Flying Eagle / Indian Cents in old Album Pages

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by canudigit, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@canudigit from reading your posts, it sounds like you are being diligent and working for the best of your friend. Because this collection would be considered significant, I would keep it together, as is, and have professionals evaluate and suggest the best avenue to take, and record everything in great detail. This story is certainly worthy of being published in a trade magazine. I also hope you will be compensated for your work as it is a great responsibility you've been given. Please keep us all apprised of your progress. History in the making? Maybe.

canudigit and Hoky77 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

I'm sure that I am not the only one around here bandying financial guesstimates around in their mind, as to what Canudigit's acquaintance is going to end up realizing from this wonderful IHC collection? Indeed a most difficult task at this juncture, but the figure 270K keeps springing forth. Am I in the ballpark?

canudigit likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Which one? There are 3 of us! :hilarious:
    Capture+_2020-03-08-07-22-14.png

Nice set if coins. Hopefully we can all find out in the future the results of a submission to a TPG!

TypeCoin971793 and David Betts like this.
  5. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

Mountain Man - thank you for your words of wisdom, and I agree that initial evaluation by a qualified professional would seem essential before making any final decisions. Who and where is the big question.

Hey White Ger. Shep. Lover - man I hope you are in the ballpark with that number!

I had a brief meeting with the owner last night and let her read all posted here. She does understand (now) the significance of this collection as an unbroken whole as opposed to piecing out for maximum gain. A tough decision for her as a non collector, but is someone who also does posses a great respect for things of historical significance. She did seem interested in perhaps initially contacting Mr. Snow - or someone closer to NY of his caliber - for a consultation. I agree that this may be the best way to start. After all, we all know one needs to be fully educated on all the options and the protocol involved thereof. Everyone here has been very helpful with options and opinions that will lead to a best route decision. She would like to thank you all!

I have not forgotten that some of you requested better individual photos! I did pick up my camera yesterday and will post shots as time allows as I am still working at an away job that prevents this project from my full attention. I 'escaped' briefly yesterday to meet with owner and pick up some other coins she found in the house. Unfortunately this box of indian heads has absolutely NO winners, but found 2 tiny cali fractionals hiding among the bunch. We deduce that these were originally owned by another family member, and not the great uncle of note here. I have never seen these tiny coins in person -cool! Here's a shot I took: DSC04138.JPG DSC04136.JPG

6. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

I had time to try and take one shot of the 1856 - here you will see the problem with trying to capture a great shot as the album windows are reflective - scratched - dusty. I will see if I can improve on this as time allows. DSC04142.JPG

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

Quick shots of the 1857 / 1858-LL / 1858-SL Proof. I hope these shots are ok. All the time I have for the moment, but will honor any specific date or reverse requests as my time allows. Opinions / input eagerly welcomed! DSC04163.JPG DSC04162.JPG DSC04161.JPG DSC04158.JPG

8. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Nice sharing and appears your both headed in a good direction for this marvelous collection. Was going to mention yesterday that while your getting your head around these. You said silver /gold coins weren't to the penny sets standards>
    I thought good time to kick the tires and familiarize with them handling, personal grading etc. With no Numismatic values gold coins are still at Friday close $1670 or Liberty $80, qtr. eagle $200, 1/2 eagle $400, Eagle $800 and doubles at 1 full oz. $1650 in smelt value. Being myself though I can always achieve Numismatic value in any gold coin because I cannot afford the EU/MS state.
    Lastly can I get 3- phot0 request at your leisure? 1862 Indian and the 08/09 s?
    Thanks Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Judging from that, it’s in the F ballpark. Without seeing the tail, F12. Some tail feathers visible, I could see F15.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What a collection overall!

11. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

One of the best collections that have been seen here in a long time.
    Congrats!!!

12. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I am in awe.

13. Tonkawa Bill

Tonkawa Bill Member

. . . I N D E E D

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Fantastic collection. If the Indian Cents are like this, I imagine some of the other coins are pretty stunning, as well. Heed the "slide marks" warning. If you post approximately where you are, you will probably get good advice for a dealer that can help you evaluate the coins for grading. If you are able to go to a major show, I would recommend getting advice from Rick Snow.

Before your friend tries to sell them, make sure he has title to them, and they're not part of an unsettled estate, or things could become complicated. For taxes, they should have a stepped up cost basis to the value at time of death, so there shouldn't be much of a nasty surprise here.

15. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Would acetone dissolve the plastic and soften the cardboard to make removal easier?

16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Acetone would soften the plastic into goo and make a horrible mess that will be difficult and costly to fix. Do not do this.

Mainebill, NSP, buckeye73 and 5 others like this.
  17. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Cool, wasn't sure, glad there was a quick response to prevent any issues. Self reported as the edit option had expired.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Acetone won’t damage the coins, but it will make a mess. Last resort option for sure.

I once acquired a plastic tube of silver dimes. The pvc was so horrendously bad that I ended up using acetone to dissolve the entire tube

19. canudigit

canudigit Active Member

LOL - no worries on me experimenting with solvents of any kind! I have (I think most wisely ) recommended that the owner leave the album as is and let an expert evaluate. Then take it from there based on findings. I been spending a bit of time on Eagle Eye Rare Coins and see some closely matched examples to some in this set. With the asking price(s) I'm seeing there, there is no way I'm tinkering with these album pages!

I will probably only have these in my possession for another day or two - then they are back to the owner to do with as she chooses for a next step. I will have done my best to crash-educate her, with much gratitude to all here for helping me with suggestions and options - and especially enthusiasm! I will miss the grandeur of looking at the wonderful and varied tones that time as bestowed -and studying each one intensely. BUT...I have done my duty and saved them from some local buy/sell shark or two bit auction house. I will not have time to photograph each coin before I return these so last call on any specific requests and I'll do my best.

Dave you did request the 1862 proof - and 1909 S - here are OB/RV of each. You asked about the gold coins from this collection. I do not have those in my possession, but have had a chance to briefly study them. 22 quarter eagles/ Three $3 pieces / Several 1/2 eagles / 1 eagle. NO STELLAS!! Can't win 'em all! Anyway, I may have a chance to check them further but I saw no rarities. I will take a shot of them this week. The silver - as said earlier...nothing of real note - bunch of fairly common Morgans and Peace mostly. The owner and I are coming to the conclusion that the box of Indians and these silvers most likely were originally owned by another family member and not Uncle Daddy Warbucks!

Here ya go- 1862 PR - 1909 S : DSC04171.JPG DSC04172.JPG DSC04166.JPG DSC04169.JPG

20. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

canudiigit@
    Thanks man that 1862 and 1909-s drive me crazy! Tell your friend that with record gold price today those chips are worth more but as mentioned us poor boy would put g/f/and XF in our collections don't melt! She would be wise to let you run with the pennies and Comish, between you , her and appraiser as you have the information to make a real informative decision what's best for her, family,legacy and preservation of a truly once in two lifetime collection. Good Ju-JU out weighs bad mojo 10-1. And this community as well as the world want to see the coins appraised, catalog and sold as a lot! A sweet but sad emotion? Thanks Digit FYI I have most of Morgans except CC's and a couple of o's 1893-s,1903-0, a 1900 o over cc 1884 cc and 1921 d but a bid in on that 1. Most collected coin in the country!!
    FYI I just bought Dave Bowers 6th Morgan Edition and what a good read! But if looking over Morgans Feb coin mag had 10-12 page piece with examples to self grade Morg's before sending out for slabs!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    canudigit likes this.
  21. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

That 09-s is a stunner.

Draft saved Draft deleted