Flying Eagle / Indian Cents in old Album Pages

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by canudigit, Mar 6, 2020.

1. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm thinking if PCGS got wind that NGC was going to be grading "UDW"'s (that's "Uncle Daddy Warbucks" to the layman) brilliant IHC collection, they just may try to reach out to Canudigit's acquaintance, to see if they could claim grading rights. Who knows, they may even pony up a little loot to help keep NGC in their place.......which is 2nd place as far as the good folks over at PCGS are concerned. You have a little more work to do, Canudigit.

canudigit likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

Thanks everyone for the continued interest, and some more ideas, possibilities, and some super links! Just awesome since I need all the info. I can get. Working my spare time like a madwoman trying to ascertain at least a rough grade/valuation at the owners request. I fear I'm being overly anal with that task - but one does not want to over-grade or misinterpret value. I have been comparing High Res. photos and realized auction results all over the cyber map - daunting task, and I'm trying to be very conservative. Better to somewhat low ball now - and hopefully be pleasantly surprised later! I can certainly see how specific grading services and extra appointments allotted boost interest and value. Also, I really like the suggestion of perhaps some sort of agreement with HE or SB - thanks for that thought. After all... there is only ONE Uncle Daddy Warbucks collection! It would be great hype for them I would think! Still on the still cold trail of the true identity of UDW - a disgruntled great nephew of Warbucks who's father did not inherit any treasure has not replied to the many message attempts...ancestry.com is looking good at this point.

Question: are investigating all these SNOW varieties worth my time? Thanks for your thoughts on that - curious on how heavy collectors view these subtleties and how these variety nuances really affect appeal and vaue.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Some of the varieties bring a strong premium but it will eat up a lot of your time trying to figure out each coin. It's not an easy task. I would contact Rick and see if he could guide you in the best direction.

5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

To put it simply to do it right it's going to take a long drawn out process.

6. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

@canudigit As I said day 1 you may blow up this site! As I can't remember a new issue pulling 7 pages of chat! Some glad not to be in your /owner's shoe's but thank-you so very much for asking/sharing!!!!

7. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I'm a little late to this party. What an awesome collection! Good luck on getting everything checked out!

8. White Ger. Shep. Lover

Indeed David. If Canudigit kindly keeps updating us with the latest happenings with the Uncle Daddy Warbucks IHC bounty, one could see this thread rivaling "War and Peace" in length before it's last post has been penned. Who knows, there may even be a book and subsequent movie in all of this. A Corona-free Tom Hanks as Uncle Daddy Warbucks? Megan Fox as Canudigit? Rick Snow as.....Rick Snow? The possibilities excite.

David Betts likes this.
  9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party, but wow! Very nice coins! Can't wait to see the outcome.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I had wondered if ole Hawk eye saw this thread. @Paddy54

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. David Betts

Canudigit@ LOL I just read your ancestry.com comment thought I 'd share a comment not finding any Ky links to Morris except H.V. Morris of Chronicle Publishing. But all of my family did 23 and me and we did find second cousins in Eakey , Ireland that I met last year while depositing my kid brothers ashes with grand parents. But more to our surprise I got notices of the # 2 DEA cop in Maine being a 1st cousin? We all thought how can that be got a mother and a Aunt knew all they're kids then Uncle Charlie / Humm? the old dog had a affair! Tell your friend she may find out more than she expects ! lol

Eric Babula likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Wow no I had not seen this thread......unbelievable

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

GC has a raw coin service for material like that. That way no grading fees upfront.

A friend flipped a collection he acquired in that manner.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Killer group again. I still think you should send off to pcgs. Unfortunately with all the shows being canceled for now I would wait until all this paranoia of the Coronavirus dies down. I would be very tempted to bring the collection intact to the pcgs booth and see what they said. Or show to Rick Snow too first. I think this lot is far better viewed in hand and perhaps some of the coins may need minor conservation but as a collection it’s incredibly impressive

TypeCoin971793, NSP and canudigit like this.
  15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't think Great Collections photos allow adequate magnification for getting appropriate money for the client. In my opinion, the money to be saved in grading fees pales compared to the money that may be left on the table using GC.

16. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

LOL on the ancestry thing Dave!! Thanks everyone for the new comments of praise and also suggestions. Some down time is now needed to ponder the options and finish cataloging these and the rest of the Uncle Daddy Warbucks booty. For now they are quarantined! Best I think to let an expert view them through an in person evaluation meeting- as is - intact in these original album pages. The owner does not want to mail them anywhere, and I agree. I will keep all you kind people updated on any findings of any elaborated provenance - or when the time comes, when and where they will be for sale or show. We would like to discover what may have been included in the other 2 portions of the UDWC that originally went to the other 2 nephews. I can only hope to find out more. Meanwhile my deepest gratitude for the generosity of your time and knowledge - this has been an immensely helpful and rewarding experience!

17. David Betts

thanks and I would also keep them in house and have a sit down we can't wait to see where "Uncle Daddy's Warbuck's Morris's " go from here and trust me I'll be attuned as many other's and a little sad when we see them in a auction album but it is what is an you deserve big accolades for taking the time for all involved! Thank-You Digit Warbuck!

18. David Betts

FYI you got me digging found 3 more 1878 Flying eagle's to go with the 6 pics I sent but darn if there's a 1876 or 1908/9 s in there! I must have had the budget Warbuck!

19. White Ger. Shep. Lover

I want one of those Uncle Daddy Warbucks IHC's more than life itself! Just one will do. I'm no hog like those toilet paper hoarding mongrels who are presently traipsing amongst us. Just one. I'll be bidding on one of them and may God be my judge I'll get one. Peace.

David Betts likes this.
  20. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

Hello to all you fine folks on this fantastic forum. Uncle Daddy Warbucks rises again! So sorry for such a long stretch from my last post ages ago, but nothing new to report until now. U.D.Warbucks has been hiding in a bank vault since you heard from me last. Finally this enormous estate is settled and most everything is liquidated except this amazing still intact collection. Intact, but not for long I should say. Many of you advised correctly that for maximum Warbucks (LOL) these should be separated and slabbed/graded, and so they will soon be. The actual auction will take place this fall. After consultations with top auction houses one has been chosen just last week to handle this collection. There was discussion on pre-sale press showing them as found intact in the old Wayte Raymond album pages with a backstory -which would be so nice IMHO. I still have a great fondness for them so intact and undisturbed all together for 70 some odd years. But the almighty mighty dollar doesn't agree with sentiment! These coins will be notated as from the Uncle Daddy Warbucks Collection - which the auction house loved! We were finally able to pinpoint the identity of this Great Uncle coin collector and are still working on some family history particulars. As per the heir/owner wishes I am allowed to say no more at this time. I will keep you all updated with further information as allowed if this is still of any interest - so do reply and I'll do my best. Meanwhile I would like to thank you all tremendously for your past guidance and enthusiasm.

21. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

It is definitely still of interest!

David Betts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted