Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

AV Dinara Balhk Mint (Baktria)
    Kushano-Sasanian Empire (conquered Kushan lands now under Sasanian control)
    Ardashir I 270-90AD
    Coin imitates Kushan AV Dinara struck under Vasu Deva II
    From Adams Collection/ ANS Plate coin.
    Next up: Same theme IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I guess I'll post again,
    Pandya dynasty, 1268-1308 AD under Maravarman Kulasekara Pandyan I. They were under the control of Cholas since the 10th century but at the turn of 13th century, the weakened Cholas lost their control of Pandyas. But Pandyas came back with vengence, and on 1279 AD they defeated and conquered the Cholas.
    On the first look this looks like a typical 'octopus man' Chola stater (and often misattributed, that's how I got this on ebay for cheap), but the Pandyas copied the Chola coinage, and under the king's arm they added their royal fish symbol and a scepter to its right to denote sovereignty.
    pan.png
    Next, post a coin from a kingdom that conquered back its conquerors!

Spaniard, Alegandron, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  4. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

How about this tied in to your piece? The Srivijaya of Sumatra ruled the seas between the naval Indian <-> Chinese trade routes, notably the Malacca Straits and the Sunda Strait, from around 670 AD until the early 1200s or so. In 1025 AD the Cholas attacked and raided numerous Srivijayan ports around the area including the Srivijayan capital city Palembang where my coin was found. Despite apparently sweeping the Srivijayan navy and port cities, the Chola appeared to have left the region fairly quickly and the Srivijaya rebuilt, although weaker. It's thought by some that the Chola raid even led the Srivijayans to shift the palace and center of power to another site on Sumatra, Jambi. The date range for my coin is quite wide but one type was discovered in the Intan Shipwreck dated to around 960 AD. They appeared to be used in similar manner to the contemporary Javanese coins that were a similar weight standard until around 1300 AD when the use of Chinese copper cash coins dominated and were eventually used as official coinages.

960-1300 CE (Circa) AV 1.16 Massa 'Sandalwood' 'Ma in Nagari script' 0.16g 5mm S3 Combined.png
    Srivijaya of Sumatra
    c. 960 - 1300 AD
    AV 1/16 Massa | 0.16g
    Obv: Incused sandalwood motif
    Rev: Ma in Nagari script
    Ex. Recovered from Musi River of Palembang

Edit: I just reread the previous request, the Srivijaya never reconquered the Chola in their home territory and it's not even clear if the Chola were driven out of Sumatra because of the Srivijayan forces or if they left on their own so the previous go still stands; a kingdom that conquered back its conquerors!

Spaniard, Alegandron, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

The Roman Empire lost its western half by the late 5th century AD to the Germanic tribes. But eastern emperor Justinian retook a good portion of it in by the mid-6th century, including the city of Rome itself (most of these reconquests did not last relatively long, however). The Byzantine Empire continued for another thousand years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Justinian I, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, bust right
    Rev: Large M, cross above, cross to left, star to right, all within wreath
    Mint: Rome
    Mintmark: ROMA (in exergue)
    Date: 537-542 AD
    Ref: SB 293

[​IMG]

Next theme: a siege coin (made while the mint city was under attack/besieged)

Spaniard, TuckHard, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  6. panzerman

Austria 7647dc86db6a38eddb549ea17e4b994d.jpg

In 1526 Sulieman the Magnificent, after taking Belgrade/ faced the Hungarian/ Allied Armies at Mohacs. The Ottomans won the day, Lajos II and most of the nobility lay dead on the Battlefield. Sulieman, then made Transylvania a vassal state of the Ottoman Empire. Janos I Zapolya claimed the vacant Hungarian throne/ pledging allegiance too Sulieman. Later Ferdinand I of Habsburg lay claim to same throne. Sulieman fed with with Habsburg intrigue, invaded Austria, laid seige to Vienna in 1529. Eventually, Sulieman overstretched/ bad weather ended the campaign. Here is one of these "siege coins"

Another "siege" coin....

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

On the attack, though per his commentaries on the gallic war he'd have us believe he was in under siege:
    20180305_204016_108579LG.jpg
    Julius Caesar 49-48 BCE AR denarius (18 mm, 3.43 g, 2 h). Military mint traveling with Caesar. CAESAR in exergue, elephant advancing right, trampling on horned serpent / Simpulum, sprinkler, axe (surmounted by a dog's head), and priest's hat. Crawford 443/1; HCRI 9; Sydenham 1006; RSC 49. Banker's mark on obverse, porous. Near fine. From the Expatriate Collection.

From the Expatriate Collection.
    The Expatriate Collection Expatriate comes from the Latin roots ex-, ""away from,"" and patria, ""one's native country."" The Expatriate Collection was formed by an American who has lived abroad for nearly fourteen years in Japan, Europe, Canada, and the Middle East. His collection was formed almost exclusively while living outside the United States.

Next up: anything Julius Ceasar

8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Julius Caesar Ar Denarius 46-45 BC Obv Diademed bust of Venus right Small cupid on shoulder. Rv Trophy of Gallic arms flanked by two bound captives.Crawford 468/1 CRI 58 Spanish mint 3.93 grms 18 mm. Photo by W. Hansen 468-c.jpg Next coin another victory denarius

Spaniard, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  9. JayAg47

Lucius Verus, Armenia capta.
    Verus.png
    Next, a coin from Armenia.

Spaniard, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  10. TuckHard

12 hours and no coin from Armenia

8.67g 20mm 4mm thick S1 Combined.png
    Ptolemaic Dynasty of Egypt
    8.67g | 20mm wide | 4mm thick

Next: Another coin from Egypt or a kingdom that ruled Egypt for a time

11. panzerman

Bahri/ Mamluks
    AV Dinar ND Alexandria Mint
    Baybars I 1260-77
    Nest up: coin from Syria
    d80d6c4ed7ac0cdb93b5af70fc29bfa8.jpg

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

P1150912 (2).JPG

next: elephant scalp

13. JayAg47

Ptolemy II Philadelphos, 285 - 246 BC. Head of Alexander the Great wearing elephant skin / Eagle on thunderbolt. Alexandria Mint
    03rd.jpg
    Next, another bust of Alexander III himself.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. Andres2

P1170657 best.jpg

another bronze Alexander III

15. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

kaunos.jpg Caria, Kaunos. AE10
    Obv: Diademed head of Alexander the Great r.
    Rev: Filleted cornucopia, K-AY(ligate).
    309-189 BC.

Next: 10mm or less.

16. TuckHard

Still working on identification, if possible, of this tiny thing. It came as a freebie in a lot from a Russian metal detector and I think I have it narrowed down to an AR akce from the Crimean Khanate. The design looks similar to the ones from the start of the 17th century.

1600-1650 CE (Circa) AR Akce 0.25g 9.5mm S1 Combined.png
    Crimean Khanate
    c. 1600 - 1650 CE
    AR Akce | 0.25g | 9.5mm

Next: Metal detected coin

17. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    TuckHard, Andres2 and Bing like this.
  18. Andres2

The bottum of The Netherlands is no good place for ancient copper and bronze coins:

P1140823 (2).JPG

next another MD found coin

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Licinius I 6.jpg
    LICINIUS I
    AE2 Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: GENIO POP ROM S-F, Genius standing left, modius on head, loins draped, holding patera & cornucopia, PLN in ex.
    Struck at London 313-4 AD
    3.1g, 21mm
    RIC VII 3
    Metal Detector find, St Andrews, GB

Next: Coin minted in Britain

20. panzerman

Britannia/ Catuvellauni
    Cunobelinus 10-45AD
    AV Stater ND Colchester Mint
    next: coin minted in Gaul cunobelinus-classic-a-twin-tendrils-4155862-S.jpg

Andres2, TuckHard, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  21. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Minted in Gaul:

[​IMG]
    Augustus with Agrippa, 27 BC - AD 14.
    Roman Æ as, 12.99 g, 26.3 mm, 4 h.
    Nemausus, after 16/15 BC.
    Obv: IMP/DIVI F, heads back to back of Augustus, right, bare, and Agrippa, left, wearing rostral crown.
    Rev: COL-NEM to left and right of palm shoot, its tip to right, behind chained crocodile; two wreaths above palm tip.
    Refs: RIC 155; RPC 523; Cohen 7; AMC 411; RCV 1729.
    Notes: Sear (p. 338) notes this initial revival of the Nemausian series on a lighter weight standard is probably to be associated with Augustus' visit to Gaul in 16 BC.

Next: Palm branch(es).

Andres2, TuckHard, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted