Flying Eagle / Indian Cents in old Album Pages

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by canudigit, Mar 6, 2020.

1. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I may be thinking a bit out of the box here, but how about taking these coins out on tour prior to their sale? I know that I would drive a few hundred miles to see this brilliant collection in person. They would be the headliner for any and every big coin show. You could easily charge $5-$10 for people to have their picture taken with their favorite *CIHC. I might even fork over a cool 20 spot for the privilege. I would probably open the show with a nice speech ( Sam Elliott or Morgan Freeman preferably) about Uncle Daddy Warbucks and how he came to amassing his majestic collection. As far as the show's ending, definitely extinguish the lights, so everybody can show their approval by flicking on their lighters in a bid for an encore glimpse of that spectacular '09-S once again. And it should go without saying that this type of event should not rekindle thoughts or notions of passing marijuana cigarettes throughout the crowd like it were a Led Zeppelin concert from back in the day. Yes, it is now legal in certain States, but massive amounts of pot smoke could potentially seep into the collection and .........I was going to say that the coins could be damaged, but on second thought, has anyone ever experimented with marijuana as a toning trigger with copper? I'm thinking if done correctly, it could result in some wonderful natural looking toning brilliance. It's not legal here in Wisconsin , but it now is a stone's throw from here in Illinois. Guess where I'm motoring off to tomorrow?

David Betts and frankjg like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. White Ger. Shep. Lover

* Oh, how about a motion declaring these coins from this collection now being designated by the letters "CIHC" for "Canudigit's Indian Head Cents"?

canudigit likes this.
  4. EdGs

EdGs Member

All I can say is, WOW!!! What an awesome collection! DEFINATELY secure that collection, and has been advised here, contact reputable people who have been previously recommended.

I think I shorted out my keyboard drooling on it.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There are just so many bad ideas here...

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have a full tank of gas before you get here.

7. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Each coin will need to be taken out, analyzed individually, and submitted to PCGS for grading if justifies expense.

Before that make an inventory by date and grade. Then cost it out using Bluebook. Next add it up get bottom line total. Jimmy in coin club did this with a Barber qtr set (not complete some dates missing). For coins which were Unc he costed them out at MS60. Some those appeared low end MS or possibly cleaned, toning dark areas, major marks, spots.

He then made an offer to the seller which was accepted factoring in grading cost and other factors. Many were not worth slabbing but the ones which were he did well at FUN and Long Beach shows. The others went in his collector coin binder pages (full of 2x2’s) for shows. Many of them did well too. Over some burgers and beer at FUN he said the project overall went well. A couple came back details he just blew them out on the bay starting at 99c.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    canudigit likes this.
  8. White Ger. Shep. Lover

Do ya think??? Just having a little fun, TypeCoin.

These coins are so amazing that I would love to see their associated provenance. I bet there is a great story behind this great collection. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that this particular IHC collection's genesis dates back to the late 19th century. It was probably handed down two or three times within the family. In an odd sort of way, it's kind of sad that after 100+ years together, this tight knit family of coins are most likely going to be split up and headed in a myriad of different geographical directions.

9. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

canudigit@FYI was just reading the new Morgan 6th release book and stumbled onto a interesting fact pertinent to this wonderful collection.
    Wayte Raymond folders were launched in fall 1934. So these coins were cataloged in present folder sometime there after! Just more info on Uncle Daddy Warbucks collection.

10. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

Well..I don't know what came over me, but last night while indulging in a nice big bowl of Blue Dream I ripped open the album with my teeth and proceeded to smoke-tone these babies. All the profiles on the IHs turned in to Robert Plant!! If you try this at home just FYI, after a coupe hours the Indians are back...PHEW!

On the RW album history - thanks Dave, yes I did that research so obviously these cent were transferred to present albums sometime after 1934. Starting to narrow down little facts on Uncle Daddy Warbucks - last name of Morris from Louisville KY. If any collectors from KY recognize that name I'd like to hear from you. This portion of his collection given to present owners father somewhere between 1950-60. There could possibly be some written documentation or record among the mountains of paper files from estate. My friend (owner) also has been trying to reach out to long lost relatives with little success thus far.

Today I will be spending the day with the owner photo documenting and recording details of each coin. I have already found some (important?) varieties on some dates. The notations you see in pencil - other than the original PR notations - are notations by me. 'Pointed Bust' - shallow N - and so on. I have found that 1858 SL PR is 'Low Leaves -type lll'. The mystery grows in my mind due to the lack of these type notations by U.D. Warbucks? Are these varieties not important to document?? Anyway - a tight personal documentation is the first step - before these coins go anywhere. I have been given a reprieve on permanently returns this collection to the owner until I have had time to examine each example most thoroughly. I'm VERY happy about that! Thanks so much for your continued interest all!

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

An FYI, these variety attributions weren't available to the original collector. They are a recent addition to the collecting world. To most your attribution doesn't mean much, what does is the TPG's agreeing that it is a certain vaariety.

By the way, I would love to be in your shoes, that is an awesome collection of early small cents.
    Thanks for sharing them with CT.

12. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Wow, would love to come across a find of this caliber. Whoever gets their hands on these beauties will be plenty pleased I imagine.

canudigit likes this.
  13. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

In my opinion you should contact PCGS because grading is the issue and they can auction the coins off for you if you want them to. That way there will be no question as to what they are worth. You never know what a coin is worth until it is sold. The collection is awesome I am glad that I clicked on this one.
    Thanks for showing them !!!

canudigit likes this.
  14. FarmerBill

FarmerBill Member

What a find! I've only been here a month or so and after seeing a couple dozen cents that were either ran over by cars or drug out of the drier I was about to throw in the towel. This is the kind of stuff that excites me. Please keep this thread updated. I think you have got some good advice here. How many DMs have you had offering to take those off your hands for $500 or so? Ignore all those people. I think the owner is lucky to have you on board helping her. Proceed cautiously. Can't wait to hear how this all works out.

canudigit likes this.
  15. David Betts

lol $500 wouldn't pay for grading on a 75-100 k collection but canudigit has the info and foresight to protect the owner and hopefully intact!

16. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

17. Incharge

Incharge Active Member

A treasure rarely ever seen, a vast collection , they look to be in a high grade... the coin's need to be graded to get the best value for the coins..

canudigit likes this.
  18. White Ger. Shep. Lover

Indeed David. I wonder if either of the two big boys would grade an epic IHC collection such as this gratis? What company wouldn't want their name emblazoned on gems such as these? I have a feeling that the shrewd Uncle Daddy Warbucks would definitely send letters off to both PCGS and NGC, to see which company had the greater desire to get close and personal with these beauties, if he were with us today.

canudigit and David Betts like this.
  19. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

That's for sure worth a new chapter for the lovely book of Mr.Bowers....."Lost and Found Coin Hoards and Treasures".
    This is really amazing .....;)

20. David Betts

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I wonder. Earlier in teh thread I mentioned the possibility of these being "collection coins" aka the grading company puts "Ex- --- Collection" or something on the labels.

Draft saved Draft deleted