Featured Follow the coin theme GAME - ancient edition - post ‘em if you got ‘em

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

I'm wanting to do a proper write-up on this coin, but having been busy recently, I haven't the time yet. Some sourced references are copied below.

Aria5.png
    KINGS of CAPPADOCIA. Ariarathes I. 333-322 BC. AR Drachm. Gaziura mint.
    O: Baal of Gaziura seated left, torso facing, holding grapes, grain ear, and eagle in extended right hand, lotus-tipped scepter in left; B’L GZYR (in Aramaic) to right
    R: Griffin left attacking stag kneeling left

Ariarathes I minted campaign coinage at Gaziura inscribed with legends in Aramaic, the imperial language of the Achaemenids. On the reverse of one of Ariarathes's Gaziura coins, a griffin is depicted attacking a kneeling stag with Ariarathes's name is inscribed as 'rywrt. The obverse of the same coin depicts a Zeus-like impression of the God Baal with wreath and sceptre in his left hand. In his right hand, on which an eagle is perched, the seated figure holds ears of corn and a vine-branch with grapes. The obverse features the inscription b'lgzyr ("Ba'al Gazir", i.e. "Lord of Gaziura"). Stylistically, this particular issue of coinage by Ariarathes resembles the coins issued by Achaemenid satrap Mazaeus at Tarsos in Cilicia. The Iranologist Mary Boyce and the historian Frantz Grenet note that the Zeus-like depiction of a seated Baal could actually be portraying the Zoroastrian Ahura Mazda or Mithra.

The Kingdom of Cappadocia was a Hellenistic-era kingdom centered in the historical region of Cappadocia in Asia Minor (present-day Turkey). It developed from the former Achaemenid satrapy of Cappadocia, and it was founded by its last satrap, Ariarathes (later Ariarathes I). Throughout its history, it was ruled by three families in succession; the House of Ariarathes (331-96 BC), the House of Ariobarzanes (96 BC-36 BC), and lastly that of Archelaus (38 BC-17 AD)[contradictory]. In 17 AD, following the death of Archelaus, during the reign of Roman emperor Tiberius (14-37), the kingdom was incorporated as a Roman province.

Origins and history

Ariarathes I had been satrap of Cappadocia for 19 years and a loyal supporter of the Achaemenid kings. By blood, he was related to the ruling Achaemenid house ("Cyrus and Darius' Seven") as well as other satraps. When Alexander of Macedon invaded the area as part of his conquest, he appointed two temporary governors. Following Alexander's death, Ariarathes I managed to assume power in Cappadocia, and become the first king of the newly established Kingdom of Cappadocia. Ariarathes's line would provide the first ten kings of the kingdom. After a period of Seleucid overlordship, the Cappadocian Kingdom gained its independence during the reign of Ariarathes III (c. 255-220). The Ariarathid dynasty was abolished by the early course of the 1st century BC by the ruler of the Kingdom of Pontus, the infamous Mithridates VI (Eupator), this in an attempt to fully subdue the Cappadocian Kingdom. However, in "conflict" with the interests of the Roman Republic, the latter supported the Cappadocians to choose a new king; this came to be another Iranian nobleman, namely, Ariobarzanes I. Following the civil war in Rome, the latter would now interfere more directly in Cappadocian affairs; in 36 BC, Marcus Antonius appointed Archelaus, a local noble, to the Cappadocian throne. When, at an old age, Tiberius summoned him to Rome, he died there of natural causes; Cappadocia was subsequently incorporated as a fully functioning Roman province. Due to the kingdom's perilous location amongst powerful neighbors, the kings were often involved in beneficial marriage alliances, such as with the Mithridatic dynasty as well as the Seleucid dynasty.

NEXT: A coin featuring one of Ariarathes I progeny

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Ariarathes I had no known children, however, I will stretch "progeny" to include adopted nephew and fast forward ~225 years...Ariarathes II was the nephew and adopted son of Ariarathes I, who begat Ariaramens, who begat Ariarathes III, who begat Ariarathes IV, who begat Ariarathes V, who begat Ariarathes VI who begat the king on this coin who began his reign under the regency of his mother Laodice, the eldest sister to King Mithridates VI of Pontus (which may explain why he was Philometor). It seems Cappadocian Kings were not very creative with naming. Mithridates had his nephew killed and replaced with his own son, whom he imaginatively named Ariarathes IX...much more to the story...
    Ariarathes IX cappadocia.jpg
    Kings of Cappadocia, Ariarathes VII Philometor (mother loving), circa 112/110-100 BC., AR drachm, year 1 = 111 (?)
    Obv: Diademed head of Ariarathes VII to right
    Rev: BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ / APIAPAΘOY / ΦΙΛOMHTOPOΣ , Athena standing left, holding Nike on her extended right hand and spear and shield with her left; inner left, ΓΛI; in exergue, [A] (?)

Next: a coin of Cappadocia

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Septimius Severus 17.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: AY Λ CЄΠ CЄOYHPOC, laureate head right
    REVERSE: MHTPOΠO KAICAPIAC, Mt. Argaeus surmounted by star, ETЄ in ex
    Struck at Cappadocia, Caesarea, Year 5=A.D. 196/7
    2.58 g, 17mm
    Sydenham 395

Next: Mt Argaeus

Sulla80, DonnaML, TuckHard and 4 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Roman Provincial (Caesarea): bronze Æ28 of Severus Alexander, ca. 222-235 AD; Mount Argaeus
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: head of Severus Alexander right.
    Reverse: model of Mt. Argaeus on table.

Æ, 28 mm of Caesarea in Anatolia in Turkey (now the modern city of Kayseri). A somewhat bigger provincial bronze. Ex-David Connors, May 2020.

Next: another large provincial Æ bigger than 28 mm.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

COMMAGENE, Zeugma.

Philip I the Arab. 247-249 AD.

Æ31, 19.2g; 6h

Obv.: AYTOK K M IOYΛI ФIΛIΠΠOC CЄB; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.

Rev.: ZЄYGM-ATЄΩN; Peribolos containing grove of trees, seen in perspective; tetrastyle temple in distance, draped figure within (Zeus?); in exergue, capricorn to right.

Reference: Butcher 31c; BMC 35.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another coin with "perspective" architecture.

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I probably should mention (if you like the coin above) that @John Anthony has a similar coin for sale in today's auction...see below...but it is Phillip II..which closes tonight at 9pm eastern. If interested I imagine you could PM him. Opening bid price of $115.

[​IMG]

COMMAGENE, ZEUGMA.
    Philip II, AD 244-249.
    AE30, 15.2g, 12h.
    Obv.: AVTOK K M IOVΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CEB; Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right, countermark of eagle standing right within circular incuse.
    Rev.: ZEVΓMATEΩN; Tetrastyle temple of Zeus with peribolos containing grove of trees, Capricorn to right in exergue.
    Reference: SNG Cop 35; c/m Howgego 340.

8. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Umayyad Caliphate, AR Dirham, 715 AD.
    Next theme- Post any pre-Islamic, native coins of the Arabian peninsula.

Attached Files:

TuckHard likes this.
  9. Sulla80

Himyarite Kingdom "quinarii".

"The Ḥimyarite Kingdom maintained nominal control in Arabia until 525. Its economy was based on agriculture, and foreign trade centered on the export of frankincense and myrrh. For many years, the kingdom was also the major intermediary linking East Africa and the Mediterranean world."
    -Wikipedia, Himyarite Kingdom

Himyarite Kingdom Pile.jpg

Next: a coin you have more than one of

10. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

How about 53 of the same type of coin? 50 differing issues of the Athens NewStyle and 3 imitations?
    Or did you mean exactly the same type and issue?
    I have a few more since I took this group shot.

[​IMG]

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do we need a rule that posts that do not include a Next: are to be taken as decoration rather than entries so the next person who fills that requirement and does give the Next: is the one we are to follow? It seems we have to request "What's next?" more and more lately.

Pellinore, octavius, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  12. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I think that's fair. I'll continue with more than one of, I have probably at least 10 of these Kai Yuan Tong Bao coins from the Tang Dynasty of China but this one has a bit of a unique patina on it so it is probably my favorite despite the poor qualities.

732-907 CE AE Cash Late Type H#14.8 'Kai Yuan Tong Bao' 'Plain' 3.49g 23.5mm S1 Combined.png
    Tang Dynasty of China
    732-907 CE
    AE Cash | 3.49g | 23.5 mm
    Obv: Kai Yuan Tong Bao in Late Type calligraphy
    Rev: Plain
    Ref: Hartill#14.8

Next: NewStyleKing's call

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    octavius, Sulla80, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  13. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

I agree with Doug.

Pellinore, Sulla80 and DonnaML like this.
  14. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Pardon me. Thank you sirs, please can I have another!

15. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

Sure! Whatever you call it.

16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

200-4.gif

I have more than one ATG drachm:
    20190326_172046_72EF65AD-D5FE-4FB8-81C8-DBB1D96E5747-406-000000E68841B28B.png 20190326_172013_315CB2EE-A627-4006-B439-A13B9FF92629-406-000000E65839A9C2.png 20190326_171911_89496EF4-6CAB-4032-AE6F-1DDBC9F7341B-406-000000E60048D9A1.png

Next up: your favorite ATG drachm.

Johndakerftw, TuckHard, Bing and 4 others like this.
  17. Sulla80

Alexander the Great.jpg
    Kings of Macedon, Philip III Arrhidaios, 323-317 BC, AR drachm, Kolophon. In the name and types of Alexander III "The Great", Kolophon mint, struck under Menander or Kleitos, circa 322-319 BC.
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin.
    Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left on throne, holding eagle and sceptre. Controls: Grain ear in left field, spearhead to outer right.
    Ref: Price 1750

Next: an Alexander III drachm or tetradrachm

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  18. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

[​IMG]
    Greek, Kings of Macedon
    Alexander III “The Great”, 336-323 BC
    AR Drachm, Ca. 310-301 BC, Kolophon mint

Obverse: Head of Heracles right, wearing lion’s skin headdress.
    Reverse: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Zeus seated left, holding eagle in right hand, scepter in left; crescent before, N below throne.
    References: Price 1798, Müller 271
    Size: 16mm, 4.13g

Next: Another Zeus seated

19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]
    Cleopatra Thea, Queen of Syria, with son Antiochus VIII.
    AR tetradrachm; 15.85 gm, 27 mm.
    Antioch mint, 125-121 BC.
    Obv: Jugate busts, right.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, Zeus Nikephoros seated l., holding lotus-tipped scepter; IE outer left, A under throne.
    Refs: SNG Spaer 2437; c.f. Sear 7135.
    Notes: Ex-Henry Clay Lindgren.

Next: Scepter tipped with an ornament of some kind.

Johndakerftw, TuckHard, Bing and 5 others like this.
  20. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Scepter tipped with a thyrsus. Rough, but the only one of its kind.

upload_2020-8-14_23-1-37.png

Ex Gorny & Mosch 170 (13 Oct 2008), Lot #1623. Now encapsulated by NGC: #4629563-006 and graded as Strike: 4/5; Surface: 2/5, "Ch VF smoothing."

Next: Another thyrsus

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Johndakerftw, TuckHard, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  21. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

philadelphia.jpg Lydia, Philadelphia. AE14. Dionysos/Thyrsus 1st century BC. AE14. Wreathed head of young Dionysos right / ΦΙΛΑΔΕΛ-ΦΕΩΝ , thyrsos. VF. SNG Cop. 341, BMC 17

Next: A coin from Lydia.

Draft saved Draft deleted