Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Woo-ooh, So Busted! Except, for this minute, more reasons why I can't is all I can give you. Serious, that's, Cordial apologies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Fun hairdo:

[​IMG]
    Faustina Sr, AD 138-141
    Roman AR denarius; 3.83 g, 18.2 mm
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust, right
    Rev: AETERNITAS, Fortuna standing left, holding globe and rudder
    Refs: RIC 348; BMCRE 360; Cohen 6; RCV 4577.

Next: somebody holding a globe.

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Does a capricorn holding it count? :D

THRACE Kings - Roemetalces 197.jpg
    KINGS OF THRACE. Rhoemetalces I.
    AE28. 13.51g, 28mm. Sapaian, late 1st century BC - AD 12. RPC I 1708; Youroukova 182-4. O: BAΣIΛEΩΣ POIMHTAΛKOY, Jugate busts of Rhoemetalces, diademed, and Pythadoris, right. R: KAIΣAPOΣ ΣEBAΣTOY, Jugate busts of Augustus, laureate, and Livia, right; to right, capricorn right, holding globe.

Next: Three, four or more heads on a coin

5. +VGO.DVCKS

Thank you, @Roman Collector, for rising to the challenge. Not to mention the staggering net esthetic improvement on what Ryro would've gotten from here.
    Even for an Antonine, that is some Serious Stuff.
    ...I used to work at a place where this one lady, a little over half my freaking age (and already well over my pay grade), would show up, week by week, with her hair natural, or in a twist, or what.... Something different, almost every week. I remember asking her, once, if she could do Bantu rolls, which she allowed was Just a Little overly ambitious, for that minute. (...Yes, she was lovely in every way ...just don't tell anybody I said that.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Edessa and panzerman like this.
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I would argue that this one complies with the letter of the request, because three heads do appear on the coin, namely those of Faustina II and her twin sons b. 31 Aug 161 AD -- Titus Aurelius Fulvus Antoninus (the older twin, d. 165 AD) and Commodus.

Faustina II with children - jpg version.jpg
    Has anyone ever found it suspicious that all of Commodus's brothers died in childhood? Did he have an alibi? Assuming that's Commodus on the right, what is he reaching for with his hidden left hand?

Next, since perhaps my response didn't comply with the spirit of the request, the same theme as before: three, four, or more heads on a coin.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Valerian, Gallienus and Valerian II AE25 Nicomedia, Bithynia / agonistic urns - third Neocorate
    pp2565fd3175.jpg

Next: another provincial certainly identifiable even though the name of the city does not appear on the coin as struck (here off flan at the top)

8. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Here are three heads of the riders on this RR denarius of Albinus, (six heads if you count the horses).

next .... your favorite RR denarius...

aX7GJ6o78bgT93WmqSR2NP5iL4eB9x.jpg

9. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Sorry, Doug beat me to the punch!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

"Tiny" Anonymous Ae As Libral standard Crawford 35/1 Obv. Head of bearded Janus. Rv Prow of Galley right. 272.48 grms 61 mm Photo by W. Hansen 35-c.jpg Next coin Your favorite coin

Edessa, Ryro, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  11. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I don't know if I could put anything as my favorite, but this is definitely at the top of the list.

960-1300 CE (Circa) AV 1.16 Massa 'Sandalwood' 'Ma in Nagari script' 0.16g 5mm S3 Combined.png
    Srivijaya Empire of Sumatra
    c. 960-1300 CE
    AV 1/16 Massa (1/4 Kupang) | 0.16 grams | 5mm wide scyphate
    Obv: Sandalwood flower
    Rev: Sumatran style na in Nagari script
    Recovered from the Musi River in Palembang
    Next: Another favorite coin

Edessa, Ryro, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  12. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

My avatar coin, Nerva/Salus. He just looks so regal!
    Next, continue the theme. 1st.jpg

Edessa, Ryro, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

It's seldom enough that I get to have one (...one?) favorite, so here's a re-post:
    Aksum /Axum: Kaleb, earlier 6th century, 'tremissis.' (The gold series was originally calibrated very closely to Roman weights. ...That is, as of the later 3rd century, into the 4th. This late, couldn't tell you....) COINS, AKSUM, KALEB, AV.jpg

Edessa, DonnaML, Bing and 3 others like this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

...Well, except, where did the Cuirass thing go?

15. +VGO.DVCKS

On my one trip to Europe, as a kid, the family spent most of half a summer sponging off of relatives in the extreme west of Germany. (As in, Belgium was Over There.) My uncle drove us to a place nearby where there was a 3rd-c. (still very pre-Constantinian) stone relief of Mithra. ...I was under the impression that in the AE issues of Constantine, 'SOLI INVICTVS' was identified with him. Stop me before I lie again....

16. +VGO.DVCKS

Very, Very cool coin, @Alegandron. This whole thread is doing some Damage to my ignorance, especially the sheer geographic and cultural breadth of coins of the, ahem, 'Classical' era. Most of all starting from the Hellenistic period. To paraphrase Hunter Thompson, Good craziness.
    ...Except, surely you know (or your granddaughter can probably tell you) that slam-dancing is associated mostly with punk rock. ...A little like crowd-surfing is with its bastard child, grunge.

Alegandron likes this.
  17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

FYI, the operative request is supposed to be @dougsmit's request above, not @octavius's request, which came too late to go into effect. Can't anyone here follow the rules of the game?!

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Let's get back to Doug's request since I don't see a next theme posted with the last shown coin anyway.

With Mount Argaios shown on these, who needs the city name spelled out anyway?

Lucius Verus - AR Didrachm Mt Argaeus 2020new 1824.JPG
    LUCIUS VERUS
    AR Didrachm. 6.64g, 21.4mm. CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea-Eusebia, AD 161-166 (Cos 2). Metcalf 131d; RPC Online Vol. 4, #7030. O: AYTOKP OYHPOC CEBACTOC, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: YΠATOC B, Mt. Argaeus with two large rocks at its base, left rock decorated with a deer leaping left, right rock with a tree; in the middle, a round stippled rock (wreathed in flames or surrounded by water?); on summit, Helios standing left, holding globe and long sceptre.

On the other hand, when you don't have Mount Argaios depicted on the coin, and your city is one of the very many Caesareas around, maybe it's best to mention your famous mountain by name on the coin just to be on the safe side...

Antoninus Pius - Cappadocia Caesarea Tyche 00942q00.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Assarion. 4.71g, 19.9mm. CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea-Eusebia, RY 14 (AD 150/1). RPC IV.3 Online Temp 6708; Henseler 236a. O: AY ANTΩNЄINOC CЄBAC, laureate head right. R: KAICAPЄΩN T ΠΡ APΓAIΩ ("Caesarea at the Argaios") / ЄT ΔI, Turreted, veiled and draped bust of the city-goddess to right.

Next: Another Cappadocian provincial not showing that Mountain

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Some of Septimius' first (year 2) issues from Caesarea used Nike.
    pi0900bb1264.jpg

Next: a coin dared to year 2

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Year two:

[​IMG]
    Probus AD 276-282.
    Roman billon tetradrachm, 7.62 g, 20.2 mm, 11 h.
    Egypt, Alexandria, AD 276/7.
    Obv: A K M AVΡ ΠΡOBOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: LB, Dikaiosyne standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.
    Refs: BMC 2412; Geissen (Köln) 3127; Dattari (Savio) 5527; Milne 4521; Kampmann & Gunschow 112.7; SNG Cop 913; Emmett 3979.

Next: Somebody holding scales.

21. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Caracalla. AD 198-217. AR Denarius (3,48g). Rome mint. Struck AD 212-213.
    Obv-ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head right.
    Rev-MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopia.
    RIC IV 224; RSC 165. CARA.jpg

Next......Elephant in silver

octavius, +VGO.DVCKS, Edessa and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted