Folded misprinted $20 bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Brandyleanna, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's difficult to bleach that area and make it look like it has not been tampered with. I think it's real. Professionals who examine it close at hand could probably see if it was real or fake. It looks real to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

That's only true for the 1996 $100, not the other denominations.

The sheet wasn't folded by the time the selvage was trimmed off. It's not too unusual for a fold like this to unfold itself as the sheet moves on through the printing process.

There's more than one printing step. The back intaglio print and face intaglio print proceeded normally. But then when the serials and seals were being added, the corner of the sheet got folded over.

Notice that there are two not-quite-parallel diagonal creases where the corner was folded down. I suspect the fold shifted a little bit in between the green overprint (serial number) and the black overprint (Fed seal)--the two are printed on the same pass through the press, but by separate inked drums a few feet apart. You'd have to fold the note along one of the creases to get the seal correctly aligned, but along the other crease to get the serial number correctly aligned.

Obviously nobody can authenticate anything based on images on the internet, and it's always possible that somebody's been fooling around with this note, but I don't see any clear signs of a fake here. If the OP plans to sell the note (especially on Ebay or anywhere like that), having it authenticated and certified first would be a good idea, as it won't fetch a very good price if half the potential buyers have doubts about whether it's real.

Draft saved Draft deleted