Follis of Leo VI "The Wise"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Oct 26, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Leo VI was emperor of the Byzantine Empire from 886-912, and evidently quite the scholar. His works include large legal treatises, political orations, liturgical poems, and theological papers. I've ordered a translation of the Taktika, a treatise on military operations (for a little light, bedtime reading.)

This coin has somewhat rustic surfaces ("rough" is such a negative word, don't you think?), but the detail and patina are quite attractive for a budget example. I seem to be in a Byzantine/Medieval mood these days, but I keep coming across coins that are hard to pass up...

leo follis k.jpg

Byzantine Empire, Leo VI, AD 886-912 AE follis, 7.1g, 26mm, 6h; Constantinople mint.
    Obv.: +LEON bASILEVS ROM; crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys, holding akakia.
    Rev.: +LEON / EN QEO bA / SILEVS R / OMEON
    Reference: SB 1729.

Not being well-versed in matters Byzantine, I had no idea what an akakia was...

"The akakia (Greek: ἀκακία, literally "guilelessness") was a cylindrical purple silk roll containing dust, held by the Byzantine emperors during ceremonies, and symbolizing the mortal nature of all men. It possibly developed from the mappa, the cloth used by the Roman consuls to start the races at the hippodrome." - Wikipedia

Perhaps we should all carry one around to encourage guilelessness? I wonder if the akakia has any relationship to the Christian tradition (in certain denominations) of Ash Wednesday.

Alegandron, Jwt708, GregH and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Great coin. When did Christ first show up on Byzantine coins?

4. John Anthony

I don't know - I'm only beginning to research Byzantine. But that's the emperor on that coin, not Christ.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a byzantine classic!

[​IMG]

i don't know what the first coins to show Christ were, mine are anonymous folles or scyphates...they hit about the same time.

Alegandron, Jwt708, Eng and 6 others like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Christ first appeared under Justinian II 685-695 AD but I do not have that one.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1444441
    My earliest is this Basil I and Constantine fourree 200 years later. Most of that gap is due to the movement known as Iconoclasm that held it inappropriate to do images of God.
    rz0430bb0431.jpg

For the record, this is my Leo VI. Perhaps his akakia leaked and explains the soil patina? How's that for guilelessness?
    rz0440bb0696.jpg

7. John Anthony

lol :D

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Someone may want to do full research on this one but I doubt many of us can appreciate just how big a deal putting Christ on the coins was in that day. In addition to upsetting the Iconoclast Christians it made the coinage untouchable by Muslims who had previously even struck coins copying Byzantine originals. Leo III forbade images of Christ which upset the regular Catholic Byzantines who loved their icons. This is the kind of dispute that people die for on both sides.

Justinian II had two reigns. At his first deposition, his nose and tongue were slit supposedly rendering him unacceptable for rule. He came back and had a reign of terror killing everyone who supported those who replaced him. The second time he we deposed, he was executed.

chrsmat71, Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That's a very wise pickup, JA => well done!!

Oh and yah, I have an example as well (a very different colour than Doug's and the rest of the wise coins shown in this thread)

Leo VI the Wise.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    chrsmat71, Alegandron, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Four Wise Coins :D

SB 1728. Leo, crowned and wearing loros, seated facing on lyre-backed throne, holding labarum and akakia (and know I know what an akakia is :))
    [​IMG]

SB 1729. Crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys, holding akakia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SB 1730. Leo on left and Alexander on right, both facing, crowned, and wearing loros, seated facing on double throne, holding labarum between them.
    [​IMG]

zumbly, chrsmat71, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  11. John Anthony

Great coins everyone! Thanks for posting.

12. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Nice, this one is on it's way to me right now
    [​IMG]

13. John Anthony

There's no arguing with smooth surfaces, but these rugged coins, some with sandy deposits, have a certain irresistible appeal as well.

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins all!

15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Kind of a wise guy..:)

bb8LJ2Kj7Hg2z5Szm33Ca6Nr4aqWqr_opt.jpg

zumbly, chrsmat71, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  16. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Those are all lovely coins, indeed! Here are some of my coins, so that I can join on the fun:

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1728; DOC 5)

Obv: Leo VI, with short beard, seated facing on lyre-backed throne, wearing modified loros and crown with cross. In right hand, labarum, left resets on lap; +LЄOҺЬA S ILЄVSR OM' ✶ around
    Rev: +LЄOҺ / ЄҺΘЄOЬA / SILЄVSR / OMЄOҺ in four lines

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1729)

Obv.: +LEON bASILEVS ROM; crowned bust facing with short beard, wearing chlamys, holding akakia.
    Rev.: +LEON / EN QEO bA / SILEVS R / OMEON

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1730)

Obv: Leo VI and Alexander, each crowned and wearing loros, seated facing on double throne, holding labarum between them. Legend around - + LEOn S ALEXAnGROS.
    Rev: Legend in four lines - + LEOn S ALEXAnGROS bASIL' ROmEOn

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo VI the Wise (886-912) Æ Follis, Cherson (Sear-1731; DOC 9)

Obv: Large ΛЄ
    Rev: Cross crosslet set on two steps; • to either side

[​IMG]

chrsmat71, Orfew, Eng and 7 others like this.
  17. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Very cool coins people. I'll get some Byzantines eventually!

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's what I keep telling myself too! :D

19. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

It's a quick-win. Impressive-looking big folles with nice sandy patinas are quite affordable. The trouble is, once I start a Byzantine collection, i'll want every ruler.

stevex6 likes this.
  20. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I can relate to that logic!

21. John Anthony

Beautiful. Is this more or less a complete type set of Leo's, leaving out minor varieties? I know there aren't too many types. (The Cherson mint coin is one of the nicest I've seen.)

Draft saved Draft deleted