Flips with PVC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1stSgt22, Feb 12, 2021.

1. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Before I joined Coin Talk I thought a flip is a flip is a flip! Of course members here are always teaching me things so I have learned that flips with PVC are not a good thing. Since I have no idea if the flips I have used in the past have PVC or not I have four questions! 1. Do you think I should order all new flips without PVC and replace the ones I have coins in just to be safe or should I just watch my coins and change them out if I see a problem? 2. About how long does it take for damage from PVC to start? 3. If I do find coins I haven't looked at for a while are starting to be damaged from the PVC, is there a method I can use to save the coin from further damage? 4. If I do change out all of the flips, should I do anything to the coins before I put them in the new flips? Again I say thanks for any information you can provide!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

1. Yes, get rid of all PVC flips. Do not wait. 2.damage can start within 4-6 months, so don’t store coins in PVC flips. 3. Here is a good video on conservation: 4.buy Airtites, instead of flips. You can get a cheaper brand on Amazon, and give up storing coins in flips, altogether.

spirityoda and 1stSgt22 like this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

From my experience PVC flips are pliable and won't crack or tear easily when opened and close. the PVC free flips, if you open and close them a couple times they will break along the fold just way more rigid and brittle.

when in doubt change them out. I got away from flips and went to 2x2s and a flat clinch stapler. I didn't like the way flips still allow smaller coins to slide around in them and got concerned about friction over time so went to 2x2s in nickel size and half dollar size which covers all u.s. coins and the coins seem to stay put once they are stapled shut.

to each their own I guess. regardless, PVC = bad.

Inspector43 and 1stSgt22 like this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Do they smell like a new shower curtain?

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

As far as dealing with the PVC exposure, you'd want to visually inspect each one after removing them from the flip, look for signs of discoloration on the coin, slime, or what appears like a water mark that dried up. if all is well, just switching the flip is fine. if there is PVC degradation that is affecting the coin, then you'd want to remove it. it should be relatively obvious though, the flip will be gross and the coin won't look like it did when you put it in there if it's being affected. slightly sticky? Funny smell to it? anything that isn't normal that would tip you off to there being a PVC contamination issue.

First though is finding out if there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. there may not be yet. Even the PVC flips are pretty much problem free for the first 6 months of storing in them, after that you start the gambling though, the clock is ticking.

it's actually the plasticizers in the PVC flips that degrades and leeches out of them onto the coins along with the chlorides over time. PVC is hard, but the more plasticizer is in it, the softer it becomes (hence the shower curtain smell that Evan asked about :) ) and if you've ever kept a shower curtain way too long, you'd of noticed it loses the smell and becomes brittle in spots and start cracking, that's the Plastizer leeching out over time.

there's plenty of threads and info on how to treat PVC contamination, or just acetone dipping coins before putting them away to remove any possible contaminants from the surfaces. but, lets see if there's any problems first, then worry about how to correct it if it's even there.

PVC flips can last a long time unless the collection is stored in less than ideal conditions like a hot garage or 120 degree attic, or a humid/damp environment so there may not be any issue started yet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Penny Luster and 1stSgt22 like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best to change them out rather than risk damage to your coins.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am with @Collecting Nut. Flips are cheap and if you aren’t sure.... Yeah, replace them. PVC flips feel rather rubbery and can smell like a new shower curtain. And they do damage coins over a period of time. Just two weeks ago I needed a few flips. Asked my dealer, he reached in his drawer and gave me a handful no charge.... They are silly cheap. Be safe-not sorry.

9. Collecting Nut

If the flips contain PVC and you notice damage, the damage is done. @Randy Abercrombie is correct, be safe-not sorry.

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I use flips for some of my 'Work In Process' ancients. It is easy to see both sides, easy to get in and out and I can put a note with them. I don't think it affects ancient bronze that much and they aren't in there long. I don't use them for anything else.

1stSgt22 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

New flips ordered today! Now the time consuming part begins!! LOL

12. Collecting Nut

Yes but you'll have fun enjoying your coins as you move forward. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Don't think so but my sense of smell is terrible!!!

14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Yes I will, want to or not!! :rolleyes:

Collecting Nut likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

I understand but have fun with them.

16. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

So! I got the new flips this weekend and opened them up today. They have a very chemical smell. Contacted the company where I ordered them, (ordered from them in the past with no problem) and they told me it is a smell from the cardboard but the flips are Mylar and contain no PVC! She said they will air out. She also said they get their flips from Canada! I opened one pack of cent flips today and spread them out in the garage. Will see what happens! Anyone else ever had this problem? Where do you buy your flips? Thanks!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted