Floating Frame

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have a little Irish Bar that I made a few years ago for my basement (my parents are from Dublin, Ireland).. great place to have some friends over and socialize. I had been looking for a way to display a few coins there and came across these floating frames. I had seen them before but they were about $20 each so I wasn't sure. I found them on eBay out of China and thought for $1.13 each it was worth a try..lol
    I ordered 3 ($4.05 shipped... big spender!) and they arrived today... took about a month on the slow boat.
    I like the fact that you can see both sides of the coin. For now I put a coin and the label from my 2X2 flip in the frame... may dress that label up at a later date. May also buy some capsules for the coins to ensure there is no reaction to the plastic membrane in the frame.
    I know most members have much nicer coins to display.. but you have to start somewhere.. here is a pic of one of the frames and my little pub.
    Floating Frame.jpg
    Bar2.jpg

Here is a link to the cheap frames on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Size-3D-Floating-Frame-Album-Photo-Coins-Show-Case-Display-Stand-Holder-Box/253065421609?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=552137525377&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Cheers!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah, kool!..thanks for the turn on, i just ordered a couple meself! :)

Clavdivs likes this.
  4. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Same here. My Dad was from Kimmage, on the south side of Dublin.

Those frames are pretty nice. I wonder if they make them larger and without the base. I can imagine them as a wall frame, you could mix up obverse and reverse, and when bored flip it around to display the other side. Though I do wonder what chemicals might be in them to react with the coins.

Alas, basements do not exist in California, so I will never have a 'man cave'.

benhur767 likes this.
  5. ominus1

..now Ken, you don't have to go underground to have a "mancave"... :smuggrin:

6. Ken Dorney

True, but since California is so incredibly expensive to live the houses are very small. No spare rooms, either!

ominus1 likes this.
  7. Clavdivs

Yes - I think I will buy a few capsules.. put the coins in those, then the frame.
    I really do like them (and the price is great).

TIF likes this.
  8. Clavdivs

Dad is from Benburb St... North side (right near the Guinness brewery).. Mom is from Whitehall which is on the south side of Dublin. The moved to Canada in 1963 on their wedding day. It's a great place to visit...

9. Ken Dorney

My cousin is a delivery driver for Guinness. He even managed to appear in a National Geographic special some time back. It is a great place to visit, but I found it was not the poor country my father left (he came over in 1956).

Clavdivs likes this.
  10. ominus1

viola! room partition.jpg

Alegandron likes this.
  11. ominus1

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welll HAIL yes!

ominus1 likes this.
  13. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I love it! The frame and the bar, actually.

Clavdivs likes this.
  14. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

These are great to show coins, these 2 came from the Royal Dutch mint with Alexander the great tetradrachma's and a COA booklet with info about Alex.

measures 4 x 4 x 1 inch magnetic closing flip.

These will hold 4 coins max, I 've seen much bigger ones (empty) for sale.

P1210534.JPG

15. Clavdivs

Look great - the quality of those frames is very high.. for a little over a buck these things are pretty flimsy. But they do the job and I think look pretty good behind the bar.
    Having a pint with my laptop on the bar while I browse CoinTalk is one of my favorite things to do.

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Pretty cool

Clavdivs likes this.
  17. ominus1

..i got a couple of those display frames in over the weekend.. they're purdy kool for a little over a buck shipped! :) i owe someone here a debt of gratitude for posting where to get'em! coin display 001.JPG Edited: thank you @Clavdivs ! ^^

18. Clavdivs

You're welcome! Looks great!!

ominus1 likes this.
  19. ominus1

hehe..well, the DO float..kinda.. i came in from mowing and the coin was settling down towards the bottom..time to flip it over eh?!...^^

Ryro likes this.
  20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Here here to what @ominus1 said! Thanks @Clavdivs :) Great idea! I ordered a few for meself to show off my Alexander iiis (better known as THE GREAT) collection. Namesake to my 2nd baby boy.
    If you ask em they'll tell Ya,
    "We all float up!":singing:
    20180507_225112.jpg

Curtisimo, PlanoSteve, Bing and 6 others like this.
  21. ominus1

floaters.jpg

JoeFromMass and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted