMUS..."
    DESIGNER: L. LENTELLI

1960 THE SOCIETY OF MEDALISTS  MADELLIC ART CO.  ISSUE 61 ROMULUS AND REMUS.  L. LENTELLI.jpg

Next, same theme.

18. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

artemis_07.jpg
    Bronze Medal 1930
    by Friedrich Wilhelm Hörnlein, (1873 – 1945)
    Obv: Artemis/Diana with bow and quiver, roe behind, signed Hörnlein
    Rev: EHRENMÜNZE v. HUBERUS SCHIESSKINO, G. ROEDER, DRESDEB, MOSENSTR, Filmstrip with fox head, iPA LEIPZIG 1930
    340 pieces made
    Ref.: Arnold 245

Next: Another medal with an ancient god or goddess, but not a copy of an ancient depiction.

19. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Unesco 1977 set.jpg Unesco 1977 set az.jpg

next: another medal with a greek theme

Ryro, +VGO.DVCKS, TuckHard and 7 others like this.
  20. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

What a fantastic pedigree on that coin!

robinjojo likes this.
  21. DonnaML

I think this medal has a Greek theme, by definition:

France 1906, silvered AE plaque by Paul Vannier, 49 x 70 mm., issued for the 1906 "Intercalated" Olympic Games in Athens. Obv. Athlete stands holding a sword, laurel branch, and victory wreath in right hand, and a shield in left hand; in foreground the Athens Olympic Stadium with crowd; in background the Acropolis, with rising sun/ Rev. Winged Nike (Victory) (or angel) holding trumpet in left hand to proclaim the victor and and a laurel branch in right hand, flying over an olive grove near the Acropolis; space for inscribing name of participating athlete.

1906 Athens Olympics P. Vannier Obverse.jpg 1906 Athens Olympics Plaque P. Vannier Reverse.jpg

My grandmother's brother won a gold and silver medal at these Olympics, although they aren't official the way his gold and silver medals at the 1900 and 1904 games were. He was the first Jewish American to win an Olympic gold medal.

Next, a complete change: A Roman Alexandrian coin from the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. (But see my next post for an Olympian-themed follow-up.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted