Featured FLIP FLIP...PHILIPPOPOLIS!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, Mar 19, 2018.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well. I've been working a ton for the last three weeks with no days off so now that I do have time at home, I can open and post all of the packages that have been coming in over that time.

I find myself enjoying collecting the Provincial pieces from Septimius Severus and Julia Domna more and more as time passes. Hence, the title above. Strangely, I am not even 100% certain that I have the attribution right for Philippopolis, but then again, I feel more strongly that it is right than that it is wrong. In any case, I have some Provincials that I would like to share with you.

6229 6230.jpg

As is usually the case, I find myself buying imperfect examples that fit my budget. As you can see here the legends are partially off of the flan on both sides and also there is a bit of edge damage here. Overall the coin is pretty in hand as my pictures are the usual hot mess. Here is what I think for this coin. It's obviously Tyche on the reverse but I could be off on the attribution still.

Septimius Severus, AE20, ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ
    AE20
    Roman Provincial
    Philippopolis, Thrace
    Septimius Severus
    Augustus: 193 - 211AD
    20.0 x 18.0mm 5.00gr 6h
    O: AVTO K CEVHPOC; Laureate head, right.
    R: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟ-ΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ; Tyche standing left, kalathos on head, right hand resting on rudder, left holding cornucopia.
    Philippopolis, Thrace Mint
    Varbanov 1316; Moushmov 5285.

This second piece is already a favorite coin of mine. Big and chunky at 29mm, the portrait is expressive and the reverse is fairly strong in detail as well. Now I will say that I do not feel like I am expert by any means but I could beat the average person off of the street when it comes to figuring out Greek legends. I bought this coin as unattributed beyond "Septimius Severus, Provincial." Considering the ending of the word OLEITWN and the group of I's and O's at the beginning, I figured I better start in the J's looking for a polis of some sort. Well, lo and behold, Juliopolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliopolis

As it turns out, it was a stop for Hadrian on his tour of the Empire as well. This is a neat blog which follows Hadrian's travels.

https://followinghadrian.com/2017/1...n-reaches-juliopolis-in-bithynia-hadrian1900/

In any case, enough chit chat. If anyone has any information about Juliopolis, I would be happy to have it. Send it my way, please.

6168 6169.jpg

Septimius Severus, AE29, IOVΛΙΟΠΟΛεΙΤΩΝ
    AE29
    Roman Provincial
    Juliopolis, Bithynia
    Septimius Severus
    Issued: ?
    29.0mm 9.90gr 7h
    O: AV K Λ CεΠΤΙ CεYHPOC ΠΟΡ; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right. Beaded border.
    R: IOVΛΙΟΠ-ΟΛεΙΤΩΝ; Zeus seated left, holding scepter in left hand, patera in right. Beaded border.
    Juliopolis Mint
    BMC 5; Lindgren I 124; Waddington 10

Asia Minor Roman Empire 031918.jpg

@Mat sold me a didrachm of Marcus Aurelius about three years ago with Mt. Argaeus of Cappadocia, Caesarea on it. I was enraptured by the quirky little mountain in Turkey (ha, quirky Turkey) and have added pieces of other emperors over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erciyes

4297 4298.jpg

Marcus Aurelius, Didrachm,ΥΠΑ-ΤΟC Γ
    AR Didrachm
    Roman Provincial Caesaria, Cappadocia
    Marcus Aurelius
    Caesar: 140 - 161AD
    Augustus: 161 - 180AD
    20.0mm 5.80gr
    O: ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC CEB; Bare head, right.
    R: ΥΠΑ-ΤΟC Γ; Mount Argaeus surmounted by a statue of Helios, holding globe and scepter.
    Metcalf, Caesarea 129a; Sydenham, Caesarea 321.

Finally I found an issue of Septimius Severus that was better than one I could live with and could actually enjoy.

6158 6159.jpg

Septimius Severus, Drachm, MHTPOΠΟ ΚΑΙCAPIA
    AR Drachm
    Roman Provincial
    Cappadocia, Caesarea
    Septimius Severus
    Issued: 193 - 194AD
    15.0mm 3.14gr 11h
    O: AYΛ CεΠ CεΟYHPOC; Laureate bust, right.
    R: MHTPOΠΟ ΚΑΙCAPIA; Mt. Argaeus, surmounted by star.
    Cappadocia Mint
    Emerge: ETB [Year 2]
    Sydenham 388a, var. (reverse legend); SNG Cop 256; SNG Von Aulock 6456.
    Kairos Numismatic Auction 3, Lot 288.
    2/24/18 3/14/18

Finally, an issue for Julia Domna. This is from Hypaepa, Lydia which is now in the Western part of Turkey. This is the first I had heard of Hypaepa, which sits in Lydia, part of the old Achaemenid Empire.

Lydia Towns 50AD 031918.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypaepa

Artemis Anaitis is an adaptation of the Iranian goddess Anahita. The deity carries the dual name as it appears that the Persian goddess Anahita became known as Anaitis and conflated with Artemis (or Diana, if you prefer) as both goddess were associated with fertility. Most likely the worship of this eastern goddess was initiated well before Roman arrival but continued as part of local custom. I won't get into it much more here. As you will see by the link, there is too much to get into in a Provincials thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anahita

6231 6232.jpg

Julia Domna, AE22, ΕΠΙ ΙΕΡΑΚΟC ΥΠΑΙΠ-ΗΝΩΝ
    AE22
    Roman Provincial
    Hypaepa, Lydia
    Magistrate: Hierakos
    Julia Domna
    Born circa: 170AD - Died: 217AD
    Augusta: 193 - 217AD
    22.0mm 5.40gr 6h
    O: ΙΟνΛΙΑ CεΒΑCTH; Draped bust, right. Countermark: Artemis Anaitis, facing.
    R: ΕΠΙ ΙΕΡΑΚΟC ΥΠΑΙΠ-ΗΝΩΝ; Tetrastyle temple with curved architrave. Artemis Anaitis facing within.
    SNG Turkey V, 385; SNG Turkey VII, 331-3; Leopold I 997; Watermark: Howgego 233.
    Ex. Walter Holt, 12/2013; Australia M.R. Roberts, Wynyard Coin Centre; Ex.Seaver.
    Published on Wildwinds, 12/2013.
    ajenkidu 183078748406
    2/25/18 3/19/18

The funny thing about this coin is that when I went to look for a more proper attribution than just the city name, I checked Wildwinds before acsearch. When I checked Wildwinds, I was surprised at how closely the coins matched. But I was tired and didn't think anything of it. When I went to take a second look and copy down information on the holder only then did I notice IT WAS THE SAME COIN. It had been posted in December of 2013 so it has had some time to get around as I received it from Australia in the mail.

Well, now that the longest post ever is done, share some Provincials or anything related to the pile above! Thanks for reading!

TypeCoin971793, TIF, Nerva and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The first coin is definitely from Philippopolis like this coin in my collection:

Severus Philippopolis.jpg
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    Roman Provincial Æ (diassarion?) 17.7 mm; 4.06 g
    Thrace, Philippopolis
    Obv: ΑV Κ Λ CΕVΗΡΟC, laureate and draped bust right
    Rev: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤ-ΩΝ, lion walking left; ox's head before
    Refs: Moushmov 5274 var. (lion walking right); Varbanov 1305.

TIF, ominus1, Bing and 8 others like this.
  4. nicholasz219

@Roman Collector Thanks pal, I appreciate the vote of confidence there! Also, very nice coin! I've yet to purchase a lion from Phil.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some great coins, good score. Terrific rendering of Mt. Argaeus and also you can't go wrong with Artemis coinage.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Cool additions!
    71OTCrkYJAL._UX425_.jpg

TIF, ominus1, nicholasz219 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, Nic.

nicholasz219 likes this.
  8. nicholasz219

@Ancient Aussie I appreciate the compliment. I quite enjoy the rendering myself.

@randygeki You are my new favorite person. I own that shirt.

@Mat Thanks pal. For the like and getting me started.

Ancient Aussie and randygeki like this.
  9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Such a great show.

nicholasz219 and Orange Julius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted