Flowing hair half dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by old49er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi all, I looked for a year or more for this coin to complete my typeset. Finally broke down and bought a copy. Talk about a hard coin to find...in any decent condition was very hard, without spending a small fortune. Do you other type set collectors have this coin? Heres a pic of my copy. looks very close to the real deal. what do you guys think of using a copy?... flowinghairhalfdimecopy.jpg reverseflowinhhairhalfdime.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

For a few years after I resumed collecting in 1998, I bought a few Gallery Mint Museum "coins" (who struck the one you have). A few years later, I decided it was a waste of money and got rid of them. I consider them faithful representations of the originals but someone can potentially spend a lot of money on this stuff.

As for your type set, How is it that you could not find a real flowing hair half dime? Or was it out of your budget?

By my standards, the 1795 is common and the 1794 not really that scarce either, except "grade scarce". Neither are remotely hard to buy.

old49er likes this.
  4. old49er

Hi, yes budget and condition. thanks for the feedback

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is one of the few types that I still don't have, and for the same reason, out of my budget.

old49er and Paul M. like this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

For my type set I've got the 1795.
    Like you said it's the more common date.

old49er and Paul M. like this.
  7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'd buy a copy, too, if I found myself in your situation and didn't want a "hole" or "space."

Steve

old49er likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@Stevearino

IMO it's too bad the government had to spoil this beautiful silver round with the "COPY" stamp.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I've had a couple damaged low grade ones that can be bought under $500. I'm looking for the right one for me tho. A nice original vf-xf

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I bought a whole bunch of counterfeits directly from China as placeholders in my album. Cost me very little and makes looking at the empty holes much easier.

11. old49er

Hi, don't think I would go that far. although I guess, this coin is a counterfeit too. With the exception of the COPY mark. which is required by the hobby protection act. I don't like all the counterfeits floating around without the copy mark. Its a detriment to inexperienced collectors. and a blight on our hobby. Even with the best of personal intentions... so I am willing to sacrifice seeing the COPY smeared across the whole coin, to protect the hobby. just my personal feelings on this issue...best regards

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Actually it is NOT a counterfeit. it is a private mint reproduction stamped "copy."

old49er likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I perfectly get where your coming from, but I find the unmarked counterfeits to be a good educational tool for both myself and those I show them to.

old49er likes this.
  14. old49er

Good idea there, as long as they don't escape captivity to the open market. I agree

15. old49er

perfect description!+1

Draft saved Draft deleted