"Flat pack Tombstone"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Nov 22, 2015.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have seen references to coins being embedded and/ or somehow else being left on tombstones as a show of respect to the deceased. However, I don't know if this answers your question correctly.

4. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I believe the reference is to early NGC slabs, take a look at the image of the reverse of that coin.

[​IMG]

5. fish4uinmd

Yes, I'm familiar with that...especially veterans headstones. If you had merely met them, you would leave a penny or a nickel...if you had actually been in battle with them, you would leave a quarter or 50C. Thanks.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The slab is commonly called a no-line fatty.

Never heard it called a flat pack b4

7. fish4uinmd

Thanks, I have heard of the "fatty".

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've never heard them called "flat packs" either, but in the early years of slabbing they were sometimes referred to as tombstones.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That's interesting. Got a Jefferson the other day in a slab like that. The nickname makes sense.

10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Even the Mint's "flatpack" seems redundant. Why would something housing flat U.S coins be anything else but flat?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The proof sets before 1955 came is small square boxes. After 1955 they were in the flat pliofilm holders. The 1955 sets came both ways and the term "flat pack" came about to differentiate the two types (box and flat pack).

mas4492, tommyc03 and longnine009 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted