Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NUMIDIA

[​IMG]
    Numidia - Micipsi Left - 148-118 BCE Galloping Horse - thnner face

[​IMG]
    Numidia - Massinissa Left 203-148 BCE Leaping Horse - thicker face

Next: Danube Celts

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here's a Celtic tetradrachm of Noricum.

Obv. Male head left, three-line wreath
    Rev. Horse left,
    ca 1st century BC
    Wt./Size/Axis: 9.05g / 21mm / -
    References:
    • BMC 168-169
    • Gobl TKN 130
    Provenances:
    • Dr Miklos Hoka Collection
    Acquisition/Sale: Celtic Coins Online Store Liz's List 70 #6 22-Apr-2014
    [​IMG]

Next - another Celtic coin with a horse.

4. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Verica quarter stater
    upload_2020-9-15_1-43-0.jpeg
    Next a cornucopia

5. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Nabataean Kingdom. Aretas IV (Haritat), with Shaqilath..9BC-40AD AE unit Petra mint.
    Obverse..Jugate draped busts of Aretas and Shaqilath (wife) right symbol in front (S?)
    Reverse..Crossed cornucopias, Nabataean script (spelling Ruler and wifes names) in 3 lines, above, between and below the horns. Aretas name in Nabataean is 'Haritat' Spelt 'HRTT' and his wife 'Shaqilath' spelt 'SQYLT'
    20191005_1-NAB-ALL-ccfopt (1).jpg
    Next...... A fruit

6. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Pamphylia, Side. Ca. 460-430 B.C. AR Stater (18mm, 10.94g, 6h). Obv: Pomegranate. Rev: Helmeted head of Athena right within incuse square. Ref: Atlan 16 (O15/R14); SNG BN 1; Weber 7353 (same dies). Ex Triskeles.

Next, a Prow.

zbc.jpg

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

This coin includes a prow:

Roman Republic, C. Fonteius, AR Denarius, 114-113 BCE. Obv. Laureate, Janiform head of the Dioscuri, control mark N under left chin [mark of value * (= 16) under right chin is worn off], one dot beneath head / Rev. Galley left with three rowers, gubernator (pilot) at stern, rudder beneath stern, apotropaic eye on side, three-pronged ram with wolf’s head above extending from prow, banners/streamers extending from stern, C • FONT above (N and T in monogram), ROMA below. Crawford 290/1, RSC I Fonteia 1 (ill.), Sear RCV I 167 (ill.), Sydenham 555. 20 mm., 3.90 g. Ex: Auctiones GmbH, eAuction 67, Lot 55, 15 March 2020; Ex: CNG Auction May 2012, Lot 293; Ex: Bruce R. Brace Collection.

Fonteius (Dioscuri-Galley) jpg version.jpg

Next: Janiform head, whether of the Dioscuri or Janus himself.

Edited to add: this was intended to answer @Edessa's request, but it fits @Andres2's as well.

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

20200322_194733_IMG_4897.PNG
    Next up: a Greek Janiform

10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

11. Ryro

Might've showed it before but I've earned the right. Got it when my twins were born:
    20190326_140033_F47E0D07-CBA7-4B5E-AA2E-A22E48A4E84D-406-000000AF377E4A91.png
    Next up: more dolphins (that's plural)!
    Further edit: unless your coin is possibly the most adorable rendition of a dolphin I've ever seen, like @DonnaML . In which case, your next:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  12. DonnaML

This is one of my favorite dolphin coins; the rider is so joyful:

Roman Republic, L Lucretius Trio, AR Denarius, 76 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Neptune right, XXXIII above and trident behind/ Rev. Cupid (or Infant Genius) on dolphin right; L LVCRETIVS TRIO. Crawford 390/2, Sydenham 784, RSC I Lucretia, Sear RCV I 322 (ill.), Harlan, RRM I Ch. 16 at pp. 98-103, BMCRR Rome 3247. 19 mm., 3.9 g.

Lucretius Trio (boy on dolphin).jpg Next: another Cupid.

[Sorry, I guess mine doesn't qualify as an answer to @Ryro's request, and was a minute too late to answer the previous one.]

13. Ryro

Sorry, I doubt I've ever seen this coin before. Just give me a moment. Freaking Neptune! W/ trident!! That toning!!! And that FANTASTIC reverse
    giphy-3.gif
    Can I borrow it?...I mean just long enough for it to fall in love back.

+VGO.DVCKS, Spaniard, Edessa and 2 others like this.
  14. DonnaML

Once the pandemic's over, I'll be happy to show it to you if you're ever in New York City! Another thing I like about the reverse, which I didn't mention, is the contrast between Cupid's joyful expression, and the dolphin's very disgruntled expression, a contrast that's especially evident if you click on the image to enlarge it.

15. Ryro

The gleeful face draws us in to a clearly disgruntled dolphin! It's stunning and bittersweet!!
    Ps, I might just take you up on that offer once we start to come out of this nightmare.
    Speaking of nightmares, here's my dealing with this same troll a couple years ago.
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/am-i-losing-it.344457/#post-3649818

Don't waste your time, my sister from another mister. He/she, doesn't deserve it.

16. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

RR denarius of Egnatius c. 76 BC, Cupid/Libertas standing.

next , Libertas...

00151q00.jpg

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Libertas

[​IMG]
    RR Porcius Laeca 125 BCE AR Den Roma - Libertas in Quadriga holding pileus and rod crowned by Victory flying S 146 Cr 270-1

Next: Cross-X symbol on Denarius for 16 Asses

Edessa, Sulla80, +VGO.DVCKS and 10 others like this.
  18. DonnaML

Roman Republic, C. Servilius M.f., AR Denarius 136 BCE. Obv. Head of Roma right wearing winged helmet, wreath behind neck, ROMA beneath with * [XVI monogram] to left / Rev. Dioscuri on horseback galloping in opposite directions, heads turned back to face each other, both twins holding their spears downwards behind horses, C. SERVEILI M F in exergue. RSC I Servilia 1, Crawford 239/1, Sydenham 525, Sear RCV I 116 (ill.), BMCRR Italy 540. 19.35 mm., 3.89 g. [Sear says that this is the first Republican denarius with “ROMA” legend on obverse, and the second to use the monogram * for XVI .]

Servilius - Dioscuri denarius jpg version.jpg

Next: Dioscuri off their horses.

Edessa, Sulla80, +VGO.DVCKS and 10 others like this.
  19. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

I'm right there with @Ryro. For lack of a better word...

That coin is badass!

I've been on the hunt for a nice silver dolphin rider. Of course, the coinage from Calabria has been a primary focus. Something about the somewhat cartoonish snarled 'duck billed' dolphins speak to me. Now I have a new-to-me type to be on the lookout for.

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Maximus - Tomis - Dioscuri.jpg MAXIMUS
    AE29. 9.54g, 29.1mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Tomis, circa AD 235-238. Varbanov 5513 (R4). O: Γ IOYΛ OYHP MAΞIMOC KAIC ΓEP, barehead, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: MHTPO ΠONTOY TOMEΩC, Dioscuri reclining left, side by side, heads facing, right one holding patera, left one resting on rock; each with star above forehead; ∆ in left field.

Next: Deity reclining

Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS, octavius and 9 others like this.
  21. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    PISIDIA, Antiochia. Severus Alexander. AD 222-235. Æ
    O: Laureate head right
    R: River god Anthius reclining left, holding cornucopia and resting elbow upon overturned urn from which liquid flows; reed to right

Krzyźanowska tab. 25, I/5 (same dies)

NEXT: A river god from a different Antioch(other than Pisidia)

Edessa, Sulla80, +VGO.DVCKS and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted